Mission 14: Embracing Adrift  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (The warm embrace of wanderlust)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Please tell me someone gets sucked out of an airlock and never comes back)

Spoiler tags as I'm one of the believers in the "24-hour after subs are released" philosophy

Plot-wise there wasn't much to this episode. It could almost be seen as filler. That said, I enjoyed it very much. This kind of filler makes the whole thing more immersive in my opinion, and I also love seeing Valkyries doing utility work. Though I wonder how they control them precisely enough to do that kind of work... well, that's a question that's been around as long as the real robot genre has. I'm glad Full Metal Panic! exits and was so well thought out (the novels more than the anime, but it did show in the anime without being thoroughly explained).

So, they got themselves a new sponsor which has tasked Chaos with retaking the cluster. This is good, but I hope it means better support. Guarding a planet and taking a planet are two very different things (I think).

The NUNS is being as shady as they were in Frontier. There is something going on behind the scenes, and that one officer states they failed seven years prior. I guess the Windermere thing was orchestrated by NUNS, but for what purpose is unknown. I don't think they wanted to prevent Windermere from seceding, because what point would there be? If that's there only motivation, then that would be pretty disappointing. Still, Weasel Face seems pretty happy with how things are playing out. I still think NUNS and Windermere are working together in some capacity. This might be backed up by Roid's comment to Heintz at the end of the episode. Gramia obviously had some ulterior motives for Windermere's war, but as for what we aren't yet aware.

Is anyone else refreshed by Hayate's ease of attitude when it comes to women? I'm pretty sick of the typical anime protagonist guys being super flustered anytime a woman touches them or they get a glance at some cleavage. One of the things I've really liked about Macross is that the male protagonists usually break at least one strongly held trope of mecha anime. With Frontier, it was Alto's desire to pilot the VF-25. He wasn't like a typical reluctant hero - he got a taste of the -25 and was like "how do I get more of that?" And he got punched in the face for it, but that was great for other reasons. Hayate is a little more reluctant, but he's not useless with women as Alto was. He's cool as a cucumber... he might be asexual, or maybe just experienced. Either way, I like Hayate.

As for that horndog Elysion...

So, that's called "emergency docking" huh? I'll have to remember that.

Edited by Product9

It was interesting to hear

Hayate saying more about his childhood and parentage. At some point his father will become relevant in the plot.

I wonder what Gramia's Will will be?

Chaos btter get some more units if they plan to retake the cluster. They should give SMS a call. Let the pro's handle it.

Negative review. Wanted to give it a neutral but there was just too many things that made me groan watching it.

Quality of animation was lacking.

Mercats understand and respond to Freyja.

Freyja listening to Hayate and Mirage over the radio.

Ship connects to the island dog style.

They have to shove in a musical performance. Earlier in the episode they were showing how the 2 tech experts in the band were actually being very useful in helping with the technical problems that were going on. Instead they take a break to sing with the others to calm people's spirits? Maybe it would have been better to keep them involved in helping to actually repair things.

As for Hayate. Yes in that scene he and Mirage were pressed up against each other and both were half naked. He was also focus on trying to fix that thing. When it is a life and death situation men are able to do their jobs without getting distracted. For all the other scenes where he shows no interest in Freyja or Mirage I can't explain. Maybe he is asexual or something. Hayate, Alto and Basara seemed to have been motivated by a higher calling.

As for Hayate. Yes in that scene he and Mirage were pressed up against each other and both were half naked. He was also focus on trying to fix that thing. When it is a life and death situation men are able to do their jobs without getting distracted.

And women aren't? If that's the implication of your comment, that's a pretty sexist thing to say

pretty bland episode overall. With the subs, if they are accurate, it just says that the NUNS guys are trying to figure out a solution to the problem, people call them "shady" based on their looks. I wonder if they would have called Grace that on episode 1 or 2 of Frontier. I feel like they are trying to force a conspiracy down our throats as a way of advancing a story plot.

Not every Macross series should be about conspiracies, the original SDF:M did not have any such a thing, and was quite enjoyable. As for Hayate, I think he is just a cool customer... in his mind he is thinking, "ha ha, I got that frosty Mirage to press her goods against me... step 1 complete."

Another thing that I don't quite like in terms of character development, they went through the whole Messer thing with Kaname coming out at the end of ep 11 saying how she was going to try to be competitive with Mikumo... can't remember her comments exactly, and now here she is, relegated to the status of backup singer once more. Obviously if anyone here was going to be a main second tier character, it'll be Mikumo. The triangle has the tier one status all locked up. My point though is either do something with Kaname or don't bother at all.

Also, what happen to Hayate's allergy to cats?

