Mission 14: Embracing Adrift  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (The warm embrace of wanderlust)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Please tell me someone gets sucked out of an airlock and never comes back)

Watching the scene where Freyja was reacting to the audio of Hayate and Mirage gave me flashbacks to just about every episode of Three's Company. LOL! I was expecting to see a cutaway of Mr. Furley reacting with his eyes all bugged out.

mr-furley-o.gif

Ok... Weasel Guy and the NUNS cronies... Yes, they knew of the dangers of those ruins and 7 years prior, tried to do something about it (and failed)

H & M getting to work in their skivvies... was it fan service? Hell yeah. Maybe it was hot around the cable connection but the rest of the Island was dropping temps...?

I like how Ketchup Boy realizes that he's only a bitch-king to the leadership behind the throne...

I just find it odd that Freya was in close proximity to both explosions when they occurred. I think it's possible she's some sort of Manchrian Candidate brainwashed by the Windermereans to commit acts of sabotage and then forget them.

I just find it odd that Freya was in close proximity to both explosions when they occurred. I think it's possible she's some sort of Manchrian Candidate brainwashed by the Windermereans to commit acts of sabotage and then forget them.

She's not, though. The first explosion is at the surface level - while Freyja is with Hayate and Mirage are in the bowels of the ship, and the cause of that explosion is known (it's a power surge). The second explosion is after Freyja has just gotten from where she was to the surface level, and it's at the top of the dome - where Freyja never went. Note that it takes Hayate and Mirage a couple of minutes to get from where they were with Freyja to the site of the explosion (the cable that they have to fix), and that's in 0-g where they can basically jump from the deck they were on to the surface.

I'm wondering if Isamu is Hayate's father..........in the military, traveled around a lot.

Of course as Hayate mentions his father is dead, that would mean Isamu passed away sometime after the events of Frontier movies.

Not Sure about the Isamu in Macross 30, wasn't that a time travelling younger Isamu from the past? I forget....haha

does this means: blue sea is ragna, desert sand is al shahal, snow is winderemere

attachicon.gif2016_07_08_14.03.44.jpg

Maybe, maybe not.

The way he describes he moves a lot reminds me how Isamu moves from one post to another. However that is because he was a pain in his CO's ass.

I'm guessing Hayate's dad was Special Forces like Dancing Skull or a VF-X squadron.

if we're entertaining the theory that Hayate's daddy is Isamu, there're perfectly legit reasons why he's an Immelman & not a Dyson.

a - maybe his parents were never married & he grew up in a single-parent household with his mom, thus having the mom's family name; at the same time, dad's obviously absent but kept in touch from time to time. Isamu being the playa, this isn't an unthinkable possibility... sowing wild oats & all :)

b - maybe his parents divorced & his mom remarried & Hayate adopted his stepdad's family name

i've a feeling this mystery, like Lady M's identity, is gonna crush under the weight of my unreasonable expectation.

I'm confused...

Why did Hayate and Mirage have to strip down before fixing the power cable?

Also, just how many sexual references did anyone notice in this episode?

It's been way more than 24 hours since the subs came out, we can drop the spoilers.

They were using their clothes as reaction mass, throwing them one way so they'd end up going the other way. The thing is though, either they were some *heavy* clothes, or they had to throw them *really* hard to get any kind of speed. If you weigh sixty kilograms, and you're throwing a piece of clothing weighing 1 kg, you'll need to impart about 60 m/s velocity on the clothing to gain 1 m/s yourself. (though the clothes can lose a lot of velocity instantly to air resistance just fine, so it doesn't have to look like they're going 60 m/s.)

Why is everyone missing the "cooling unit failure" line? It was like "1-3, and 8-10". I think one area had a heating failure, but another had a cooling failure. Mirage and Hayate seemed to be in an energy-intensive area, so it may be one of the naturally hotter parts of the ship.

Why is everyone missing the "cooling unit failure" line? It was like "1-3, and 8-10". I think one area had a heating failure, but another had a cooling failure. Mirage and Hayate seemed to be in an energy-intensive area, so it may be one of the naturally hotter parts of the ship.

Personally, I'm totally OK with everything except their proximity to an open ultra-high-voltage circuit... if that cable is carrying such high voltages that it can arc a distance of at least a dozen meters, it should've messed them up pretty bad.

