I really liked it, it was much better then the theatrical cut, which isn't saying much, but this version was a film I actually enjoyed. I think the theatrical cut should've been 3 hours minimum, there's just so much that wasn't explained in the theatrical cut, it needed more time. 

I'd honestly put Snyder cut above BvS, Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn solo movie, and WW84, it was definitely a more enjoyable, more coherent film. The 4:3 was jarring for all of five minutes, I stopped noticing after that. This is definitely the cut we should've gotten, every characters motivations make sense, the villain makes more sense, and looks better, it was all just far better paced and better told, scene by scene actually made sense over the really dodgy theatrical cut. 

I'm a casual superhero fan. I don't read comics, etc.

This was a million times better than the original. By far the best DCU movie to date. I do like Snyder movies in general though. I have a dark soul.

2 hours ago, eXis10z said:

I'm just curious if there's anyone who hated the 2017 JL but has come around with the snyder cut.

I wouldn't say hated. I thought it was pretty bad though.

LOVE the Snyder cut.

Edited by sqidd

5 hours ago, eXis10z said:

I'm just curious if there's anyone who hated the 2017 JL but has come around with the snyder cut.

Having hated the original, I must begrudgingly agree Snyder's cut is a major improvement...

Oddly enough, having recently revisited Superman II, I had exactly the same reaction to the Richard Donner cut.  By removing all the material reshot by a different director, then taking the time to reconstruct older footage and digitally restoring it to the original director's intention, it greatly improves the film... to a watchable state, at least. :unsure:

Ditto for Justice League.

9 hours ago, eXis10z said:

I too wouldn't say I hated the theatrical cut, but it was definitely beyond mediocre, boring, and was obviously cut up from two versions by two directors, it didn't feel complete at all. I'd definitely say I enjoyed the Snyder Cut as a whole, it was an actually enjoyable, easy to follow Justice League film. Snyder Cut is definitely one of the better DCEU films at this point IMO, I'd definitely say I enjoyed it as much as and more then some different MCU films. 

I'll be giving it a watch at some point, hopefully the end battle is much improved, it was seriously lacking in the theatrical cut.  Still it's important to remember that this is not the movie that Snyder would have made four years ago, it's the movie that got made as a result of the Weden cut. 

3 hours ago, levzloi said:

....  Still it's important to remember that this is not the movie that Snyder would have made four years ago, it's the movie that got made as a result of the Weden cut. 

1) Even if that is an accurate assessment, Why is that important to remember? 

2) Whedon removed much of what Snyder already filmed.  Including pretty much the whole Cyborg arc. Most of this was just finishing effects. 

I will agree that this wouldn’t be what was released in the theaters either, though, as....especially in 2017....a 4 hr movie wouldn’t be in theaters. Streaming really is a great platform to allow filmmakers to expand their stories without worrying about theater turnaround times.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Yeah I wasn't really implying this four hour cut would've worked in theaters, just whatever Snyder would've cooked up for his promised 3 hour theatrical release probably would've still been better then what we got.

Looking back at the theatrical release, they cut a lot of what I'd consider pretty essential stuff that made the whole film flow better, and make more sense. Either way, I feel the theatrical cut needed more time, it was terribly rushed, to the detriment of pretty much everything in the film.

Three would be pushing it, four is in two-parter territory, if this had been released in theaters. And I could easily have seen that happening, and it would have been fine. There have been a fare number of movies that have done that in recent decades.

As to the Snyder Cut, that I have yet to see, one thing that troubled me about the director-change-over, was that it was no longer Snyder's film. We know that Whedon changed a lot of what had already been filmed, and in doing so started making the movie his rather than honoring the role he was assuming. And that especially considering the circumstances that forced Snyder to step away from it.

I’m gonna save my criticism of this till after I watch it. It’s just that I hated the original and then rewatched it recently and maybe hated it more and now I’m having a hard time convincing myself to watch a 4 hour version of a movie that sucked in the hopes that it might be good.

Spoiler

"Now is your time to rise. Take your place amongst the brave ones. It's time to: stand, fight, discover, heal, love and win. The time is now!"

Roughly quoted from Silas Stone's last words.

-Zack Synder's Justice League 

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

On 3/19/2021 at 4:14 AM, eXis10z said:

Definitely me.

I had low expectations because of how mixed the DCEU has been overall, and I say this not as faint praise but Synder's JL was an improvement in every way. Not only did I not hate this version, I've actually watched it twice because I enjoyed it that much.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:16 PM, Dobber said:

1) Even if that is an accurate assessment, Why is that important to remember? 

2) Whedon removed much of what Snyder already filmed.  Including pretty much the whole Cyborg arc. Most of this was just finishing effects. 

