ES-11D Cat's Eye

Thom

Finally started this one up. this is my first time working all in resin, and so far except for some parts that needs fettling she's going together pretty good.

I intend to finish her off as an AWAC assigned to Skull Squadron, and will be changing and adding some pods and bulges to depict a craft updated after the Earth-Zentradi War and assigned to the Megaroad.

Parts layout,

ES-11D-002_zpsmklt9cte.jpg

Since I'll be doing an in-flight display, the gear doors are closed and I'll also be needing a mounting spot for the rod.

The model comes with a big cavity in the belly that is closed up with a panel. That's the best spot for a mounting rod though, so I had to fill that cavity up with resin in order to supply a place for the rod to seat into

ES-11D-003_zpstrkjmswq.jpg

With that dry, I need to put the cover panel in, but it needs some trimming. Its a little over-large at the front edge. You can also see the gear doors. They weren't perfect fits, but some dissolved putty has neatened the gaps quite a bit. The nose gear door though is going to require a bit of edging to get it to settle in flat.

ES-11D-004_zpsoqgvr06i.jpg

The wing tips have also been glued on. Again I'm using dissolved putty to neaten the join lines, as well as the wing folds.That canon to the left is not going on this model!

ES-11D-005_zpshtvml8d2.jpg

This is it so far.

ES-11D-006_zps5mq9tzxx.jpg

I'm going to try and keep momentum going on this. Hopefully, doing as straight a build as possible with help keep things moving!

Edited by Thom

Great project! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this one. I've always loved the Cat's Eye but don't really have the spare hobby funds to try to get my hands on one. I'm a little late to the game and missed out on the initial sales of the several model versions out there.

Looking great so far Thom!

Query: "Dissolved putty"... please elaborate, I wish to know more!

Query: "Dissolved putty"... please elaborate, I wish to know more!

I thought he was referring to Mr. Dissolved Putty, from the Mr. Hobby line of paints. I just got a jar recently but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I think there are similar products available from other brands.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

Yeah, Mr Dissolved Putty. Nice stuff. Shrinks though, so if you want to fill a gap, it may take a couple of applications. Wipes off good while wet, and sands good when dry.

I'm making the hole for the central stand right now. Going to go with clear a acrylic rod into a simple wooden base.

And I like the Skull Squadron motif. This ship is probably assigned to them for recon and battle management.

Also check with Starship Modeler. Last word I had from Blappy was that a new run is - or soon to be - in the works.

Edited by Thom

Thanks for all the cheers!

Did work on the fan discs amid also making the mounting and stand.

ES-11D-007_zpsd7ofv2f1.jpg

The fuselage nacelles are only taped on. They will require more color work to blend them in.

ES-11D-008_zpstrumdhwl.jpg

Also realized that with only four fans included in the kit, all going to rear for all four engines, I'll have to think of something for the fuselage inlets. Otherwise there naught in there but open resin cavity.

Time to hit the VF spares box!

Also realized that with only four fans included in the kit, all going to rear for all four engines, I'll have to think of something for the fuselage inlets. Otherwise there naught in there but open resin cavity.

Time to hit the VF spares box!

Um, aren't the fans supposed to go into the inlets?

...yep.... intake fans to the front black jet exhaust to the rear....

It has atmospheric turbofans when in planets and jets when its a vacuum, same as the Valks have their intake fans covered when in space and run on reaction jets.

Think the ones on the wings are the Turbofans and the ones on the fuselage the space rocket motors

Edited by NZEOD

IMG_7495.jpg

Notice the way the parts are laid out... especially the fans front and rear of the wing engines...

Edited by NZEOD

Yeah, they are meant to go to the exhaust, but I'm going to change that. I'll put them all forward instead and hit the parts bin for some new exhaust parts.

As for the mounting, that's all figured now. I have a bit of pipe that's going to secured with two-part epoxy into the little cavity I dug out, and I just so happen that the acrylic rod I'm using is the perfect fit inside it.

ES-11D-010_zps5pdydyoy.jpg

Moving on!

omg that'll be so handy... and much easier to procure for myself. Thanks for that heads-up NZEOD.

Think the ones on the wings are the Turbofans and the ones on the fuselage the space rocket motors

I'm afraid you have it backwards, sir

from Macross Mecha Manual

In Space War I, the U.N. Spacy made extensive use of Glamor's ES-11D Cat's Eye reconnaissance spaceplane. The ES-11D was designed for operation both in an atmosphere and in space the Cat's Eye makes use of two sets of engines for theatre–specific operation. In an atmosphere, the ES-11D makes use of two engines along either side of the dorsal-aft fuselage, while in space it uses two wing-mounted reaction engines for propulsion and maneuvering.

