Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1D LowVis Skull Squadron

Mintox

Damn thats outstanding!

Cheers mate. I just wish there was a 1/48 VF-1D. I'd so buy several of them and really go nuts on detailing it but I like how this turned out.

One of the best VF-1D's period, a superb build!

Seriously Hasegawa, where's that 1/48 scale VF-1D kit??? Our wallets are ready!!

I know right? Its the best of the Valks apart from any Valk with the booster packs on. Imagine a D with the booster packs and back pack combo? That would rock so much.

I love to watch and do dirty Valkyries, and I love your Valk Mintox.

Thanks Cesar. I'm really happy how this turned out. I'm trying to source another to do in trainer colours but 1/72 it annoys me.

I know right? Its the best of the Valks apart from any Valk with the booster packs on. Imagine a D with the booster packs and back pack combo? That would rock so much.

I'd be broke as a joke for a bit, but I would easily get 8 or 9 VF-1D kits in 1/48.... If Hasegawa makes them! B))

Beautiful work! One of my favorite Valkyrie models to date! I didn't care much for the D when I first got interested in Macross as a kid because of its trainer role and limited appearance in SDFM. Nowadays, I appreciate the role of this variant in the VF-1 series, and I also really like the Mater File and fan work variations and paint schemes that have shown up over the years. I really like the idea of VF-1Ds being repurposed for combat roles in a "all hands on deck" manner after the war kicked off. I would definitely buy a Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1D - probably several of them!

On a side note, I'm not too familiar with Japanese sci-fi modeling trends, but I would guess that Japanese modelers prefer 1/72 because the models take up less space. That would seem to be reflected in the greater variety of 1/72 models. Is that an accurate perception?

Beautiful work! One of my favorite Valkyrie models to date! I didn't care much for the D when I first got interested in Macross as a kid because of its trainer role and limited appearance in SDFM. Nowadays, I appreciate the role of this variant in the VF-1 series, and I also really like the Mater File and fan work variations and paint schemes that have shown up over the years. I really like the idea of VF-1Ds being repurposed for combat roles in a "all hands on deck" manner after the war kicked off. I would definitely buy a Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1D - probably several of them!

On a side note, I'm not too familiar with Japanese sci-fi modeling trends, but I would guess that Japanese modelers prefer 1/72 because the models take up less space. That would seem to be reflected in the greater variety of 1/72 models. Is that an accurate perception?

Yeah I agree but that doesn't stack up to scrutiny with the 1/35 and 1/48 kits Hasegawa and Tamiya make so I dont believe thats the reason in itself but rather its simply cheaper for Hasegawa to make in 1/72 - smaller box, smaller decal sheet etc etc. Still they have 95% of the D already kitted, they just have to do new fuselage halves, new canopy and new upper body and interior stuff and it all could be on one sprue and dump it in the same box as the 1J and bam people would buy them. I also believe the D isnt a trainer. Look at the cockpit layout - its pure two seater like the F14 Tomcat where the back seater is sitting at the same height as the pilot and cant see crap in front as opposed to the VT and VE where the back-seater actually is sitting higher up and therefore can see forward and pilot the plane if they had too.

Looks outstanding! Always a treat to watch you build (and finish) your projects. Love the weathering and attention to detail on this one.

Thanks dude.

I love the very balanced weathering and paint choices. Did you happen to snap any picture with closed canopy?

No unfortunately. With the hinge part on the back of the canopy it wouldnt sit flush enough to make it look neat.

Edited by Mintox

I also believe the D isnt a trainer. Look at the cockpit layout - its pure two seater like the F14 Tomcat where the back seater is sitting at the same height as the pilot and cant see crap in front as opposed to the VT and VE where the back-seater actually is sitting higher up and therefore can see forward and pilot the plane if they had too.

Well... the famous VT-102 cockpit does say "STUD SEAT" for "student" and "INST" for instructor on the side of the canopy. There are also real world examples of trainers that have both seats in line. Maybe not the best design, but I certainly think the SDFM creators intended for it to be a trainer. Obviously they thought a little more about it with the VT-1, but it makes sense that they might have wanted to imply a little more commonality of parts in the original VF-1 series.

One thing that I found interesting, in a funny anime art / magic sort of way, is that if you watch SDFM closely, there doesn't appear to be a display screen for the rear seat in the D cockpit. It looks like the rear seat is just immediately behind the front one. This obviously differs from the line art, but I couldn't find any shots in SDFM that showed a rear display or any kind of equipment in back of the front seat.