• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched all 7 episodes of the first "batch" (more coming July 1st) with the wife. The episodes are looooonnng. The seventh being about 1:45. Certainly good value.

Thought it got off maybe a little slow/scattered. But then it found its groove. It seems like ages since I watched S3. I think I actually like this one better. It certainly has a different feel to it.

If you don't remember or know about this bit of 80's history not a bad idea to brush up on it before watching the new season. Satanic Panic

14 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I always enjoy the nods to the 80's movies they toss into Stranger Things....so far some Nightmare on Elm Street vibes and even some E.T.!  I'm probably missing others...

They gave more than a nod to Nightmare On Elm Street. Robert Englund is in it!:good:

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Friggin' Kate Bush song is stuck in my head now, lol.

I was a teen in the 80s and I have no recollection of Kate Bush, and barely any recollection of "Running Up That Hill".  I don't remember seeing it on MTV, or even hearing it on the radio, and I've always been a pop music fan.  I was a bit sheltered and very antisocial as a kid (still antisocial at 50), but I can relate to the majority of 80s references in the show, so I feel like I'm missing out on the hype.  Still, this show is a love letter to my generation, and I appreciate the Duffer Bros' commitment to cramming so much 80s goodness into the look and feel of the show.  What strikes me now looking back is how upbeat, optimistic, and positive so much of the music of the time was, and just so much of our media from that era. Of course, sooooo much of it was cornier than Redenbacher's entire product line, but considering we were living through the peak of the Cold War, it's kinda refreshing to go back and soak in that positivity a little. 

38 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I was a teen in the 80s and I have no recollection of Kate Bush, and barely any recollection of "Running Up That Hill".  I don't remember seeing it on MTV, or even hearing it on the radio, and I've always been a pop music fan.  I was a bit sheltered and very antisocial as a kid (still antisocial at 50), but I can relate to the majority of 80s references in the show, so I feel like I'm missing out on the hype.  Still, this show is a love letter to my generation, and I appreciate the Duffer Bros' commitment to cramming so much 80s goodness into the look and feel of the show.  What strikes me now looking back is how upbeat, optimistic, and positive so much of the music of the time was, and just so much of our media from that era. Of course, sooooo much of it was cornier than Redenbacher's entire product line, but considering we were living through the peak of the Cold War, it's kinda refreshing to go back and soak in that positivity a little. 

Yeah, we're about the same age so I hear ya. Don't remember Kate Bush as well but I hear her from time to time on my Sirius XM 1980s channel, lol. The important thing the Duffer Bros shows about the Stranger Things kids is that they actually went outside! Unlike my kids that just want to stay inside and play on their tablets, ugh.

EDIT: I also need to add how old Matthew Modine looks in the series. I know he is 63 but is it make-up to make him look older? He was Private Joker FFS! lol

Edited by TangledThorns

13 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Yeah, we're about the same age so I hear ya. Don't remember Kate Bush as well but I hear her from time to time on my Sirius XM 1980s channel, lol. The important thing the Duffer Bros shows about the Stranger Things kids is that they actually went outside! Unlike my kids that just want to stay inside and play on their tablets, ugh.

EDIT: I also need to add how old Matthew Modine looks in the series. I know he is 63 but is it make-up to make him look older? He was Private Joker FFS! lol

I was always more indoorsy than out, woefully so these days, but I did go out a fair bit as a kid. I had friends who owned a pizzeria downtown, which was 6 miles from my house, and about seven from my friend Dan's house. Dan and I would ride our bikes all the way into town, the last mile of which was a fairly steep downhill incline (they finally built an alternate less-steep truck bypass after several trucks lost their brakes and crashed into stuff) to go visit with our friends and get a slice or two. Can't tell you how many times we rode our bikes up and down both the steep hill and the truck bypass. I weighed about a buck-ten and had some strong legs back in those days. Very fond memories.

Just doing a general search, Mathew Modine's showing his age a bit. Not sure if the gray hair is natural or dyed, but there are pics of him w/ blonde hair, and others with grey.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:07 AM, sqidd said:

If you don't remember or know about this bit of 80's history not a bad idea to brush up on it before watching the new season. Satanic Panic

Just finished the last available episode. Would’ve finished it sooner, but fitting in episodes the length of a movie was a little tough. 
I personally remember a lot of that satanic panic stuff. I remember parental groups get angry over things like Dungeons and Dragons, and of course the infamous amazes and Monsters propaganda movie starring Tom Hanks. I also remember parental groups getting bent out of shape over rock and metal. The Eddie character wearing the Dio patch is a great touch. Parents hated Dio back then and that kid looks straight out of an Anthrax liner band picture. Parental groups really seemed mad at everything cool during the 80’s and eventually got to the cartoons that everyone loved at the time for being toy commercials and such. Oddly it made you feel like an absolute badass if you were into the stuff the parents and religious groups were always trying to cancel.

FYI: Kate Bush was a 1980s pop star from the UK. Because of my family, I grew up connected to things across the pond and am well familiar with "Running Up That Hill," so I appreciated the nod this season. The song itself was covered by other bands in the years since then like Placebo, Chromatics, and Meg Myers.

But here in the US, and just going on my imperfect memory, I'm not sure if Kate Bush or the Eurythmics were more popular at the time. ^_^ 

I do remember hearing both frequently on the radio here on the east coast.