Edited by slide

omg that'll be so handy... and much easier to procure for myself. Thanks for that heads-up NZEOD.

I'm afraid you have it backwards, sir

from Macross Mecha Manual

No no no... thats Sgt not Sir, Not ever EVER... I work for a living

Yeah, just read something similar, Wing reaction engines, Body mounted Rolls Royces BUT... the fanes are still all mounted in the wing engines. SO fail one, score one for a match score of zero

Another thing is that there is no space allowed for the fans inside the fuselage nacelles. I had to sand them flat on one side in order for the nacelles to sit flush.

ES-11D-011_zpsgahz0imk.jpg

So with that done, it was onto finding replacement exhausts. Well, as luck would have it, I bought quite a few of these a looong while ago.

ES-11D-012_zpsjujk7rcv.jpg

ES-11D-013_zpsj5pxzpzh.jpg

They were bought on the thought of using them for kitbash detail, and so now some ten years later, they're going to be use!! :D

ES-11D-014_zpsitzicsub.jpg

A little cutting and some real messy sanding, and here we go!

ES-11D-018_zps6mgshdpj.jpg

ES-11D-015_zpswwkghs77.jpg

ES-11D-016_zpsubrab8em.jpg

I'll paint them a brass color on the outside and burnt iron inside and those should be good. I may need to shave a little from inside the nacelles to help them sit flush, but I'll leave that for tomorrow!

Carry on!!

Edited by Thom

Thanks! I have a bit more done since, mainly in the cockpit.

The exhausts are done, except for a little dirtying up. After that. I'll glue on the nacelles and start the wing mounted reaction engines.

ES-11D-020_zpsvyf3l18r.jpg

I also test-fitted a figure pulled from a VF-0 kit. I still need to take one for the front seat too. Also testing the fit of the cockpit parts, which just slip right in place.

ES-11D-022_zpsazsw2fhm.jpg

Then I spent the evening painting the parts. I may need to tone down the colors a bit, but I'm liking the look.

ES-11D-027_zpsa8ouf96t.jpg

ES-11D-028_zpsrgaattyg.jpg

And slight change of plans! I finally found my Studio Starforge figures!!

ES-11D-029_zpshri1cak8.jpg

The consoles thankfully mask pretty well the fact that neither has legs...

ES-11D-030_zpsrdcvmfwe.jpg

I was going to have a female pilot, but I'll wait til the next one to do that, because the next one will be patterned after a Macross story I have in my head.

A minor update. I redid the consoles, updating them to show newer avionics and radar systems. The pilot's is from a 1/72 F-117 and the RIO's is a piece of bisected styrene to create two big MFDs rather the original, tiny scope.

ES-11D-032_zpsmwgfdfso.jpg.

ES-11D-034_zps4jmzk8rx.jpg.

ES-11D-033_zpsthji45rl.jpg

Now I'm putting the reaction engines together and creating a 'top' for the tail. It's still in the shaping stage...

ES-11D-034_zpsvflfhokx.jpg

No, this is the Neptune Models KAA 'TSAI Lecon Prane... :ph34r:

I bought it from the Starship Modeler store. From what Blappy is saying, they should be back in stock at some point soon.

https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/2920_61/172-es-11d-cats-eye-reconnaissance-spaceplane.html

Slightly more progress. I put the reaction engines together and test mounted them as well as the wings. I did have to drill out the mounting holes in the nacelles so the wing pegs could fully seat.

ES-11D-037_zps1iavgqh4.jpg

ES-11D-036_zpsaa0mp5pu.jpg

The sensor blister atop the tail started out as the foot of a Gundam kit. I have a lot of Gundam kits in the parts bins...

ES-11D-035b_zpsnmcf9gcd.jpg

That's it for tonight. Carrying on!

Edited by Thom

Actually Thom, I believe Mr. Moscato [AKA: captain america on the MW forums] is the person responsible for mastering the SSM kit... so Yes, it's the Moscato ES-11D,

Edited by slide

I must applaud your effort here sir, as you say this is your first time doing a full resin kit...I learned a lot over the last 4 or so years of doing some. I started out with a one piece very small Zentradi Scout Ship and worked my way up slowly from there..The Cat's Eye is the one remaining resin kit I have left in my to build pile..your build is making me want to start it sometime soon!

Can you measure it for me sometime?

Wingtip to wingtip

Nose to Tail

Belly to the radome or tail, which ever is tallest.

Curious as to what sized case it would need

Yeah, a big can do!

Nose to Tail - Call it a little over at 11 inches.

Wing tip to wing tip - Call it a little over at 10 1/2 inches.

Belly to radome (which just squeaks a smidgen higher) - Call it a little more than 3 inches. With the radome not seated yet and needing some adjustments, it'll probably sit a tiny bit lower.

Hope those help!