Gadot, Pine, et al knocked it out of the park! For a first time flying center in her own movie Gal Gadot did great, and Chris Pine once again proved how good of an actor he is. And behind it all, Patty Jenkins told a heartfelt story of growing up, both physically and emotionally.

Now yes, in some scenes you have to mentally insert some reference, like how it certainly took more than one night to reach Britain. It would have been nice to have a few clips between night and day to express that, but that is really the only quibble I have with the whole movie. For me, it's a solid 9.5 out of 10.

As for Zeus' invisible shield around the island, it was creating a fog bank on the outside in order to thwart intruders. I'm sure when it rains outside, it also rains inside. I also figure, since the dialogue promotes this, is that the fog bank is not there continuously, but only rises when a ship gets close in order to urge ships away. Especially if they see the shoals.

Edited by Thom

Chris Pine was fine as Steve Trevor. At the same time, I had no archetype or model in my head of the Steve Trevor-character to tick-the-boxes with as I would with Wonder Woman or Ares (DC ver.).

Saw the movie today and it was an enjoyable movie. However since it got this high praise from the critics makes me think that I should be grateful that I didn't watch BvS and Suicide Squad because these movies must be abysmal if Wonder Womand is miles ahead of the other ones. ^_^

Also what I didn't understand watching the movie was: 

Why did Ares support the spy mission to stop the gas attack on the allies when his whole deal is making it a success to keep WW1 going?

Also why was it more safe to fly the plane into the sky and explode it there compared to blow it up on the ground?

Edited by Scyla

Not sure about your first point, but as for the second, that was Captain Kirk's way of keeping everyone on the ground from being killed from the resulting explosion...

2 hours ago, Scyla said:

Saw the movie today and it was an enjoyable movie. However since it got this high praise from the critics makes me think that I should be grateful that I didn't watch BvS and Suicide Squad because these movies must be abysmal if Wonder Womand is miles ahead of the other ones. ^_^

Hide contents

Why did Ares support the spy mission to stop the gas attack on the allies when his whole deal is making it a success to keep WW1 going?

Also why was it more safe to fly the plane into the sky and explode it there compared to blow it up on the ground?

Ares at that point realized who Diana was.  His entire goal from then on is to corrupt her by showing the inherent evils of Man. He supported the spy mission so Diana goes to the front and learns how horrible humans are. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 7:01 PM, Scyla said:

Reveal hidden contents

Since we are long past the point of spoilers and nobody really answered the second half of your question I'll take a stab at it.

The reason why it was safer for Trevor to explode the plane in the air is the wind will dissipate the poison gas the bomber was carrying and completely reduce its effectiveness. Had it exploded on the ground there's a good chance Trevor, his crew, everyone on the base, and Wonder Woman herself might eventually succumb to the gas. Remember not only is the gas highly explosive its also extremely corrosive. Gas masks would have offered no protection.

11 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Since we are long past the point of spoilers and nobody really answered the second half of your question I'll take a stab at it.

The reason why it was safer for Trevor to explode the plane in the air is the wind will dissipate the poison gas the bomber was carrying and completely reduce its effectiveness. Had it exploded on the ground there's a good chance Trevor, his crew, everyone on the base, and Wonder Woman herself might eventually succumb to the gas. Remember not only is the gas highly explosive its also extremely corrosive. Gas masks would have offered no protection.

I figured it was just to avoid collateral... at least from what little I remember of the movie. The gas was burned up by the fire (again at least from what I recall), meaning nothing harmful to dissipate at all. (And even if it's "dissipated," there's no guarantee where it will dissipate to or in what concentration. It's rather really foolish and potentially dangerous reasoning. Spread it over a wider area and if it's denser than air and still lethal, you've just killed even more people. Even if it's not, its corrosive nature can't possibly be any measure of good even if exposed to it in small quantities.) If he'd blown it up on base, WW and co. would have died as well, so flying it up there was his way of protecting her/them... I think?

I dunno, I'm probably wrong.