Mission 13: Diving Passion  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Macross Ely .... FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (My passion for this show took a nose dive a long time ago)

Oh man, this would posit that Delta is a continuity of the Frontier movie universe, which diverges from the Frontier series.

I doubt that theory as Mikumo is hinted to have a connection to the Protoculture as she recognizes the Sigur Valens.

Also the Delta glossary posits Gallia 4/Gaul 4 getting blown up happened.

Doesn't that get Jossed by the alternate video version of the Sayonara no Tsubasa end credits sequence, where everyone's dandy?

Hmm, so is Mikhail dead or alive, it's kind of like Heizneberg's uncertainty principle, the only way to find out is to get a Vajra and have him impale Mikhail again, if he twitches a lot, then the movie continuity must be right since obviously he would've been alive, otherwise he wouldn't be twitching.

Oh man, this would posit that Delta is a continuity of the Frontier movie universe, which diverges from the Frontier series.

But then if we look at the Frontier series, it appears to be more of a continuity of the DYRL universe, which could be interpreted as an offshot of the original SDFM universe. We have like basically a series of divergent continuities, like a bunch of simulations off the real and true SDFM universe. Then there is the SDFM universe which is a fiction of this universe, and what if we're just like the movie version of a series that happened elsewhere. It's like a continuity within a continuity within a continuity... :wacko:

Kawamori is toying with us, OMG, MIND BLOWN

Nah... you're overthinking it.

Kawamori's view on Macross continuity can be expressed relatively simply as "What continuity?". He basically takes the view that all versions of a given story are equally correct and valid. So it's kind of a "Schrodinger's continuity". It's a useful view that effectively frees Kawamori from being tied to the minutae of any one story while working on the next one. (Can't really argue with the results, since it always seems to lead to an interesting story.)

Official publications often take a less loosey-goosey view that favors the TV series version of multiply-depicted events for timeline purposes. Macross Chronicle's timeline sheet set works like that for the most part.

That's a fun thought... if the Brisingr cluster offices are Kaos's equivalent of "reassigned to Antarctica" used to get rid of staff who can't hack it in a more important market or who would be legally problematic to fire, that'd go quite a ways to explain why Kaos's staff seems to lackluster compared to the fairly elite SMS troops from Frontier.

I dunno. Luca was SMS and he didn't seem that elite.

I know nothing about her Japanese, but if I were to cast a dub, I'd give her Andrea Libman... better known in some circles as Pinkie Pie. Just for the somewhat-obvious reference, which is more than the colour scheme.

What about Ashleigh Ball? Not so much for her voice, but for the obvious apple-fixation reference :p

Saw this theory posted on Reddit and thought maaaaaaaaybe it could be considered a possibility. Though it's early and I'm half asleep so it may sound silly. :p

I'd like that to be the case, if only because it would be really unexpected for them to go with something so... expected. But, keep in mind Delta is taking place pretty far away from Frontier (right?), so that would be quite the leap.

Still, it would be nice to have some more bleed over from previous works. At the very least an odd VF-25 or something.

On another note, one thing I've loved about Delta over Frontier - much more action. I remember waiting for many weeks just to get a Valkyrie battle with Frontier, whereas in Delta they have had pretty consistent action. Unfortunately, they still rely on recycled animation more than I would like (none at all being the ideal).

Hmm, so is Mikhail dead or alive, it's kind of like Heizneberg's uncertainty principle, the only way to find out is to get a Vajra and have him impale Mikhail again, if he twitches a lot, then the movie continuity must be right since obviously he would've been alive, otherwise he wouldn't be twitching.

Honestly I always expected Mikhail to come back as a cyborg man (just where was Brera during that scene?), but the movies ended up being a retelling instead of a sequel. Ah well, guess we'll never know.

Edited by Product9

Doesn't that get Jossed by the alternate video version of the Sayonara no Tsubasa end credits sequence, where everyone's dandy?

I'd appreciate a link to that.

I'd appreciate a link to that.

It's literally just another concert number to book-end the series, with Sheryl and Ranka singing a song together in a holo-stage that looks like a giant living room. It's not over-painted like they do for the numbers in the movie, the characters are left in 3D (normally they do these things like this then draw the characters over the rough models, there's a guy from Ireland i think who did some tutorials on youtube showing how it's done), so it looks a little different from the other numbers, but Kawamori himself says it's supposed to be set after the rest of the movie which would pretty much require Sheryl to be back up and singing.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, an MMDish feel seems there (and I checked and MMD existed). But in the Macross context, and also with all those glowsticks, I immediately thought of the Vocaloid holographic concerts. Those concerts, and the Vocaloid subculture in general, appear to draw on Macross Plus.

(I'd really love to know if Saki Fujita, the voice of Miku, watched Macross Plus and what she thought of it. I can't help drawing a parallel between her and Myung as "the real person who was behind the much more popular virtual idol").

It exists in that Uncanny-Valleyish world between MMD and Love Live!:

I have seen MMD videos that are much better in visual & movements!

On my umpteenth rewatch whilst waiting for new subs, I only just noticed that the two non-speaking crew on the Elysion bridge were taking a coffee break when Ernie Joe brought out the Hemera Cannon. The forward stations at 19:17 or so were completely empty! They also don't seem to be there earlier in the episode, though to be fair the seats' headrests may obscure them from view (the animation frame looks like it was re-used from a previous episode or two). They WERE there in the recycled footage from the previous episode as the SV passes Elysion on the way to fold.

Guessing this episode's artists didn't get the memo that those forward stations, traditionally associated with the flying and fighting of any Macross ship, should be manned when the ship is doing just that. :p

Mark

Edited by tout-puissant

The "always sides with the underdog", and "loses 100 out of 10 battles" reminds me a lot of Remy talking to Rick in Casablanca. to paraphrase 'in Spain, you fought on the loyalist side ... you ran guns to ethiopia ... in both cases the winning side would have paid you much better".

A mercenary who is at heart a sentimentalist. Perhaps he actually does have a sort of deathwish; he wants to die for a hopeless cause

Not sure if this was brought up...but it's also confirmed by the credits and Macross Speaker Podcast.

The Sigur Valens designer IS Kazutaka Miyatake.