Mission 19: Eternal Songs  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Mikumo story time!)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (This show feels like it's going on for an eternity)

Is this the most significant episode of any Macross show ever?

It directly, unabashedly links all previous shows together

It directly connects Var to the Vajra

It dropped music from all prior series

I mean, its basically a giant info dump, but its a heck of an info dump

Curious what the "cargo" that berger brought on board was

oh yeah . . Haya Haya x Mira Mira for life man. Its a real connection, not just a space bacteria/fold quartz/rune fueled addiction

Edited by OptionZero

Loved the episode from a universe building narrative, but have to agree that more effort could have been made to pre-load the instances so to make this an "Aha" episode where the hints are pulled together.

Mikumo as an android? Perhaps she is the infusion of Sharon's AI into a clone body, which is why she never felt fear until she was in the ruins, a form of self preservation Sharon hadn't experienced since 2040. ~OR~ She is a clone or the resuscitated "Star Singer" of Windermerean legend, which would explain her flashbacks.

So Lady M was around during the Great Space War... Hmmm, I want to think it would be Milia, but that would be too easy and we saw no evidence of this interest in M7. Mylene wasn't even born yet, so the only other "M's" that we know of at that time was Shammy Milliome or May. I considered Myung Fang Lone but she wasn't born yet.

Perhaps the weaponizing of song by the PC is what sparked the civil war? The weapon has mind control properties and that would be a threat similar to the mind control properties of the hive mind of the Vajra. Using that tech to subdue the aggressiveness of the Zenradi and as a defense to any PD threats (which appeared to still be a thing at the time) does raise some interesting questions.

The whole mind control idea of song definitely harkens back to the elements of Macross 2 and how the Mardook controlled their Zentradi soldiers.

Epsilon Corp is certainly playing both sides of the conflict and may well be an ally to the Galaxy Emigration ship that has yet to be found.

So the Var is a mutated V-type virus that adapted to humanoids and can be triggered by the ancient PC defensive song barrier. This is certainly a Roid discovery as he seems to have engineered the conditions to turn it into a mind control device.

This episode further distances the official continuity from the 1982 SDFM series, showing the DYRL version of the Macross as the actual design for the ship rather than the TV version. It also gives greater prominence to the events depicted in DYRL as historical with the mention of the ancient PC song DYRL that was found on Altiria and never mentioned in SDFM.

Edited by Zinjo

the flashbacks could also be artistic license, as the dyrl movie would have been more well known circa 2067, what was interesting was him namedropping that the ancient pc song(dyrl) was actually used in the final battle. i imagine what actually happened to be an amalgam of what we saw in SDFtv and DYRL, but with the dyrl design aesthetic taking precedence. also i liked how they brought up the sharon apple incident in more detail, something 7 and plus really didnt touch too much on other than a small reference or two. My gut feeling despite Berger saying that lady M was someone who has been researching song tech since space war I, is that lady M is myung. Im sure she had a lot of input on how sharon was designed along with the effects sharon had on people were somewhat similar to the mind control from songs displayed in delta var aside. Myung also seemed to be more comfortable in a producer kind of position than singing in the foreground. i Imagine she likely got some hush money from spacy post sharon apple incident and used that to start up Xaos. My second bet is, i highly doubt mikumo is an android, im betting she's an actual protoculture, her flashbacks would seem to support that theory. also wouldn't be surprised if the legendary "Starsingers" are merely Anima Spiritia and that windemerian's wind singers are a less potent diet Anima Spiritia.

the flashbacks could also be artistic license, as the dyrl movie would have been more well known circa 2067, what was interesting was him namedropping that the ancient pc song(dyrl) was actually used in the final battle. i imagine what actually happened to be an amalgam of what we saw in SDFtv and DYRL, but with the dyrl design aesthetic taking precedence. also i liked how they brought up the sharon apple incident in more detail, something 7 and plus really didnt touch too much on other than a small reference or two. My gut feeling despite Berger saying that lady M was someone who has been researching song tech since space war I, is that lady M is myung. Im sure she had a lot of input on how sharon was designed along with the effects sharon had on people were somewhat similar to the mind control from songs displayed in delta var aside. Myung also seemed to be more comfortable in a producer kind of position than singing in the foreground. i Imagine she likely got some hush money from spacy post sharon apple incident and used that to start up Xaos. My second bet is, i highly doubt mikumo is an android, im betting she's an actual protoculture, her flashbacks would seem to support that theory. also wouldn't be surprised if the legendary "Starsingers" are merely Anima Spiritia and that windemerian's wind singers are a less potent diet Anima Spiritia.

