Arrival is the latest film by director Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Sicario), starring Amy Adams (Brenda in Catch Me If You Can, Mary in The Muppets), Jeremy Renner (Hansel in Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Aaron Cross in The Bourne Legacy), and Forest Whitaker (Charles in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Ker in Battlefield Earth). Based on Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang, it is a sci-fi film about the arrival of an alien ship and mankind's attempt to communicate with it.

The film will make its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 2 before hitting theaters on November 11. If this is as good as Villeneuve's other works, there will be high hopes for his Blade Runner sequel.

Arrival @ IMDb

Denis Villeneuve feels like our national treasure and I have no shame in admitting how much of a fan I am, ever since "Polytechnique". His last film, "Sicario", was an absolute masterpiece and I can't even begin to describe how excited I am to see him take on sci-fi. This looks great so far!

I'm not going to get a sitter for my 1 year-old, but I'm curious enough to check it out when it comes out on video.

And what's up with your acting credits, A7? I feel like you left out the roles a lot of us best know some of these actors...

AjyieKo.jpg

I saw the trailer and I'm not sure if I'm interested or not. I just hope it's not a tease like contact.

The problem with Contact was that while it was well made it missed the message of the book entirely. The book is very boring, just have to warn you on that if you never read it.

Why talk to aliens if you can't even talk to your own mother?

So... Aliens master FTL travel and come millions of lightyears across the galaxy to...

GET SHOT AT WITH EARTH WEAPONS.

Me and my buddy were talking about this last night. Almost every "aliens come to earth and we're scared" movie has something like this.

We can barely travel to the moon. We can't get people to mars yet. These aliens covered the vast expanse of space, are HOVERING over several places around the earth and the best we can come up with is a military response?

It's cliche and it's dumb.

Which isn't to say I think this movie will be, because I enjoyed the trailer. Just a nitpick for this type of movie in general.

I guess the first question is, especially when you can't communicate yet, is who is going to be the wolf..?

Keeping in mind, we have plenty of instances in our history where it is never good to be the primitive. We also don't know what the aliens are doing, other than just hanging there. They're all around the planet and we can't talk to them. It's llke a stranger standing silently at your front door, and not you or the police or military can do anything about him. At some point, you're going to punch.

Edited by Thom

You'd think an advanced race would be wise enough culturally to know that just dropping in on a primitive species with no attempt at communication would spark a panic of some sort. Even communicating some basic math would be sufficient.

Edited by Shadow

I'm not going to get a sitter for my 1 year-old, but I'm curious enough to check it out when it comes out on video.

And what's up with your acting credits, A7? I feel like you left out the roles a lot of us best know some of these actors...

That's because we all know Renner is Hawkeye and Amy Adams is Lois Lane, so why not expand one's knowledge of films by listing some lesser-known roles?

That's because we all know Renner is Hawkeye and Amy Adams is Lois Lane, so why not expand one's knowledge of films by listing some lesser-known roles?

Fair enough, I just think that including that one big role is helpful for people like me that will later go, "Aha! That's where I know him/her from!"

I mean, sure, you say "Jeremy Renner" and I'll immediately think of Hawkeye. But you say "Amy Adams" and I say, "that name rings a bell," watch the trailer, say "Man, does she look familiar," then look her up on IMDB before realizing that she was in Man of Steel, since I sort of blocked that one out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to see it...while high spectacle sci-fi can be a lot of fun, slow burners like Ex-Machina and this are excellent when done well. Looking forward to seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back. A good movie, definitely cerebral like Ex-Machina, though less action oriented.

My wife gives it thumbs up too.

There's a mention of one of the ships being about 1500 meters long and some shots inside the ship that would allow for forty-foot tall people to walk through. Obviously I've got Macross on the brain.

Enjoyed it a lot- true there was drama, but it served the greater story. I liked how practically the situation was portrayed; like most good speculative sci-fi, it leaves you thinking, 'what if...'

I think my favourite part is that none of the characters seem to hold the Idiot Ball for the sake of the plot. Even the military, so often portrayed as either unthinking warmongers or useless antagonists, had their time to shine. They all acted as they should, given their roles and motivations.

That was such a refreshing breath of fresh air.

• 6 months later...