And I'm kind of getting sick of Arad, does he even do anything? I like the part about how they weren't getting paid for their jobs... ha, of course not, when you suck at your job, you are fired, you shouldn't be paid. But at the end, in comes Lady M ex machina, and all is well again. NEW SUCKERS found: MINERS.

Please, don't tell me about your problems with money, if I want to hear about that, that comes with real life, this is Macross, blow crap up and sing, and have real consequences, not VF-171 redshirts and random lil' Drakkens going kaboom, more character death, there are at last count still too many damned aerial knights who I couldn't care less about, kill the evil twins, and the two old geezers. Give the strategist a greater role, and wake the white boy out of his coma and slap an ugly mask on him.

Edited by kalvasflam

I skipped much of the last few pages... But WAS there a reason Hayahaya and Miramira ditched their clothes that didn't make it to the subs? Was it hot? Neither my wife nor myself caught any inkling that they needed to strip down other than to enable the awkwardness that followed.

And Hayate is just the latest in a line of Macross protagonists who are clueless about some, if not all members of the opposite sex. Pretty much every male lead of each series had no idea of the true feelings for them coming from another point of the triangle; even if they don't care for them all that much (Basara), the female in question didn't know herself (Isamu), or he simply don't know how to handle the affection (Shin). It pretty much comes with the territory of the Macross love triangle.

In Hayate's case I feel he's less clueless than some others (specifically Alto) but in his case it's more that he's not interested in that relationship. It doesn't make him asexual, it's just that the situation and these specific girls don't get his toes tapping other than what they mean to his love of flight and expression. It could still evolve into something, but it's not what he has been looking for right now.

Then again, he could have a drawer full of Sheryl lookalike gravure idol magazines in his quarters, and that's where he focuses his free time. Speaking of, I guess he and the rest of Chaos have occupied otherwise temporary quarters on Elysion? They must sleep somewhere while in theatre, but their usual places on Ragna are not available to them.

As for the rest of the episode, it's fluffy filler while taking a breather from the action last week, and setting stuff up for the next phases. I liked that they used a logical plot device (the colony ship being unspaceworthy after decades on the beach) to get our characters together, with the expected impromptu concert being more a consequence of their situation rather than the object of it. We do get a bit of worldbuilding in that case, with a hint of UNS/NUNS colonization policy to maintain a ship in case of exodus. It only makes sense, even though it seems the Ragnans weren't keeping up on checking her for leaks.

And judging by its scale, I don't think it means that Elysion is also 30+ years old. I don't think the forward docking collar where you'd traditionally find a warship sticking out is the right shape (and dialogue suggested it was damaged anyway), looking more like something a Guantanamo would plug into. Still, it is most certainly an earlier model than City 7 or Frontier's Island 1, and even *if* it was part of the Macross 1 emigration fleet, it wasn't City 1 at all.

Mark

Macross "Lunch Break" episode. Nothing to talk about in this episode really. Soooo...Let's just pick out the animation errors that I caught.

-Mirage's bag (the one right next to her) disappears when the uminekos were playing. Hayate's as well in one angle change.

-Mirage switches her sitting positions. switches from 2nd step. 3rd step, then 4th.

-Uminekos suddenly appear in Frejya's arms during gravity loss. Then disappear soon as she approaches to sing.

-Hayate's shorts are different after landing on the pipe. In fact it changes often.

-When the gravity came back, Hayate grabbed the section right below the handle. Then continuing scene showed him grabbing the section lower.

Anyone else thought it was hilarious when the song cut out during the last explosion.....Mikumo was like: Nothing to see here folks, cue the music!!!

Edited by daflip702

I skipped much of the last few pages... But WAS there a reason Hayahaya and Miramira ditched their clothes that didn't make it to the subs? Was it hot? Neither my wife nor myself caught any inkling that they needed to strip down other than to enable the awkwardness that followed.

They used the mass of their clothing to accelerate them by pushing off in the opposite direction of where they wanted to go. Newton's 3rd law.

Probably the most clever excuse for fanservice I've ever seen.

They used the mass of their clothing to accelerate them by pushing off in the opposite direction of where they wanted to go. Newton's 3rd law.

Probably the most clever excuse for fanservice I've ever seen.

Oho, we totally missed that. Physics enable awkward boobie pressing. SCIENCE, bee-yatch.

Mark

Edited by tout-puissant

Just saw the subs.

Hmm... Not only is the city ship's energy level needs to be charged up, the fan service level also needs to be charged up in this episode!

You've read his comment totally wrong.

If I have then I apologize, but I read it over and over before I made my reply.

The thing is...

During the scene, Mirage was distracted by their close proximity. Hayate had to tell her to move closer and grab him tighter multiple times before she finally did. In light of that, Roy's comment does sound pretty sexist because (it reads like) he's implying that Hayate can focus on the task at hand because he's male, which implies Mirage cannot because she isn't.