I don't share that view.

SDFM's ownership is not exclusively Big West's internationally and I am sure BW is looking at that when Satellite is referencing older Macross shows. DYRL is not exactly in dispute with Tatsunoko as the international rights to the film are such a briar patch, no one is willing to spend the money to sort them out and lay a claim to any international rights. So it can still be considered BW property. Though it is highly doubtful BW would try to release it internationally for that reason and the fact that they failed to defend their trademarks to the Macross property outside of Japan (US, Canada, UK, South America, etc...) against Harmony Gold.

IMHO they still can reclaim their trademarks if they wanted to and I would expect they have more money to do it than HG does to defend these erroneous claims made by the US licenser. Especially now that the Robotech show is waning in popularity despite Sony's interest in making a live action move. With SDFM unavailable to Sony (due to BW's unwillingness to partner with the Tatsunoko Studio and by extension HG who both hold the international rights to the "animation" of the show) to turn into a movie they have to rely on the Southern Cross and Mospeada series as sources for their film.

Edited by Zinjo

You've got the wrong date... it was around 497,000 BCE when the Protoculture started to work on engineering a sub-Protoculture species on ancient Earth. They came back after their whole civilization collapsed, about 10-20,000 BCE, to leave the Birdman behind with orders to kill the species off if humanity started to repeat the Protoculture's mistakes.

Roid, as a researcher into the ancient Protoculture, certainly seemed to think that humanity was one of the older sub-Protoculture species... it's part of his belief that Windermere was the world where the Protoculture seeded their appointed successors, on the belief that their status as the youngest of the created species meant the ones that came before were flawed or unworthy.

For the most part, yeah... the Protoculture were "abusive precursors" who made a big mess and died out, leaving the species they created to pick up the pieces. Humanity and the other sub-Protoculture species were slave races engineered to prepare their worlds for colonization by the Protoculture.

Still, the Birdman and the archive on Lux show that the ancient Protoculture were starting to cotton on to the lesson that they had been massive dicks and at least expressed a wish those species they'd created would learn from their mistakes.

Definitely on board with the inital date Seto of 497K. The chronology gives that. But everyone keeps saying the PC returned in the second dated time. If you go off DYRL it does make sense. But the chronology doesn't mention it either. It does state that after roughly 5 yrs surveying and manipulating the gene's of certain lifeforms on Earth to create a sub PC for future colonization that the survey ship departed and was destroyed on its way back to the Stellar Republic or wherever by factions opposed to the Stellar Republic and that all records of earth and humanity were lost. The question now is what do we really consider canon. This is where mixing 2 series with some parts being canon and some not is starting to contradict pre-established timelines/canon. But also you have the contradiction in the dating of the Birdman craft. The scientist did state in M Zero that when it was here on earth the average human cranial capacity was 1200 cc, which would place it with heidleberg aferensis or possibly neanderthals 200k to 600K.. I don't want to come off as so much argumentative with you, just pointing out how some of the canon is getting "skewed" by the acceptance of DYRL as canon also without specifics as too what parts by SK.

Edited by grigolosi

I don't share that view.

SDFM's ownership is not exclusively Big West's internationally and I am sure BW is looking at that when Satellite is referencing older Macross shows. DYRL is not exactly in dispute with Tatsunoko as the international rights to the film are such a briar patch, no one is willing to spend the money to sort them out and lay a claim to any international rights. So it can still be considered BW property. Though it is highly doubtful BW would try to release it internationally for that reason and the fact that they failed to defend their trademarks to the Macross property outside of Japan (US, Canada, UK, South America, etc...) against Harmony Gold.

