Looking forward to it. Most war movies so far have been pretty much from the view of the United States (not that it is bad, just that there was more than just American troops being the Allied Army). Finally we have something from the POV of the British/ Commonwealth troops and by a director who has 1/2 his roots on British soil.

Hopefully it will be educational and entertaining.

The latest theory of german military historians seems to be that Hitler's "Halt" was not a result of military planning but aimed to discipline the Oberkommando, who rebelled against a civilian leader (the Fuhrer).

Eh I dunno. It's all speculation now unless they find some lost memoirs. I personally think he had respect for the English people and was hoping they would align one day.

• 4 months later...

This movie looks amazing....and....SPITFIRES!! They look so beautiful. Most laymen, always think of th P-51...now they'd can see the beauty that is the Supermarine Spitfire. ;)

Chris

The latest theory of german military historians seems to be that Hitler's "Halt" was not a result of military planning but aimed to discipline the Oberkommando, who rebelled against a civilian leader (the Fuhrer).

FWIW, what I heard was that it was more a tactical decision to secure flanks, consolidate troops and resupply, seeing the Germans just were just given their first stiff resistance at the battle of Arras, this sounds plausible enough for me

• 4 months later...

Its a bit hard to tell from the brief moments shown, but for once  they seem to have the correct Mark of Spitfires for that time period (three exhausts stubs each side, eight machine guns, black-and-white undersides), though the Bf109s seem to be the usual Merlin-engined suspects, which is fair enough given that the correct alternatives are very, very hard to source...! (another giveaway is that they appear to lack struts under the tailplane... ).

Yeah, the only thing they could do would be to CGI those Mules to 109E-2 or maybe -3 standard. I think there's a grand total of two flightworthy 109s with Benz engines, and I don't think either one is an Emil. One Franz and one Gustav I think. 

Holy Crap that looks good!

LOVED the end "Where's the Bloody AirForce!"

then the amazing shot and sound of the 3 Spitfires in tight formation.

Agree it's good to see the early Mk's 1 or 2's

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Dobber, interesting you picked up the tight formation, because thats another historical accuracy (though it could just have been done for filming purposes); the RAF called it a "Vic" and the Luftwaffe - who from their Spanish experience learnt that such formations were too inflexible for modern air combat - called it the "Idiot rotte" ("idiots formation/group") ; it took quite a while for the RAF to realise the Luftwaffes looser, four-plane formations were superior (so much so, its still used today).

Also, the soldiers comment about "Where are the bloody air force!" is sadly accurate; the RAF were there, but often were fighting above visual contact from the ground and were limited by having to get across the Channel first which ate into their fuel supply (the same problem the Luftwaffe fighters had, in reverse, during the Battle of Britain). It often gave the mistaken impression to the troops on the ground that there were no friendly fighters at all engaged.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nick Hodges/History Buffs does an excellent job of comparing movies based on history and what really occurred. Did a great job on Braveheart & Apollo 13! 

That said, I am really looking forward to DUNKIRK  

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

My wife and I are planning a day date for this movie and was surprised how short it is for a Christopher Nolan film, 1hr 46m. Especially when you compare it to his recent films such as Inception, Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar which are about 2.5 to almost 3hrs long.

Good, all of those movies were too long.