But please, correct me if I am mistaken.

Edited by Product9

This got a positive vote from me, especially for the fact that, likely, I will not have the same problem as I had with Frontier showing this to kids.

The undressing and boobie-pressing probably means this is the "awkward fan service" episode, like the pansy-stealing in Frontier. But panty-stealing was very contrived and not child-safe. This one is all scientifically explained - they undress to move with Newton's 3rd Law, she holds him so they can get stability and push the valve. Quite child-safe in my opinion - I can handle the "why does she blush" part.

The following animation appeared on reddit. Perhaps NSFW if you're into giant robots.

Moving right along...

Episode itself was a mixed bag for me. I liked seeing more character interaction. But the ending here was an abrupt jolt from the seriousness of the ending to last episode. Not that the city's dire power situation isn't serious in its own way, but it got resolved in the most fanservicey fashion that they could arrange. I DID ENJOY IT, but they still are on the run in the middle of the cluster and we have no idea what they're going to do next, so realistically I should be more concerned about the actual wider goings on.

Edited by This Confuses Gamlin

Product9

The discussion was about Hayate's state of mind. Not Mirage's. There was no need to include the phrase "men and women" because I was referring to a specific character male character's that others were talking about.

Product9

The discussion was about Hayate's state of mind. Not Mirage's. There was no need to include the phrase "men and women" because I was referring to a specific character male character's that others were talking about.

I apologize then.

But you could see how I misconstrued that one.

Heck, if you want you can nuke the post if that makes things right. Or leave it for comic relief, your call.

Regarding the stallion-like behavior of Elysion this week...

I know it was meant to be some pretty obvious euphamistic imagery, but OTOH I've always gotten the impression that the Japanese in general were okay with this sort of stuff, taking nudity and sexuality differently than we Westerners would. Where something like this would *never* be in any sort of drama of any kind in North America, i don't see it as out of place.

After all, in a Sentai show a year or two ago in Japan, we had a giant robot made out of trains pound the daylights out of a monster. By thrusting. Repeatedly. With this.

19hdedg21z2yejpg.jpg

So I think the intended audience is supposed to get a wink-wink "ah-ha" moment and then move on.

Mark

Edited by tout-puissant

I know it was meant to be some pretty obvious euphamistic imagery, but OTOH I've always gotten the impression that the Japanese in general were okay with this sort of stuff, taking nudity and sexuality differently than we Westerners would. Where something like this would *never* be in any sort of drama of any kind in North America, i don't see it as out of place.

After all, in a Sentai show a year or two ago in Japan, we had a giant robot made out of trains pound the daylights out of a monster. By thrusting. Repeatedly. With this.

19hdedg21z2yejpg.jpg

So I think the intended audience is supposed to get a wink-wink "ah-ha" moment and then move on.

Mark

LOL!! If that's not intentional I don't know what is. :lol:

Mark

Action vs. Reaction ==> 3rd Law of Newton

19hdedg21z2yejpg.jpg

Mark

You know... this happened 30 years ago on American TV.

011116seibertron.jpg

Utilizing Newton's third law to move in one direction by throwing stuff in opposite direction is perfectly viable... in a vacuum. But they were likely within close to 1 atmosphere of air preassure. With drag taking in consideration, I really don't think this would be so practical. It would be easier to just "swim" to their destination by paddling air behind them with their arms or legs, like real astronauts do in e.g. the ISS when they can't push themselves from a fixed surface. So no, this scene wasn't very clever.

Utilizing Newton's third law to move in one direction by throwing stuff in opposite direction is perfectly viable... in a vacuum. But they were likely within close to 1 atmosphere of air preassure. With drag taking in consideration, I really don't think this would be so practical. It would be easier to just "swim" to their destination by paddling air behind them with their arms or legs, like real astronauts do in e.g. the ISS when they can't push themselves from a fixed surface. So no, this scene wasn't very clever.

Maybe that's why they had to get rid of multiple articles of clothing.

I mean beside the obvious reason

Edited by Product9

All of these explosions aboard the island-are they just from the poorly maintained condition of the vessel after years of abandonment or was there a saboteur aboard?

Maybe the ship wasn't poorly maintained so much as just old... as well as having suffered damage from the freaking nuke that went off next door.

I don't think she was ever meant to fly again, though

Edited by Product9

Wow. Just, wow. Everyone, coming together... in more ways than one, I would say! When you are young, it can often feel like you are floating adrift in space, like the Macross, but we are floating together -- we just have to hold onto each other. My father would often tell me if you can't count on the people around you to help, you won't be prepared when the big storm comes. I think our heroes did a good job of delegating and trusting each other, even though things were scary.

The visual metaphors were very smart. The two robots docking really made me think about how we all need to connect a little more.