Mission 14: Embracing Adrift  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (The warm embrace of wanderlust)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Please tell me someone gets sucked out of an airlock and never comes back)

All righty! Sitting down to watch the new one now... got AC back, so we can do this from the glorious comfort of our home theater instead of cramming into a conference suite.

I know we were supposed to think this opening scene is mysterious and all, but I'm much more interested in whatever's behind Mikumo there than the shrine she's singing at... looks like a jumbo-sized version of the L-Gaim or maybe the Cloudschatze. I guess Mikumo's either a Protoculture or someone who inherited the genetic memories of one. There's no real impact to this revelation, since "mysterious" was Mikumo's only actual character trait besides "complete bitch".

Lazy cut-and-paste OP... I really hope this is gone by next episode, the way the Interstellar Flight one for Ranka was in Frontier. When I saw someone post it on Facebook I was initially convinced that it was someone's badly-edited AMV.

I guess "fold reactor" is the new term for a large-scale thermonuclear reaction heat pile system. Fair enough, since it is using fold theory to optimize a fusion reaction.

The Island ship's reactors aren't working terribly well... so the question I have to ask is: Why? This was a permanent residence for thousands of people and probably the main power station for the entirety of Barette City. Why were its reactors allowed to fall into such grievous disrepair? Also, why the hell aren't they making an effort to save non-essential power if these reactors are compromised? Why run a city full of holographic billboards or leave the artificial sky on when you've barely got enough power to keep the gravity on?

The Ragnans are taking their exile surprisingly well. At least as well, if not better than, the citizens of the original SDF-1 Macross did... considering their only real concern seems to be the welfare of their families. Kudos to them for putting the common good ahead of their frustrations. I feel a hell of a lot more sympathy for Chuck, having to put on a brave face for his younger siblings when his sister either died messily or is trapped on an occupied world, than I ever will for Messer's death.

Big shocker that the Aerial Knights are handing out ruin water and Windermere apples to the local populace. You'd have to think that wouldn't work so well on Ragna, where the locals can get the food they need from the sea and ought to have been told by Kaos and the New UN Government that Windermere apples and ruin water were the delivery system for Var syndrome.

Major Valan's talking countermeasures for the Starwind Sector's mind control with the top brass. We're clearly supposed to take this in a sinister fashion, but for the most part it just looks like the New UN Spacy are actually doing their bloody jobs and planning a counterattack to take back Ragna and the other captured planets. It sounds like they've used Valan's data to refine a fold jamming system to protect themselves from the "fold sound field" Windermere created to span the cluster. It's sounding increasingly like the "conspiracy" here is that the New UN Spacy knew about Windermere's plans for mind control, failed to counter them during Windermere's war of independence, and then covered it up. I'm starting to think I may have hit close to the mark when I suggested that the dimension eater detonation at Scarfell was caused by a botched attempt to weaponize Var syndrome and mind control on Windermere's part.

The real treat of this episode is the Hayate-Mirage character building going on here. This, more than anything, has made up for the unsatisfying dogfights in the previous episodes. I am continually surprised by how much Kawamori and co. have managed to make me like these characters. It's also very interesting to see the hull breach countermeasures on this older city ship too... emergency bulkheads EVERYWHERE. My only question is why the hell things keep exploding, seemingly at random... it's a starship made out of carbon composites, not gunpowder.

Honestly, I'd have given this episode a positive review just on the basis of the character-building, but Freyja's reaction to the noises Hayate and Mirage were making on the radio totally sells it.

The Elysion's docking sequence is just... ... ... wrong. And such a small energy connector too. Space must be very cold indeed...

The new ED's pretty damn good though. Hopefully the OP that goes with it will be of similar quality.

Mirage would have the same problem he had on his own, they would both just float up due to busted artificial gravity, that's why he needed her to keep him anchored so he could exert force on the wheel.

They could have wrapped themselves around the knob's column. That would have made for an even more awkward looking position when power was restored. Hell, if Haya-Haya lost grip and had to grab Mirage, he would have had the view from below.

My money is on:

-Scarface will stay behind on Ragna as leader of the resistance

-He will trick Keith into chasing him underwater and take him out with

a tail slap to his head

-And he will be the new Shinigami :D

Most accurate prediction on this thread!!

Still no subs yet? :(

Already Monday night here.

Damn, I'll have to slum it and watch episode 1 of season 2 of Killjoys instead.

Fansubbers are probably still on their way home from Anime Expo, like the speakerpodcast people. I don't expect the subs to show up until tomorrow, my time.

Question for the people in the know: When are the next round of magazines where articles about Macross show up due out?

Now look here you.... you people you! I've been waiting PATIENTLY to see Mirage-chui get a little romance/ecchi-ness going on and was glad to see some type of interaction between her an HayaHaya.

So stop complaining!!! Biiiiiiiidah. :p

Question for the people in the know: When are the next round of magazines where articles about Macross show up due out?

Animation magazines are usually around the 10th of the month, hobby magazines around the 25th.

Subtract a few days from street date for crappy cell phone photo leaks.

And by "that," you mean "not very much?" :lol: Should we go back and randomly insert "I'm naked under this jacket" as a caption over random Mirage scenes? ^_^

well when you're stationed at some tropical planet and bomber jackets are apparently part of your uniform and you can wear pretty much anything underneath, you're most likely going to wear something light underneath, then again Haya-haya wears a full on hoodie underneath his jacket.

totally random, spoiler-free inane comment... after yesterday, Zero-G Love is in loop in my head. HELPPPP!!!

There's always Grace and Leon's version of the song from the Frontier Drama CDs.

Yes, you should.

I'm probably going to hell for some of the other things that I've made with Episode 14 anyway, so...

Here goes. The two animations at the start are probably best.

https://streamable.com/wcza

https://streamable.com/fq75

vWNkRac.jpg

bNx5K1K.jpg

FVsDLGa.jpg

1QrqRuh.jpg

1j5ttyc.jpg

[

Edited by This Confuses Gamlin

So Mirage has been wearing that underneath her flight jacket this whole time?

My thoughts exactly. With Haya Haya, his wear makes sense, Mirage was a big whaaaa.... May be they don't pay Mirage enough for her to afford more clothes. This goes back to the theory that CHAOS is the lower end of the merc services. Can't even pay their employees enough to have a change in clothing. Just look at Arad, Messer and Mirage. Thank God Chuck can supplement his clothing allowance with his restaurant business.

Speaking of what moments, I think either Hayate is completely "immune" to the opposite sex or his sex Ed has been completely ignored. Hello, you have a cute girl pressing her goods right against you, probably your first such experience, shouldn't you feel something?

There's always Grace and Leon's version of the song from the Frontier Drama CDs.

I'm probably going to hell for some of the other things that I've made with Episode 14 anyway, so...

Here goes. The two animations at the start are probably best.

https://streamable.com/wcza

https://streamable.com/fq75

vWNkRac.jpg

bNx5K1K.jpg

FVsDLGa.jpg

1QrqRuh.jpg

1j5ttyc.jpg

[

Ha ha, love it.

Hayate you fool!