IMHO they still can reclaim their trademarks if they wanted to and I would expect they have more money to do it than HG does to defend these erroneous claims made by the US licenser. Especially now that the Robotech show is waning in popularity despite Sony's interest in making a live action move. With SDFM unavailable to Sony (due to BW's unwillingness to partner with the Tatsunoko Studio and by extension HG who both hold the international rights to the "animation" of the show) to turn into a movie they have to rely on the Southern Cross and Mospeada series as sources for their film.

yeah, in my gaijin's POV, SDFM/SDCSC&Mos are rape victums that one wants to try and rescue for fear of being more victumized. Pride & Shame have larger impacts on this... :/

If Windermere is Delta's equivalent to WWII Germany (with some ideas from WWII Japan thrown in), I bet Epsilon would be in a similar role to Sweden, which supplied equipment to both sides. Another thing is that the SV-262 is inspired by the Saab J-35, a Swedish fighter, and the rifles used by NUNS and Windermere resemble the Bofors Ak 5 rifle with a HK G36 carrying handle.

My gut feeling despite Berger saying that lady M was someone who has been researching song tech since space war I, is that lady M is myung. Im sure she had a lot of input on how sharon was designed along with the effects sharon had on people were somewhat similar to the mind control from songs displayed in delta var aside. Myung also seemed to be more comfortable in a producer kind of position than singing in the foreground. i Imagine she likely got some hush money from spacy post sharon apple incident and used that to start up Xaos.

Hmmm the only reason, and really this could go either way, I doubt Lady M is Myung because of the fact that Isamu is part of SMS. Now depending on how you view their relationships that's why it could be evidence either way.

• If Isamu and Myung stayed together you would think they would want to stay near each other so it doesn't make sense for them to be half a galaxy away on different assignments for potentially rival companies
  • On the other hand... Isamu was always flying to his tune so settling down wouldn't really fit his personality. The relationship falls apart and he takes a job to where he can get half a galaxy away. Myung goes back into musical research due to her participation from the Sharon Apple incident.
  • ... on the super other hand (ie I'm stretching so much I should be teaching yoga). If they were still together and Lady M is running the Chaos with the aim of unlocking more PC knowledge around fold waves maybe they planned together to make it look like they fell apart to plant Isamu as a spy within SMS to gather intel into their research regarding fold waves and quartz.

I don't share that view.

Were you responding to the right person? I don't follow your response to Bob_Coffee's post (could be me being dense).

I got lazy and should have edited his quote down to what I was responding to, like below:

the flashbacks could also be artistic license, as the dyrl movie would have been more well known circa 2067, what was interesting was him namedropping that the ancient pc song(dyrl) was actually used in the final battle. i imagine what actually happened to be an amalgam of what we saw in SDFtv and DYRL, but with the dyrl design aesthetic taking precedence.

Is this remotely possible?

So with all the mentioning of Mayan, the fact that the Windemerean Protoculture ship looks

alot like the Birdman jacked on steroids. Plus a mysterious figure that has appeared ever so briefly

as witnessed by Heinz & Mikumo. Just wondering if I'm the only one who felt that last scene of Mikumo

looked very familiar. The moment I saw her in that containment unit with green fluid, this scene from

Mac Zero instantly popped in my mind.

I spotted that also! And it's interesting how there was no mention of Sara

I'm probably off by long shot so far it's nuts..... but what if.... Sara Nome will return from where ever she disappeared to??

Is this remotely possible?

So with all the mentioning of Mayan, the fact that the Windemerean Protoculture ship looks

alot like the Birdman jacked on steroids. Plus a mysterious figure that has appeared ever so briefly

as witnessed by Heinz & Mikumo. Just wondering if I'm the only one who felt that last scene of Mikumo

looked very familiar. The moment I saw her in that containment unit with green fluid, this scene from

Mac Zero instantly popped in my mind.

I'm probably off by long shot so far it's nuts..... but what if.... Sara Nome will return from where ever she disappeared to??

I spotted that also, I found it interesting there was no mention of the events in M0. I think there's a connection between Sarah Nome the Windmereans and Mikumo!