But that's a tiny realism nitpick in what I felt was otherwise an excellent episode. :)

if we're entertaining the theory that Hayate's daddy is Isamu, there're perfectly legit reasons why he's an Immelman & not a Dyson.

a - maybe his parents were never married & he grew up in a single-parent household with his mom, thus having the mom's family name; at the same time, dad's obviously absent but kept in touch from time to time. Isamu being the playa, this isn't an unthinkable possibility... sowing wild oats & all :)

b - maybe his parents divorced & his mom remarried & Hayate adopted his stepdad's family name

i've a feeling this mystery, like Lady M's identity, is gonna crush under the weight of my unreasonable expectation.

c - taking the mother's last name may have become common practice. Note Sheryl Nome, who has the same last name as her grandmother Dr. Mao Nome. And also, in this very same series, Mirage Jenius, who is the daughter of (as I understood) Miaramia Jenius.

In fact the only paternal last names I can think off are unconfirmed. (Elmo Kridanik from Britai Kridanik and Makina Nakajima from Raizou Nakajima).

Personally, I'm totally OK with everything except their proximity to an open ultra-high-voltage circuit... if that cable is carrying such high voltages that it can arc a distance of at least a dozen meters, it should've messed them up pretty bad.

From what, localized heating of the air? The arc will take the path of least resistance, which in this case is the opposite terminal(s). As long as they don't get between them, they should be safe.

Decent low action ep. I feel this ep had good moments to help fill out Chuck's character slightly. He's hasn't got much development other than we know he's been to war and doesn't like killing people.
So the rear docking was due to the normal method being damaged. Still makes me wonder if the Elysion was the Island's original macross ship just because the scale and possible front docking orientation looks to be off in a traditional sense.
We don't get any clarity on what damaged the Island's fold drives... I guess we'll chock it up to battle damage but it really seems like those should have been much better maintained.
NUNS... doesn't seem as sinister to me. Just more of they recognized that the Windemere song might have been a huge threat, tried to take steps to deal with it 7 years ago and failed. Their calmness comes from having a fold jamming technology that would help them in the future.
Fixing plug scenes were fine I actually like how Hayate was extremely job focused.
The performance... the song was VERY lacking to me. Maybe it was the overuse of English, but it felt hollow mostly. That being said, I think Kaname had the best part in the performance.
But the big goose in the room, and I'm super surprised no one has pointed this out, is that Lady M got a contract FROM A MINING COMPANY to free the whole cluster.
W.T.F.
Unless they're mining fold quartz there no way a mining company could affordably commission a mercenary group to free dozens of planets, which the mining company might not have any presence on I might add. Hell I know this is just for story fluff but it sets it's a very dangerous precedence of a private corp "freeing" planets from local authorities. The commission would have made a HELL of a lot more sense coming from NUNS.
We joke the NUNS officers are in conspiracy but a CEO of a PMC conveniently finding a sponsor to take over planets is HELLA fishy.

Hell this could set up a conflict between NUNS operations and the interests of the mining company!

Edited by squaresphere

c - taking the mother's last name may have become common practice. Note Sheryl Nome, who has the same last name as her grandmother Dr. Mao Nome. And also, in this very same series, Mirage Jenius, who is the daughter of (as I understood) Miaramia Jenius.

In fact the only paternal last names I can think off are unconfirmed. (Elmo Kridanik from Britai Kridanik and Makina Nakajima from Raizou Nakajima).

Mirage is Miranda Jenius' daughter, as per Kawamori. Your point still stands, just fact checking, heh.

Actually, Mirage is the daughter Miranda Jenius.

Decent low action ep. I feel this ep had good moments to help fill out Chuck's character slightly. He's hasn't got much development other than we know he's been to war and doesn't like killing people.

So the rear docking was due to the normal method being damaged. Still makes me wonder if the Elysion was the Island's original macross ship just because the scale and possible front docking orientation looks to be off in a traditional sense.

We don't get any clarity on what damaged the Island's fold drives... I guess we'll chock it up to battle damage but it really seems like those should have been much better maintained.

NUNS... doesn't seem as sinister to me. Just more of they recognized that the Windemere song might have been a huge threat, tried to take steps to deal with it 7 years ago and failed. Their calmness comes from having a fold jamming technology that would help them in the future.

Fixing plug scenes were fine I actually like how Hayate was extremely job focused.

The performance... the song was VERY lacking to me. Maybe it was the overuse of English, but it felt hollow mostly. That being said, I think Kaname had the best part in the performance.

But the big goose in the room, and I'm super surprised no one has pointed this out, is that Lady M got a contract FROM A MINING COMPANY to free the whole cluster.

W.T.F.

