Yeah, I have to get to S2 of Marco Polo too.

If you like 80's sci-fi/fantasy/thriller type movies like ET meets Cloak and Dagger with some Goonies and Fright Night mixed in. It's just perfect. ;)

Chris

Just finished the series last night. I thought it was a real homage to 80's films from the title logo to the simple keyboard music and even the pacing. It was filmed very well and had a bit of an old school Stephen King meets E.T. feel. I also love the time it takes place, with the ease of buying bullets, goofy hair, giant walkie talkies with almost no real range, and people being limited to the length of phone cord, not to mention being proud of a 22inch tv and smoking wherever.

I watched all of season one today, damn great stuff. The music and soundtrack are phenomenal, it screams eighties the whole way through. So much good, I think Dobber said it well, it's like a number of great elements from different classic films rolled into one excellent, incredibly entertaining and well made season.

I love how Nancy had a huge Trapper Keeper with the words "Trapper Keeper" on it in her locker in the high school. All the 80's nods are great! Ohh! and especially El not flying...and then flying the Millenium Falcon!

Edited by derex3592

I love how Nancy had a huge Trapper Keeper with the words "Trapper Keeper" on it in her locker in the high school. All the 80's nods are great! Ohh! and especially El not flying...and then flying the Millenium Falcon!

Yep....remembered the Star Wars trapper keepers I had in grade school...

And I'm sure I had something from Radio Shack with the Realistic brand! ^_^

Liking the 80's tracks too...

Great show all around!

The nostalgia that his show gives me is scary. I was born in the 70's but grew up in the 80's. Man I miss it. I also love the theme song...I even get a kick out of how they add the dust specks like it was on film. We just have 2 episodes left, probably will finish tonight. Glad you guys like it too.

Chris

Great show! It surpasses a lot of the other shows it evokes and there's a lot of it. This show knows the meaning of payoffs and all in 8 episodes! Thanks for recommending! Me and my friends loved it. And still recommending to others.

Just finished it...wow what a great show. I was pleased with how it avoided some stereo-typical type outcomes for some characters too. Hope there will be a season 2.

Chris

I wasn't sure about a season 2 or not. Most things were settled, it works very well as a complete mini series. There are a few ideas I have in my head on how a second season could go, but I think it would be very spoiler heavy to bring up especially with this being so new and most people probably haven't finished the show yet. I'm still talking people into seeing it at work and the majority didn't know it was out yet.

Only watched the first episode so far and definitely enjoyed it. And that 80's synth wave soundtrack, love it.

Arrgghh... so little time to binge watch the rest.

All that is missing for a great viewing experience now is takeaway hamburgers packed in styrofoam ^_^

Major Spoiler:

I thought the end was going to hint on Eleven being around but it went towards the monster.... I guess it makes sense if they're going for a second season. I hope if there was a second season, it's somewhat disconnected, some sort of anthology similar only in name. Or else I'm fine with one season.

If anyone else, like me, liked the opening theme to the show here is an extended cut that blends the intro and outro themes. It's really good and is, IMO, really good mood music. It's on a loop so it lasts around 10 mins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHNlx0pPIU

Chris

Major Spoiler:

I thought the end was going to hint on Eleven being around but it went towards the monster.... I guess it makes sense if they're going for a second season. I hope if there was a second season, it's somewhat disconnected, some sort of anthology similar only in name. Or else I'm fine with one season.

There was a BIG hint near the end. After Hopper leaves the Christmas party, he leaves a couple of Eggo waffles in the box along with the other food. Elle loves Eggos!

I thought it was great. I binged an entire day away on it. Loved the call-backs to my youth, as well as the ET/Alien/Mystery/Goonies feel. Really hit all the marks there. And was I the only one that caught a Chunk vibe off of Dustin?

And yes, that final scene certainly hints that the monsters are not done with!

Really hope they come out with a Series 2!

Edited by Thom

Although I really liked the show...it steals from just about every 80's sci-fi movie that is worthwhile stealing from...but I forgive it because it did it is so right.....

Anyways, the eggs and "Alien-like" way that the host is used to incubate the creatures definitely means a Season 2 is in order....

How much 80's nostalgia can we deal with? I'd say at least 2 more seasons! ^_^

Oh...and another reason I liked the premise of the "alternate dimensions" is because I really enjoyed the more or less identical world created in Stephen King's The Mist...another 80's throwback and probably where the idea came from! :rolleyes: Heck, The Mist can basically take place in the same universe as Stranger Things....

I really hope a season 2 happens.....lots of things at the end left me asking questions that need answers.....

There was a BIG hint near the end. After Hopper leaves the Christmas party, he leaves a couple of Eggo waffles in the box along with the other food. Elle loves Eggos!

I thought it was great. I binged an entire day away on it. Loved the call-backs to my youth, as well as the ET/Alien/Mystery/Goonies feel. Really hit all the marks there. And was I the only one that caught a Chunk vibe off of Dustin?

And yes, that final scene certainly hints that the monsters are not done with!

Really hope they come out with a Series 2!

Oh yeah... that's true!

Here's a list of the shows it reminded me of... (that I can remember, but I was thinking of so many more while watching it)

It

Goonies

ET

Firestarter

Poltergeist

Altered States

Evil Dead (obvious)

Super 8 (this is the way better version of...)

Pumpkinhead

Under The Skin (newer Scarjo movie)

In most of these cases, this show was the better version of those productions.

And Wynona... don't know why I've never been into her before, but I've been into her lately now that's she's older. Except for Beetlejuice... that was just a goth thing tho... lol.

Also consider that killing the monster doesn't close the gates. The monster was just an animal living in the Upside Down and simply used the open gates. The one at the lab will still be spreading and there's nothing to stop other creatures from coming through the smaller gates the creature created.

I was thinking there was 2 monsters, the one that Nancy, Jonathan, and Steve wounded and was then tracked by the sherif and Will's mom, and the other being the one that attacked the High School and was subsequently killed by El. I'm probably wrong, but that is what my wife and I were thinking.

Ok here's my fan-theory about the Upside Down:

The upside down is not just a parallel dimension, but actually a future earth where all live has died except for these creatures. Some cataclysmic event occured, like a nuclear war and winter, and these things are one of the few living organisms left.