I think Lady M is either Mao or Misa.

I spotted that also, I found it interesting there was no mention of the events in M0. I think there's a connection between Sarah Nome the Windmereans and Mikumo!

Good to know I'm not the only one who caught that. I'm looking forward to the Finale of Delta, will be interesting to see who or what Lady M is & how this war plays out. B))

I dunno. This isn't the first time we've seen these tanks. The last time Freja and Mikumo were affected by a PC ruin they were both in similar tanks. I suspect it is filled with some sort of healing accelerant.

M is obviously Dame Judy Dench.

Pfft, obviously... :rolleyes:

The one thing I kept asking myself this episode was why do people still need to wear glasses with all the major advances in technology that has been developed over the many years? And, aren't Windmearians supposed to be super human? So, what's with Roids glasses?

Edited by sharky

Perhaps the weaponizing of song by the PC is what sparked the civil war? The weapon has mind control properties and that would be a threat similar to the mind control properties of the hive mind of the Vajra. Using that tech to subdue the aggressiveness of the Zenradi and as a defense to any PD threats (which appeared to still be a thing at the time) does raise some interesting questions.

That wouldn't be consistent with the established timeline materials from the original series and Macross 7 that say the Protoculture's civil war was caused by the overexpansion of the Stellar Republic and existing internal schisms.

This episode further distances the official continuity from the 1982 SDFM series, showing the DYRL version of the Macross as the actual design for the ship rather than the TV version. It also gives greater prominence to the events depicted in DYRL as historical with the mention of the ancient PC song DYRL that was found on Altiria and never mentioned in SDFM.

Not necessarily. You're forgetting the basic fact that, while Big West and Kawamori have mixed visual aesthetics from the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Macross: Do You Remember Love? more or less freely, they favor the TV series continuity for the events of the First Space War on the timeline. There are also several versions of the First Space War narrative (like Macross the First) that follow the whole TV series narrative with the DYRL? Macross design and Daedalus and Prometheus instead of ARMDs. It's pretty clear this is an aesthetic substitution, given that Berger Stone's little presentation shows the initial appearance of the ASS-1 as the Supervision Army design from the original series.

Kawamori's view that there is no one "true" version of the First Space War would kind of mean you're overthinking it.

Definitely on board with the inital date Seto of 497K. The chronology gives that. But everyone keeps saying the PC returned in the second dated time. If you go off DYRL it does make sense. But the chronology doesn't mention it either. It does state that after roughly 5 yrs surveying and manipulating the gene's of certain lifeforms on Earth to create a sub PC for future colonization that the survey ship departed and was destroyed on its way back to the Stellar Republic or wherever by factions opposed to the Stellar Republic and that all records of earth and humanity were lost. The question now is what do we really consider canon. This is where mixing 2 series with some parts being canon and some not is starting to contradict pre-established timelines/canon. But also you have the contradiction in the dating of the Birdman craft. The scientist did state in M Zero that when it was here on earth the average human cranial capacity was 1200 cc, which would place it with heidleberg aferensis or possibly neanderthals 200k to 600K.. I don't want to come off as so much argumentative with you, just pointing out how some of the canon is getting "skewed" by the acceptance of DYRL as canon also without specifics as too what parts by SK.

OK, forget DYRL? in terms of its plot. As far as the ongoing Macross timeline is concerned it's an in-universe work of fiction.

DYRL?'s design aesthetics get substituted into Macross works from time to time because the creators like them better... it makes the Zentradi look more alien, the designs are more polished, etc. Even Berger's presentation affirms, for the most part, that the First Space War happened along TV series lines (with DYRL? aesthetics). The Macross was a Supervision Army gunship (TV ver.), and we see her launch without arms.

I went back and looked over the official publications for anything that's said about when the Birdman was installed, and I've found the source of the confusion. People (myself included) were assuming the Birdman was installed a few tens of thousands of years ago because it was buried for tens of thousands of years. Macross Chronicle confirms the Mayan native account that the Birdman was activated tens of thousands of years ago and shut itself down by separating its head and body. So the reason dating it by the geological strata it was found in produced a date only a few tens of thousands of years ago is that it was buried twice: once in ancient prehistory and once in slightly less ancient prehistory.

