The Medicom - Mafex - RAH Thread

The white on blue cyclops is the version I’ve always been a fan of since that’s how he appeared in the comics way back when I was reading them. I know the yellow undies version is the one everyone else usually picks since that’s the one that ended up in the cartoon series, but I’ll probably get that older white and blue 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

The white on blue cyclops is the version I’ve always been a fan of since that’s how he appeared in the comics way back when I was reading them. I know the yellow undies version is the one everyone else usually picks since that’s the one that ended up in the cartoon series, but I’ll probably get that older white and blue 

Yeah. The old X-Factor Cyclops costume is iconic as well. :good:

xfactor_simonson.jpg.3ce686e230601c2e75d43345fafd487e.jpg

xfactor_whilce.jpg.00183c4c8d4adbfb3b1ea0dd0970e4db.jpg

It’s weird, Mafex seems to have a plan where it comes to the comic DC figures they release whereas with Marvel it’s an utterly strange buckshot of things.  Spider-Man may be the only one with a consistent Bagley theme.  But the X-Men?  Cyke and Gambit from the Blue team, Animated Series Wolverine, Jean from the Gold Team… and Age of Apocalypse Magneto?  And 80’s/Blue Team 1-3 and X-Factor Cyke.

Edited by Mommar

27 minutes ago, Mommar said:

It’s weird, Mafex seems to have a plan where it comes to the comic DC figures they release whereas with Marvel it’s an utterly strange buckshot of things.  Spider-Man may be the only one with a consistent Bagley theme.  But the X-Men?  Cyke and Gambit from the Blue team, Animated Series Wolverine, Jean from the Gold Team… and Age of Apocalypse Magneto?  And 80’s/Blue Team 1-3 and X-Factor Cyke.

I'm kind of glad with their DC plan. However, I was actually hesitant on completing the Hush set in the beginning that's why I didn't PO Joker and Harley. But seeing that there was a Huntress and Nightwing on plan, I'm thinking now if I should track Joker and Harley or just get the heroes this time around. I'm wishing that Robin will be made this time since my DCDirect set is incomplete for not having Robin.

I’m not sure if I wanna pick up this upcoming Cyborg Superman figure. But of course there really is no point in getting the Return of Superman Black suit if I don’t pick up this Mafex release. 

50 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I don’t know, outside of the chest color iIM looks nearly identical to the Hasbro one we just got a few months back.  

Very similar, but only one of them will give you much better articulation. Wishful thinking, but I hope they quickly get around to doing either Bleeding Edge or the black/gold Marvel Now! version.

As exciting as all these previews are, my enthusiasm is once again dampened by another round of delays for Gambit and Animated Batman.

1 hour ago, lechuck said:

Very similar, but only one of them will give you much better articulation. Wishful thinking, but I hope they quickly get around to doing either Bleeding Edge or the black/gold Marvel Now! version.

As exciting as all these previews are, my enthusiasm is once again dampened by another round of delays for Gambit and Animated Batman.

Based on what I see here there’s very little difference in articulation too.  Not enough to proclaim it’s much better.

The Mafex version will incorporate their usual figure articulation, why would they reduce that?

• toe joint
  • ankles can rotate left/right, hinge up/down and tilt
  • double jointed knees, hidden (!) leg swivel
  • pull down hips for better forward and outward leg motion
  • waist crunch
  • torso crunch, tilt and swivel
  • rotating hands with the option to either hinge up/down or left/right
  • double jointed elbows, bicep swivel
  • shoulder assembly that allows for up/down, rotating and pivoting
  • ball jointed neck and double ball joint setup for head

So their is more compared to a ML and IMO their articulation scheme feels more seamless and natural.

1 minute ago, lechuck said:

The Mafex version will incorporate their usual figure articulation, why would they reduce that?

• toe joint
  • ankles can rotate left/right, hinge up/down and tilt
  • double jointed knees, hidden (!) leg swivel
  • pull down hips for better forward and outward leg motion
  • waist crunch
  • torso crunch, tilt and swivel
  • rotating hands with the option to either hinge up/down or left/right
  • double jointed elbows, bicep swivel
  • shoulder assembly that allows for up/down, rotating and pivoting
  • ball jointed neck and double ball joint setup for head

So their is more compared to a ML and IMO their articulation scheme feels more seamless and natural.

A marvel legends or The particular figure I’m referring to?  ML have drop down hip hinges added to newer figures too.  There’s no evidence of a double ball peg neck for this IM.  The design doesn’t lend itself to that.  The should assembly makes little sense in this figures context too.  All you’ve really listed here is toe joints and maybe more dynamic wrists?  Not exactly a huge improvement.  

Without the moving neck or drumbell setup for the head, this figure will be a fail for any type of flying pose, it would be crazy for Medicom to omit that. I am convinced you will be able to pivot the shoulders around those rings. Also you forget that the ML does not have the double crunch and torso tilt option like Mafex figures have. A linear ab-crunch and waist swivel can only do so much, so no it is not just toe joint and dynamic wrists.

Marvel Legends are average to good figures for their price, but lets not pretend that 25 dollars gets you parity or more against Japanese offerings.

Edited by lechuck

6 hours ago, lechuck said:

Without the moving neck or drumbell setup for the head, this figure will be a fail for any type of flying pose, it would be crazy for Medicom to omit that. I am convinced you will be able to pivot the shoulders around those rings. Also you forget that the ML does not have the double crunch and torso tilt option like Mafex figures have. A linear ab-crunch and waist swivel can only do so much, so no it is not just toe joint and dynamic wrists.

Marvel Legends are average to good figures for their price, but lets not pretend that 25 dollars gets you parity or more against Japanese offerings.

$20.  And if you're 90% of the way there paying an extra $60 isn't worth it.

10 hours ago, Mommar said:

$20.  And if you're 90% of the way there paying an extra $60 isn't worth it.

I prefer my figures to each have individual sculpting for their suit and gear instead of awkward fitting addendum stuff on a base bucks, more consistent and accurate paint, female characters that have the same range of articulation as their male counterparts, double joints on elbows and knees that actually provide more than right angle bends and more accessories for the character instead of a piece that belongs to another figure.

So I am pretty comfortable with the 90% more effort the Mafex figures have over ML and definitely well worth it to spend the extra $60.

Out of curiosity, if you are convinced the MLs are that good why are you buying Mafex - you do get them right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Series-6-inch-Tony-Stark-A-I-Figure/357006685

$12 Classic Iron Man alternative.

ML doesn’t have an official X-Men Gold Team Storm, Colossus, or Iceman yet so if they get released by Mafex I might consider them.

Edited by sh9000

• 2 weeks later...