Unless they're mining fold quartz there no way a mining company could affordably commission a mercenary group to free dozens of planets, which the mining company might not have any presence on I might add. Hell I know this is just for story fluff but it sets it's a very dangerous precedence of a private corp "freeing" planets from local authorities. The commission would have made a HELL of a lot more sense coming from NUNS.

We joke the NUNS officers are in conspiracy but a CEO of a PMC conveniently finding a sponsor to take over planets is HELLA fishy.

Hell this could set up a conflict between NUNS operations and the interests of the mining company!

Mining companies plural. So multiple Galaxy spanning Corps. They can afford it. But yeah that set my shadowrun senses tingling to..... Hears hopeing.

Edited by Ghostbear0

Yup, mixed up Mirage's mother, but she still has her mother's last name :)

It would be a nice twist to the triangle if Hayate and Mirage actually have the same father, making them half-siblings. Unlikely but theoretically possible. (And this would be a literally classical resolution to a triangle, a similar point is used in "The Marriage of Figaro" - where one of the women turns out to be the protagonist's

mother

).

Shadowrun senses? Then for the love of Ghu let's pray the frontman of the mining concerns was named Mr. Johnson.

Sheryl hired SMS to rescue the Galaxy fleet with her credit card.

And like it's been stated, we don't know how big said mining companies are, or what stakes they have in the conflict, but the idea of hiring a PMC to do stuff like that should be nothing new here. After all, Chaos was guarding Ragna while using the planet as their base of operations to conduct military operations against Windermere.

NUNS seems to be a fading entity on the edges of development (or colonization), which is a trend that I think was started in Frontier (though some of the more knowledgeable fans feel free to expand on this, as I'm sure there's a lot more to it). It's no surprise there are no shortage of PMCs stepping up to fill the void.

Sheryl hired SMS to rescue the Galaxy fleet with her credit card.

That's a good point with Sheryl but the scale is different. We're talking a multiple front war and I'll be honest, I follow the TV version as the closer truth than the movies. If SMS had THAT many macross quarters they could easily take out defenders on earth that were station there during M+ UNLESS earth/NUNS is packing even MORE power than that.

SMS did not even exist during M+, though it did hire Isamu later apparently. And I don't see why SMS would need to attack the Earth in Frontier times. The Earth becomes a part of the story only when the controlled Vajra appear over it in the series, but there is no battle.

Negative review. Wanted to give it a neutral but there was just too many things that made me groan watching it.

Quality of animation was lacking.

Mercats understand and respond to Freyja.

Freyja listening to Hayate and Mirage over the radio.

Ship connects to the island dog style.

They have to shove in a musical performance. Earlier in the episode they were showing how the 2 tech experts in the band were actually being very useful in helping with the technical problems that were going on. Instead they take a break to sing with the others to calm people's spirits? Maybe it would have been better to keep them involved in helping to actually repair things.

As for Hayate. Yes in that scene he and Mirage were pressed up against each other and both were half naked. He was also focus on trying to fix that thing. When it is a life and death situation men are able to do their jobs without getting distracted. For all the other scenes where he shows no interest in Freyja or Mirage I can't explain. Maybe he is asexual or something. Hayate, Alto and Basara seemed to have been motivated by a higher calling.

While Delta airs, it would be hilarious if changed your avatar to an angry picture of Bogue, with angry subs included.

That's a good point with Sheryl but the scale is different. We're talking a multiple front war and I'll be honest, I follow the TV version as the closer truth than the movies. If SMS had THAT many macross quarters they could easily take out defenders on earth that were station there during M+ UNLESS earth/NUNS is packing even MORE power than that.

I know the scale is different, but that's sort of my point. Sheryl hired SMS personnel, Valkyries and the Macross Quarter for an operation to rescue Macross Galaxy. That's only one operation, but Sheryl is only one person as well. Yes, she's a mega-diva that probably has all the money, but I'm guessing (and this is a guess) that a mining conglomerate has more money than one person, even the most popular singer in a galaxy obsessed with singers.

So, if one rich person could hire SMS to do one operation, then its conceivable that a big corporation could hire a force large enough to pose a threat to Windermere's occupation force.

And who's to say PMCs haven't gotten cheaper in the eight years since Frontier? Apparently, there's lots of competition, and competition drives down prices. Also, it's possible Chaos isn't the best of the best... but at least they aren't getting their pilots from high schools...........

Hmm. Now I'm wondering if 'drifter' is a step up or step down from 'high school student'.