30 minutes ago, technoblue said:

FYI: Kate Bush was a 1980s pop star from the UK. Because of my family, I grew up connected to things across the pond and am well familiar with "Running Up That Hill," so I appreciated the nod this season. The song itself was covered by other bands in the years since then like Placebo, Chromatics, and Meg Myers.

But here in the US, and just going on my imperfect memory, I'm not sure if Kate Bush or the Eurythmics were more popular at the time. ^_^ 

I do remember hearing both frequently on the radio here on the east coast.

I never liked her, I always thought she was trying too hard to be artsy and just came off as pretentious and annoying. But I’m not as into pop music. She kinda seemed like goth but not goth enough. I remember hating her videos back in the day 

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

I'm guessing that is sarcasm but Eurythmics were EVERYWHERE back then (and Annie Lennox is an incredible singer).  I don't remember ever hearing of Kate Bush or the song till Stranger Things.

One more season after this IIRC.  I'm guessing it ends with 11 either losing her powers for good to seal up the upside down or becoming the baddie in the last season.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I'm guessing that is sarcasm but Eurythmics were EVERYWHERE back then (and Annie Lennox is an incredible singer).  I don't remember ever hearing of Kate Bush or the song till Stranger Things.

One more season after this IIRC.  I'm guessing it ends with 11 either losing her powers for good to seal up the upside down or becoming the baddie in the last season.

No sarcasm. I like them both, but it could be more of a UK thing. Kate Bush’s work often tops their charts. She has been consistently outranked only by The Beatles and Elvis across the pond. 

Her debut album has the first self-written song by a female artist to top the UK singles charts for four weeks in a row. That song, you guessed it, was Running Up That Hill.

Edited by technoblue

5 hours ago, Big s said:

Just finished the last available episode. Would’ve finished it sooner, but fitting in episodes the length of a movie was a little tough. 
I personally remember a lot of that satanic panic stuff. I remember parental groups get angry over things like Dungeons and Dragons, and of course the infamous amazes and Monsters propaganda movie starring Tom Hanks. I also remember parental groups getting bent out of shape over rock and metal. The Eddie character wearing the Dio patch is a great touch. Parents hated Dio back then and that kid looks straight out of an Anthrax liner band picture. Parental groups really seemed mad at everything cool during the 80’s and eventually got to the cartoons that everyone loved at the time for being toy commercials and such. Oddly it made you feel like an absolute badass if you were into the stuff the parents and religious groups were always trying to cancel.

I remember the Satanic Panic vividly. But I had some D&D friends (I tried it, it didn't stick) and I was into all of the metal bands. Looking back now how silly was that? Satan? Really? I suppose its human nature to look for "demons" though. I'd say it's actually more prevalent now. Just in different forms.

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The important thing the Duffer Bros shows about the Stranger Things kids is that they actually went outside!

It amazes me how few kids I see outside now. When I was growing up in the 80's every kid knew the rule "Be home when the streetlights come on". And we were always late.

I live right y some of the best mountain bike trails in the country. I rarely see anyone under 30 on them. Are you kidding me!?!?! You wouldn't have been able to peel me and just about every kid I knew off of them!

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I remember the Satanic Panic vividly. But I had some D&D friends (I tried it, it didn't stick) and I was into all of the metal bands. Looking back now how silly was that? Satan? Really? I suppose its human nature to look for "demons" though. I'd say it's actually more prevalent now. Just in different forms.

Honestly, I was more into the cartoon when I was younger, but loved the artwork. A lot of it was that frazetta fantasy style that looked amazing and kinda went hand in hand with a lot of album covers at the time

Just some cover art from Dio’s career as well as an example of some of that dungeons and dragons artwork I used to love. Although the Rainbow cover is more 70’s it still has that amazing absurdly silly fantasy look to it and I loved Dio singing on that oneCB5EBE41-8760-430F-8671-75EA40A4077A.jpeg.73e8efcb1abd843d0e7c3b7e78267711.jpeg89801C2F-3FAB-4A62-A597-D6977A77C17C.jpeg.af3d185dd82fe01ff7d5d9edd673f316.jpeg4B03618F-2D50-476D-853F-B3BB6859156F.jpeg.db2eaf5f6257401869db67b35cea9f73.jpegD0D847DC-0818-449F-893B-B2574E08A6BD.webp.45b6341021d85441d4abad7adf9f71a1.webp

On 6/10/2022 at 1:44 AM, technoblue said:

No sarcasm. I like them both, but it could be more of a UK thing. Kate Bush’s work often tops their charts. She has been consistently outranked only by The Beatles and Elvis across the pond. 

Her debut album has the first self-written song by a female artist to top the UK singles charts for four weeks in a row. That song, you guessed it, was Running Up That Hill.

I think that song was "Wuthering Heights" from her 1977 debut.

In my musical world, Kate Bush was huge, her albums felt like good books.

6 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I think that song was "Wuthering Heights" from her 1977 debut.

In my musical world, Kate Bush was huge, her albums felt like good books.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking Wuthering Heights was the name of the album for some reason, but it was actually 1978s The Kick Inside. Running Up That Hill is her second most-famous single and the most famous of the 1980s. When it crossed the Atlantic into the US, it hit 30 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart so it definitely had a presence here.

And, basically, that was my point. I figure those who don't know about it weren't listening to the same music back in the day, which is okay. Everyone has a preference. The Duffer Brothers writing this into the show and using it as a song that's characteristic of the time, it made perfect sense to me. Like I said above, it was often played on the popular radio stations here in the northeast.

In that regard, the show isn't rewriting history IMO. 

Edited by technoblue

• 2 weeks later...