The apparent contradiction is our fault, not Macross's creators.

I've been thinking about Mirage and Mikumo lately, and how Mirage doesn't really know her famous family and Mikumo doesn't have any close relations with anyone. What it Mirage is like a physical avatar for Mikumo for her to try to interact with society normally?

I've been thinking about Mirage and Mikumo lately, and how Mirage doesn't really know her famous family and Mikumo doesn't have any close relations with anyone. What it Mirage is like a physical avatar for Mikumo for her to try to interact with society normally?

What????? Am I reading something wrong or are you working under the impresion that Mikumo isn't an actual physical person.

There is a near certanty that she is something other than a gander issue human but she is a real person.

What????? Am I reading something wrong or are you working under the impresion that Mikumo isn't an actual physical person.

There is a near certanty that she is something other than a gander issue human but she is a real person.

Oh I believe Mikumo is a real physical person. It's Mirage I was talking about. Like Mirage is clearly a physical being, but is she really real? Or just a duplicate or avatar to let Mikumo assume a normal life outside of her Walkure performances.

Just a theory, so it's probably not going to happen.

The one thing I kept asking myself this episode was why do people still need to wear glasses with all the major advances in technology that has been developed over the many years? And, aren't Windmearians supposed to be super human? So, what's with Roids glasses?

Well, we have the technology for laser eye surgery RIGHT NOW, and it's not like people are lining up to get it done. Costs aside, it doesn't always work, and in fact can even make things worse for some people. Others simply are not physically capable to be fixed by the procedure in the first place.

Heck, in the (original) Star Trek movies, a minor plot point was about Kirk's developing near-sightedness, and how he was allergic to whatever miracle drug would normally be used, hence his own need for reading glasses. Suffice it to say that no matter the ailment, there's always a percentage of the population for which it won't work. And why in this case, glasses are needed for Macross-related reasons. :)

Mark

It's the same reason Grace needed glasses... so that they could seem intellectual, or more to the point, it's a fashion statement. Grace with her cyborg body needed glasses like she needed another appendage. For Roid, his glassware collection probably puts Imelda's shoe collection to shame, I think that shoe collection is still sitting somewhere in Hawaii. May be he is just very fashionable.

Heck, Max still wore glasses in Mac 7; and I'm pretty sure it wasn't for seeing at a distance

That wouldn't be consistent with the established timeline materials from the original series and Macross 7 that say the Protoculture's civil war was caused by the overexpansion of the Stellar Republic and existing internal schisms.

Not necessarily. You're forgetting the basic fact that, while Big West and Kawamori have mixed visual aesthetics from the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Macross: Do You Remember Love? more or less freely, they favor the TV series continuity for the events of the First Space War on the timeline. There are also several versions of the First Space War narrative (like Macross the First) that follow the whole TV series narrative with the DYRL? Macross design and Daedalus and Prometheus instead of ARMDs. It's pretty clear this is an aesthetic substitution, given that Berger Stone's little presentation shows the initial appearance of the ASS-1 as the Supervision Army design from the original series.

Kawamori's view that there is no one "true" version of the First Space War would kind of mean you're overthinking it.

OK, forget DYRL? in terms of its plot. As far as the ongoing Macross timeline is concerned it's an in-universe work of fiction.

DYRL?'s design aesthetics get substituted into Macross works from time to time because the creators like them better... it makes the Zentradi look more alien, the designs are more polished, etc. Even Berger's presentation affirms, for the most part, that the First Space War happened along TV series lines (with DYRL? aesthetics). The Macross was a Supervision Army gunship (TV ver.), and we see her launch without arms.

I went back and looked over the official publications for anything that's said about when the Birdman was installed, and I've found the source of the confusion. People (myself included) were assuming the Birdman was installed a few tens of thousands of years ago because it was buried for tens of thousands of years. Macross Chronicle confirms the Mayan native account that the Birdman was activated tens of thousands of years ago and shut itself down by separating its head and body. So the reason dating it by the geological strata it was found in produced a date only a few tens of thousands of years ago is that it was buried twice: once in ancient prehistory and once in slightly less ancient prehistory.

