ES-11D Cat's Eye

Thom

Latest update on the restocking of the ES-11D at Starship Modeller...

Email sent 15mins ago...

"Hi, have you heard anything from Starship modeller about the restocking of your ES-11D Catseye? Still on track for 2 weeks time?"

"Yes. We are casting these this week. I can’t guarantee how fast these will be stocked once shipped. Also there is a pending mail strike in Canada so that may delay things.

David Guertin"

Some progress, after some problems. I was attacked by paint peal in a bad way. The entire nose had to be taken right back to bare resin. Note to self, the next resin model is getting washed first! I'm assuming it's a mold release agent problem.

So, in the off chance it may happen again, there will be no more colors going on the wings or fuselage. Just black on the wing tips, tail and canards, and dark tan for the nose and tail cones. The nose cone needs to be neatened, as I didn't want to mask on the white side, in the hopes that the dark tan will hold better. Also helps that I think any mold release agent is mostly gone by now. Pulled off with the first paint job!

ES-11E-082_zpslvczzwvk.jpg

ES-11E-081_zps6to8piun.jpg

ES-11E-083_zpsatgowzco.jpg

After that will be some edge clean up and then clear coat and decals. Then weathering and hopefully soon to be done!

Looks great! Yes...I've been bitten by that same problem even after thorough washing on a resin kit before. Some say you should soak the parts overnight in engine cleaner. I've done that before as well. Honestly I don't think anything is 100% safe if crap resin was used. Captain Americas resin kits direct from him were never a problem for me however.

Well, seems I got that licked when another problem developed. Or was just awaiting discovery.

I progressed enough to take the masks off and found the pilot's so fogged up, it's like he's smoking a stogey in there!

It will have to come off, and I'll either get a replacement or see about making my first ever gangmold with the plug that came with the canopy.

But I'm taking a break from it. This will require yet more sanding and clean up and trimming and painting, and I'm burned on it at the moment.

She's down, but not yet out!

• 4 weeks later...

Yep. Me and Slide have been emailing the Caster and Zeroone at Starship once a week and getting updates as they made them. Slide's the one that alerted us all to them being up and BANG... all gone in one day!

Looking forward to seeing what we all come up with!

Thom, given they just cast some up, you maybe able to get a new canopy if you need one for the Cyano smoked one.

Yep. Me and Slide have been emailing the Caster and Zeroone at Starship once a week and getting updates as they made them. Slide's the one that alerted us all to them being up and BANG... all gone in one day!

Looking forward to seeing what we all come up with!

Yea, I don't know what it is about the ES-11D... but I've been in love with it since the first time I saw it, then Blappy mentioned another run, and I've been checking the SSM store every day for the past 3 weeks... lol

and now I finally have one on the way!

AARRGH!!! I never got an email from them! So much for the wishlist! I just checked last week and they had nothing. Curse my crap luck...

Luckily, this build is a sweet diversion!

It was a weird one as Lester at Starship didnt really even know it was coming until I told him. Then when they finally arrived he put them up on the site the next day and BAM they were gone. I only got my two as I had asked him to put them aside and just bill me through paypal, not to bother waiting for me to order them.

I could trade one for 3 Tomytec 1/144 Battroids if you were REALLY desperate

hey I was going to ask... will you be sticking the the trend and doing the Anime girl on the radome?

If so aside from the Macross ones out there (Minmay Guard, Minmay Special, Ranka Lee VF25, Sheryl Nome VF25) there are iDOLM@ASTER 2 Hasegawa decals.

https://www.amazon.com/iDOLM-STER-Character-Customize-Decals/dp/B008OVBXDK

I'm slicing some up so may have plenty spare after my two if you want any.

Edited by NZEOD

I was hoping when my two Catseyes showed up they would have the spare canopy in them like when The Capt made them so I could give you a new one for yours. But... they dont.

Apparently if you email Lester at Starship he will sort you out and the rest from here on in will have a second set of canopies