I will agree that this wouldn’t be what was released in the theaters either, though, as....especially in 2017....a 4 hr movie wouldn’t be in theaters. Streaming really is a great platform to allow filmmakers to expand their stories without worrying about theater turnaround times.

Chris

You answered your own question sir, without the disaster that was Whedon's version of JL and for the pandemic this movie would not have been made, and certainly would not have been released to theaters. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:54 PM, Tking22 said:

Yeah I wasn't really implying this four hour cut would've worked in theaters, just whatever Snyder would've cooked up for his promised 3 hour theatrical release probably would've still been better then what we got.

Looking back at the theatrical release, they cut a lot of what I'd consider pretty essential stuff that made the whole film flow better, and make more sense. Either way, I feel the theatrical cut needed more time, it was terribly rushed, to the detriment of pretty much everything in the film.

This is also the case with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, I haven't watched the Ultimate Edition/Version/Whatever It's Called of B v S but I hear it's much better, aided by the additional 30 minute runtime.

The Synder version is proof positive that had he remained director and and his "theatrical version" released theaters in '17 it would have probably been received as "meh" to "it sucked" because it would have to have been edited down, losing at least 90 minutes of runtime. 

COVID (:(), HBO Max and the streaming wars made this one all possible.

-b.

8 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

You answered your own question sir, without the disaster that was Whedon's version of JL and for the pandemic this movie would not have been made, and certainly would not have been released to theaters. 

This is also the case with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, I haven't watched the Ultimate Edition/Version/Whatever It's Called of B v S but I hear it's much better, aided by the additional 30 minute runtime.

The Synder version is proof positive that had he remained director and and his "theatrical version" released theaters in '17 it would have probably been received as "meh" to "it sucked" because it would have to have been edited down, losing at least 90 minutes of runtime. 

COVID (:(), HBO Max and the streaming wars made this one all possible.

-b.

Thanks, that's basically what I was trying to say, I'm looking forward to watching it this week. 

Going down that line of thinking then Joss’s movie was only made because of Snyder’s daughters tragic death which in turn prevented Synder from making a version of his film in the first place. So is her tragic death why this version got made  and then also why JL failed. It doesn’t matter or at least isn’t “important to remember” otherwise round and round it goes back to the beginning of time.

My point was that it’s “neither here nor there” the movie is good and the statement seems like it is trying to take away it’s success, and give credit elsewhere.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

My point was that it’s “neither here nor there” the movie is good and the statement seems like it is trying to take away it’s success, and give credit elsewhere.

Chris

Agreed.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:23 AM, levzloi said:

I'll be giving it a watch at some point, hopefully the end battle is much improved, it was seriously lacking in the theatrical cut.

You won't be disappointed.

I finally completed the movie last night and the the Snyder cut trashes Whedon cut. We really were robbed of a theatrical experience for this movie. It's not without its flaws of course but perhaps JL wouldn't fare so poorly in the box office if this had been the cut released back then.

So much better than the theatrical version! It in no way felt like four hours of viewing. Each time we got to a new chapter title I was surprised at how fast the previous hour went. Also much more serious than Whedon's, though I wouldn't have minded had they left some of the theatrical's comedic moments in. Also thought they dug too deep into some of the motivations of the heroes, to the point that I felt the main plot was put on the back burner a little too often, but still, I very much enjoyed this.

I would definitely watch if Snyder is given the means to complete his story. Though...

Spoiler

I could do without any of Lois being Bruce's baby momma.

:D

5 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Johnz: Calm down people! Wait ... Ouch

The Justice League is angry with Martian Manhunter because he was completely superfluous, never did anything to help, and didn't belong in the movie... like, at all?

'Cause I totally get that. :p

Finally finished it tonight. Way better than the Whedon cut. F'ing shame that WB abandoned this arc and I'm certain Afflek's alcoholism had a lot to do with it too. That being said, a majority of the WB/DC movies will always be better than the MCU's. 

Edited by TangledThorns

It was a bit too long, and kinda had that slow down thing too much that really didn’t help. I also feel like it spent too much time on it’s side quests. Overall it’s nowhere near as bad as the original and the battle scenes are definitely less boring. Overall I think I liked it , but will probably never watch it again. The comments about how this would never have been the real cut seem very true. It’s way too long and the Cyborg stuff feels more like an add on. The fish face guy thing was kinda pointless. But the newer look of the villains really helped.

Overall the dcu only has one great movie so far and I don’t think Joker actually counts as part of that universe.

Every “director’s cut” will always be longer or different because it’s closer to what the director wants. 
Now that I have watched this, yes it is significantly better than the Whedon-cut. I would have walked out of the theater much happier with the Synder-cut. It’s not without its flaws, but I came out more satisfied than with the Whedon-cut.