The apparent contradiction is our fault, not Macross's creators.

That definitely clears up quite a lot. The DYRL aesthetics were definitely better in most regards and I can understand that substitution. I suspected that with the Birdman. That scene in M0, the scientist mentioned the head had been separated back when our cranial capacity was 1200cc and then if you watch in one of the episodes you see cave painting showing humans fighting with spears while the Birdman is watching. But that definitely clarifies this whole Berger/PC issue brought up by this episode. Thanks Seto for the info.

Edited by grigolosi

Enjoyed this episode waaaaaaaaaaaay more than I thought I would. It's good to finally get a more concrete explanation for everything that's been going on, and it has improved my opinion of the series so far, which I was starting to lose faith in. Good to see Mirage finally getting in on the action too.

On the other hand I feel like Delta has to be pretty alienating to new viewers with the way it leans so heavily on past continuity and familiarity with the concept of The Protoculture and all that.

Ah well, as an avid fan it's cool to see a kind of grand unified theory for song in the Macross universe

the flashbacks could also be artistic license, as the dyrl movie would have been more well known circa 2067, what was interesting was him namedropping that the ancient pc song(dyrl) was actually used in the final battle. i imagine what actually happened to be an amalgam of what we saw in SDFtv and DYRL, but with the dyrl design aesthetic taking precedence.

Assuming Shoji Kawamori had more creative control (as director and story writer) over DYRL than he did with SDFM, I would suppose it's also natural for him to lift key plot elements more from his "baby" than from SDFM.

Regarding Epsilon and Berger playing both sides, as they claimed to have NUNS authorization, but were selling defense equipment to Windermere (which has a trade embargo), I bet they will lose their license, as such action would be a violation of export control laws.

At this point it would just be hear say without hard evidence. I'm sure Epsilion if caught would play it off as a rogue "off shore" contractor doing something on their own. They'd pay a fine/bribe and then have the issue buried.

At this point it would just be hear say without hard evidence. I'm sure Epsilion if caught would play it off as a rogue "off shore" contractor doing something on their own. They'd pay a fine/bribe and then have the issue buried.

Real life breaches of export control laws have resulted in the entire company involved getting fined for the actions of a few employees. Though not with the corrupt NUNS ;)

Curious what the "cargo" that berger brought on board was

I figured it was Mikumo.

It also gives greater prominence to the events depicted in DYRL as historical with the mention of the ancient PC song DYRL that was found on Altiria and never mentioned in SDFM.

I could've sworn I heard a bit of 'Love Drifts Away' when the Minmay flashback started, so I got confused when I heard DYRL playing later.

On the other hand I feel like Delta has to be pretty alienating to new viewers with the way it leans so heavily on past continuity and familiarity with the concept of The Protoculture and all that.

I've always felt like Protoculture was the fourth pillar of every Macross story, right besides music, war, and transforming robots.

I want Myung to be Lady M for the sole purpose of hearing Voices sung again. Its practically about the Windermerians singing about Wind, Wings, and Apples and struggling to reach somewhere within a single life and its english portion mentions calling out to someone through the wind.

But I know its a slim chance since Berger mentioned M has been researching the "power of song" since the end of Space War 1, but I guess pretty much everything counts as after Space War 1. Lady M is more than likely to be a new character, probably related to someone we knew.

Or it could be Kaifun for all we know, maybe he made enough money off parading Fire Bomber American around and using his family relations to Minmay to buy himself a private army we know as Xaos.

Liked the episode. I thought Berger was kind of trolling the fans with his statements of theories going around about Mikumo being a genetically engineered being, or an android. It's what we were speculating early in the show.

LOVED seeing Sharon Apple again.

Speaking of, I doubt Myung is Lady M, since someone studying song potential since the end of the First Space War would most likely have been born or living on Earth, and Myung was Eden born and raised.

Also loved Mirage and Hayate's interaction, but those shipping those two might be disappointed, since her heartfelt words percolated into his dreaming mind that his mother was yelling at him.