Kong:Skull Island

Another big monster movie full of the same old cliches.

Looks good.

Not sure I'm going to enjoy the two "extreme" characters played by Samuel Jackson and John Goodman, but I'm excited.

Is this supposed to be in the same universe as Godzilla?

-b.

When is Sam Jackson not extreme in a film these days? Like it or not, it's his schtick.

It's being produced by the creators of Godzilla, so I'd assume it's in the same universe. Hopefully, they'll make me care more for the characters in this film, but I doubt it.

Really, though, I kinda empathize with folks trying to create a kaiju movie- I'm not sure what can be done to make it fresh without totally screwing it up. I think Attack on Titan succeeded in this regard- while they're not fighting traditional big monsters, the basic premise is the same, but the approach of having slayers using cables and swords to achieve the necessary verticality, while realistically improbable, makes for a new approach with some nifty action. I like the idea of using the military, but honestly, maybe a more near future sci-fi, or steam/ dieselpunk, approach would give the needed revitalization this kind of movie needs to make it interesting again. But yeah, the cliched helicopter approach has lost its impact, as well as shooting at it with useless M-16s, etc ad nauseum. Evangelion, to me, illustrates the best example of the humans vs large monster scenario done well in a sci-fi setting. Pacific Rim was ok, but there was more I didn't like than I liked in that film.

Another big monster movie full of the same old cliches.

When is Sam Jackson not extreme in a film these days? Like it or not, it's his schtick.

It's being produced by the creators of Godzilla, so I'd assume it's in the same universe. Hopefully, they'll make me care more for the characters in this film, but I doubt it.

Really, though, I kinda empathize with folks trying to create a kaiju movie- I'm not sure what can be done to make it fresh without totally screwing it up. I think Attack on Titan succeeded in this regard- while they're not fighting traditional big monsters, the basic premise is the same, but the approach of having slayers using cables and swords to achieve the necessary verticality, while realistically improbable, makes for a new approach with some nifty action. I like the idea of using the military, but honestly, maybe a more near future sci-fi, or steam/ dieselpunk, approach would give the needed revitalization this kind of movie needs to make it interesting again. But yeah, the cliched helicopter approach has lost its impact, as well as shooting at it with useless M-16s, etc ad nauseum. Evangelion, to me, illustrates the best example of the humans vs large monster scenario done well in a sci-fi setting. Pacific Rim was ok, but there was more I didn't like than I liked in that film.

In Marvel films.

Just for clarity's sake, I don't mean extreme in the way he drops MF-bombs, this is more about how the character he is playing is portrayed in the trailer. That cliched borderline insane, but thinks he's doing the right thing, type of bad guy. I hate those characters. Can't think of examples, but I'll edit this post if and when I do.

-b.

I'm game... interesting to see a more modern take... wonder if it's set during 'Nam... I'm seeing a lot of kit from that period including the Hueys, M-60s, M-16s, and helmets, if so then I'm completely sold on it!

on an aside: anyone note how frakking huge Sam's 1911 looks at 0:50? looks like it's a 7" barrel...

*on closer inspection, that's not a 1911, just a pistol that resembles it and is REALLY long... but I like it! I wonder what it really is, or if it's a straight-custom job...

I know they say history tends to repeat itself, but FFS. Did they learn nothing from King Kong Lives? Sh*tfest. That's what this is gonna be; bunch of CG 'splosions and stuff tied loosely together with sh*t plot and mailed-in acting.

The presence of Jackson and Goodman do not reassure me. They're both reaching an age where they and/or their agents are probably respectively thinking: script offers ain't gonna keep rolling in like they did before, let's not be too picky...

Then again, on the upswing: this could lead to another golden age of B-movie fodder, suitable for the consumption of fine cinematic cheese. Now if only drive-ins weren't [all but] extinct.

Then again, on the upswing: this could lead to another golden age of B-movie fodder, suitable for the consumption of fine cinematic cheese. Now if only drive-ins weren't [all but] extinct.

I'm perfectly at peace with a decent B-movie getting blockbuster level effects [thanks to CGI]... that's all Kong has ever been to me anyway... right up until that scene in "Inglorious Bastards" where the SS major is playing 20 questions... :wacko:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing it. It's an ok film, but definitely better if you can ignore realism. I just wish one day that in giant monster movies helicopters would fly above the monster. The action involving the humans was kinda cheesy, but the characters were likeable enough. I also wanted a bit more of the adventure aspect rather than the big monkey stuff, but then it would be too much like a Jurassic park movie.

Saw it and loved it, though it was a great monster movie.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Saw it today. I liked it, plenty of monster action which is all I want. Something Godzilla 2014 lacked so this film gives me hope for the next monster film.

This. Kong wasted no time getting front and center and causing some destruction. I look forward to King Kong v Godzilla.

I saw Kong Skull Island with my son on Saturday and we loved it. He said it is his favorite movie ever! And yes, definitely stay through the end of the credits. Nice little teaser for where this is going next. 

2 minutes ago, Negotiator said:

You may be a harsher critic than I am but I came in for some monster action and got it.

I realize now that I misread your post. I'm totally down for seeing this movie, and I have no doubt that it'll be a great little monster flick. I mean I enjoyed Godzilla well enough, and that one was only 20 minutes long. I meant that as long as it's better than Jurassic World, which I found more disappointing than not (it's certainly no JP1), I'll be a happy camper. I'm a cheap date when it comes to giant monsters.

Saw it just earlier. Dug it very much. That final battle brought back all my fondest memories of Pacific Rim.

Two very minor gripes, spoilery:

1) Kong is painted as a protector of the island's various wildlife, but randomly decides to eat a giant octopus? What if that was the last of its kind, too? We never see another octopus...

2) That post-credits scene was suuuuper on the nose. Also suuuuper hype, but also suuuuuper on the nose. I can't wait to see what the new designs will be.

• 1 month later...

I went and saw this with my son during the school holidays. Was ok I guess but I can't say it was great. Better than Independence Day 2!

I don't know what's happening to me in my older age as im finding it more and more difficult to enjoy movies these days.. 

I feel the same about the same about this film. It was ok, but not great. I think it was the cheasy human action scenes and maybe a bit of monster burnout. To be honest I'm not sure what it was, but at least it was far better than the most recent US Godzilla film. That was just boring and completely stupid.

• 2 months later...