The Medicom - Mafex - RAH Thread

On 1/24/2022 at 10:06 PM, bruinsinla said:

Superman Hush reissue is available for preorder at Hobby Search

You know what, I hadn't notice the 'S' cape on my figure until I saw this comparison video. Not a bummer though. I prefer the original due to its longer abs. ;) 

10 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

You know what, I hadn't notice the 'S' cape on my figure until I saw this comparison video. Not a bummer though. I prefer the original due to its longer abs. ;)

Out of curiosity, does your first release Superman also have a nauseating smell?

Edited by lechuck

1 hour ago, lechuck said:

Out of curiosity, does your first release Superman also have a nauseating smell?

I'll check it again tonight. Will let you know. I just put it back to storage bin since I already dispose of the boxes.

35 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I’d prefer they do the correct Silver for once.  We keep getting the wrong colors for every one of her releases.

I know what you mean. But I think it will be impossible to get a look similar to the comic pages with just silver/metallic paint. 
To me black seems to be the more sensible choice.

2 hours ago, Scyla said:

I know what you mean. But I think it will be impossible to get a look similar to the comic pages with just silver/metallic paint. 
To me black seems to be the more sensible choice.

The second Toybiz version did a serviceable job way back in 90 and even Hasbro can do a pretty fine job with a surface similar to Silver Surfer.  The comic is a ludicrously polished surface but even a gray color like a silver crayon would be more accurate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I’m just going to stick to any future Into the Spider-Verse characters I don’t have a figure of for Marvel releases.  I didn’t even get any of the Wolverines.

Edited by sh9000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Isn’t Spider-Man supposed to be black and red? So the blue is a highlight of the black spandex. ^_^

The face and webbing are more the McFarlane style than the classic style. I think he’s always been blue, but after looking at images of that era Spider-Man in that style outfit and his black outfit, it kinda makes me question that. I think McFarlane intended the classic to still be dark blue especially after seeing his Spawn/ Spider-Man cover, but the way he did black back in the day looks the same as his blue.

7 hours ago, Big s said:

The face and webbing are more the McFarlane style than the classic style. I think he’s always been blue, but after looking at images of that era Spider-Man in that style outfit and his black outfit, it kinda makes me question that. I think McFarlane intended the classic to still be dark blue especially after seeing his Spawn/ Spider-Man cover, but the way he did black back in the day looks the same as his blue.

Outside of a short stint Spider-Man has always been depicted as Blue and Red.  The two head sculpts provided  are the same two that have come with every other classic Spider-Man release and are Mark Bagley style.  The image you posted above is from later in MacFarlane's career where the look of the mask had already changed from when Todd was originally on the book and more reflects Bagely at that point.

McFarlane isn't always the colorist either.

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Outside of a short stint Spider-Man has always been depicted as Blue and Red.  The two head sculpts provided  are the same two that have come with every other classic Spider-Man release and are Mark Bagley style.  The image you posted above is from later in MacFarlane's career where the look of the mask had already changed from when Todd was originally on the book and more reflects Bagely at that point.

McFarlane isn't always the colorist either.

I had always heard that Mcfarlane was the one that enlarged the eyes and popularized the spaghetti webbing. I still have some of those comics buried away in a box. Before his run, I remember the eyes were much smaller, like more than half the size in some cases. 

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

I had always heard that Mcfarlane was the one that enlarged the eyes and popularized the spaghetti webbing. I still have some of those comics buried away in a box. Before his run, I remember the eyes were much smaller, like more than half the size in some cases. 

He enlarged the eyes but further modifications to the shapes, and his body type, were made by Eric Larsen and Mark Bagely after he left.  The shape of the mask/eyes is very Mark Bagely on this figure.  But they did manage to nail a proportion that evokes the "ideal" Spider-Man look which happens to cross over between Todd, Eric and Mark though.

15 minutes ago, Mommar said:

He enlarged the eyes but further modifications to the shapes, and his body type, were made by Eric Larsen and Mark Bagely after he left.  The shape of the mask/eyes is very Mark Bagely on this figure.  But they did manage to nail a proportion that evokes the "ideal" Spider-Man look which happens to cross over between Todd, Eric and Mark though.

Either way, it’s definitely not the classic Spider-Man. More like the late 80’s early 90’s Spider-Man. And the blue is like I said intended to be blue, but I could see how someone might think it was black since the way they highlighted black looks exactly the same as that eras dark blue was colored.