On 3/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, Thom said:

Must resist. Must.. resist... Not long... til... June...

Couldn't resist. Awesome trailer. Really didn't reveal anything more, which I'm glad for, except for a little more backstory on Diana. Even more hyped!

Around the 0:28 mark, someone says, "You will train her harder than any Amazon before her ... until she is better than even you. But she must never know the truth about what she is."

Now... is that a thing? Is that a Wonder Woman character trait/canon that exists in the comics? Like she doesn't know that she's descended from the Ancient Greek Gods, or that she's really a human, or something, and part of her origin story has her discovering that truth? Because otherwise it sounds like a really dumb conspiracy plot to me.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Is that a Wonder Woman character trait/canon that exists in the comics? Like she doesn't know that she's descended from the Ancient Greek Gods, or that she's really a human, or something, and part of her origin story has her discovering that truth? Because otherwise it sounds like a really dumb conspiracy plot to me.

The New-52 canon introduced that Wonder Woman was the daughter of Zeus.

9 hours ago, azrael said:

The New-52 canon introduced that Wonder Woman was the daughter of Zeus.

I still prefer the Clay-origin over Hippolyta having a shag with Zues. It was much more touching in that her mother wanted a child so desperately, that she fashioned one from clay and begged the gods to give it life. And Diana still had super powers seeing as she was god-wrought. Anyway, hoping they stay with 'clay.'

Edited by Thom

13 hours ago, Thom said:

I still prefer the Clay-origin over Hippolyta having a shag with Zues. It was much more touching in that her mother wanted a child so desperately, that she fashioned one from clay and begged the gods to give it life. And Diana still had super powers seeing as she was god-wrought. Anyway, hoping they stay with 'clay.'

That's a really cool origin. Way more in line with the abject weirdness of the Ancient Greeks than yet again baby daddy Zeus.

I just shake my head most of the time reading things like that. :nea:

Can't they just like the whole movie instead of just looking at the color of her eye? I mean it's not just gonna be her in close-up for 2.5 hours, right?

Edited by no3Ljm

Silly thing to worry about. If all movies did was hire people who look exactly like the drawn image, there may never be any movie made of said character, or they would be played by the worst actors ever.

What people have to do is understand that it's make believe! As long as the actor/actress fits the role and makes it believably their own, then stop worrying about stupid little things.

Edited by Thom

Reminds me of some of the complaints regarding RDJ when he was cast as Tony Stark/Iron Man: too short, blah, blah, blah.  As it turned out, he owned the role so thoroughly that now it's almost impossible to picture the character brought to life by anyone else.  To be sure, Lynda Carter has been the embodiment of WW... but that was cheesy TV, and almost 40 years ago, as as many have pointed out, Gadot is so hot, who cares what her eye color is?...

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

Reminds me of some of the complaints regarding RDJ when he was cast as Tony Stark/Iron Man: too short, blah, blah, blah.  As it turned out, he owned the role so thoroughly that now it's almost impossible to picture the character brought to life by anyone else.  To be sure, Lynda Carter has been the embodiment of WW... but that was cheesy TV, and almost 40 years ago, as as many have pointed out, Gadot is so hot, who cares what her eye color is?...

True. And after seeing the first WW trailers, I totally forgot about Lynda Carter. That's how gorgeous Gal Gadot is. :wub:

On 3/12/2017 at 8:38 PM, kajnrig said:

Around the 0:28 mark, someone says, "You will train her harder than any Amazon before her ... until she is better than even you. But she must never know the truth about what she is."

Now... is that a thing? Is that a Wonder Woman character trait/canon that exists in the comics? Like she doesn't know that she's descended from the Ancient Greek Gods, or that she's really a human, or something, and part of her origin story has her discovering that truth? Because otherwise it sounds like a really dumb conspiracy plot to me.

At one point there was a rumor they were going to make her Kryptonian.

On 3/12/2017 at 7:38 PM, kajnrig said:

I guess it is a thing. Check the upcoming Ghost In The Shell. They're hiding something about the 'Major'. Or better yet, like he or she must never know the truth where she came from or something-something. It wouldn't be believable if he or she just wants to help people in need just because they want to. They need to put something there to get people's sympathy and make the character interesting. It's a basic plot formula that they keep on using it over and over.

3 minutes ago, Mommar said:

At one point there was a rumor they were going to make her Kryptonian.

Now, that's interesting. But, I always think that they can't go on that route. I always liked it when they always refer to Superman, the Last Son of Krypton. But they already took that away the moment his 'cousin' showed up. 

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I guess it is a thing. Check the upcoming Ghost In The Shell. They're hiding something about the 'Major'. Or better yet, like he or she must never know the truth where she came from or something-something. It wouldn't be believable if he or she just wants to help people in need just because they want to. They need to put something there to get people's sympathy and make the character interesting. It's a basic plot formula that they keep on using it over and over.

The whole "Made from clay"-cover story was to protect Diana from Hera, cuz Hera doesn't like it when Zeus drops his pants in front of the mortal ladies and gets them pregnant (*cough* Hercules/Heracles, Aeacus, Arcas, Atymnius, Perseus, Cres, Thebe, Corinthus, etc...*/cough*). Heck, Zeus drops his pants for the immortal ladies too. 

This isn't weird at all. The industry invented blackface and consider/considered CGI-ing ScarJo to look "more Asian." C'mon.

EDIT:

9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

It wouldn't be believable if he or she just wants to help people in need just because they want to. They need to put something there to get people's sympathy and make the character interesting. It's a basic plot formula that they keep on using it over and over.

I dunno, Steve Rogers seems pretty believable a character to me, and he's not the son of the inventor of the super soldier program or anything. His interesting story doesn't involve his parents/superiors/etc. lying to him about what he is. It doesn't turn out in Batman that Gotham City had Bruce's parents killed, and yet audiences continue to dig his movies.

It feels like "my superiors are keeping a big secret from me" is becoming the go-to writing crutch when it hampers a movie more often than not. Does Wonder Woman REALLY need that kind of story arc to keep her interesting? I don't think so.

Granted, this is all speculative, so maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but regardless, I really hope they do something more creative with it than what's being implied by the trailer.

7 hours ago, azrael said:

The whole "Made from clay"-cover story was to protect Diana from Hera, cuz Hera doesn't like it when Zeus drops his pants in front of the mortal ladies and gets them pregnant (*cough* Hercules/Heracles, Aeacus, Arcas, Atymnius, Perseus, Cres, Thebe, Corinthus, etc...*/cough*). Heck, Zeus drops his pants for the immortal ladies too. 

It's a cover story? That's a shame.

...or is this one of those Dumb Comic Book Things where they retcon it in future revisions of her origin story?

Edited by kajnrig

This is a case where I would like the cover story better than the 'truth.' The whole shtick of Zeus 'dropping trow' is so trite... But, I can see the need of a cover story to protect Hippolyta, Diana and the Amazons from Hera. Which didn't turn out too well in the New 52...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...