My first Macross Rewatch with my child!

arbit

There was a pretty good SDFM English dub, featuring Mari IIjima as Minmay. I gooogled a stream pretty easily a couple of years ago when I showed it to the children. Just make sure it's not Robotech, In fact a google for "super dimension fortress macross english dub" seems to yield ep1 of the right dub streamable right now.

It's a great dub! You can find the complete set on ebay for about $30 shipped most of the time. Well worth the purchase.

Resurrecting the topic, I put on Macross to watch with my son when he was 3. He called it "Airplanes" and would occasionally sit through it.

He catches me watching it now and then, and might get glued to a good battle scene, but he leaves when the action stops. He is almost 7 now, so still too young to appreciate the actual meat of the series which is the character stuff.

He likes my toys, though. I let him play with most of them (Matchbox Robotech Battlepods, Yamato Quadrano Armor. My collection is mostly character figures...and mostly Misa!)

The only Valkyrie I have is a 1:100 HIkaru VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. I prefer the vintage Bandai mold though, and someday I will bother to save up for my holy grail - a vintage Bandai Hikaru VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. They seem to run between $300 and $400 dollars, though. That's nuts for a toy, but I'll do it eventually. For now, my son gets to play with my vintage Transformers Jetfire instead.

Edited by Robowang

Resurrecting the topic, I put on Macross to watch with my son when he was 3. He called it "Airplanes" and would occasionally sit through it.

He catches me watching it now and then, and might get glued to a good battle scene, but he leaves when the action stops. He is almost 7 now, so still too young to appreciate the actual meat of the series which is the character stuff.

He likes my toys, though. I let him play with most of them (Matchbox Robotech Battlepods, Yamato Quadrano Armor. My collection is mostly character figures...and mostly Misa!)

The only Valkyrie I have is a 1:100 HIkaru VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. I prefer the vintage Bandai mold though, and someday I will bother to save up for my holy grail - a vintage Bandai Hikaru VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. They seem to run between $300 and $400 dollars, though. That's nuts for a toy, but I'll do it eventually. For now, my son gets to play with my vintage Transformers Jetfire instead.

I feel you.

In my case, I just knew my kids weren't going to be in to it at 3 or 7 years old. So I waited until he was around 11 to show my oldest, and it worked out well enough.

New thread suggestion: First Macross Rewatch with my Wife!

But I'm not gonna go there...

Edited by arbit

• 4 months later...

Now watching Macross II with my 12-year old son, subtitled.

From the first episode, he was really enjoying it. 

I don't know, but I think this generation is a lot sharper than we were.

He was noticing stuff that I had not picked up after several viewings:

Most interestingly, he noticed that there were Zentraedi battleships on the side of the Earth fleet. He also noticed that the Macross Cannon has Zentraedi battleship arms (which is too cool on many counts).

For my part, I have always like Mac II, but only after seeing it subtitled. Sorry, but the dub sucks. Now it has gone up even higher in my estimation... maybe after the bad taste from Delta? 

Although not made with Kawamori's involvment, but it was definitely for Macross fans by Macross fans.

Go watch it subbed. It's all Macross, all the time.

I can only assume that haters have only seen the dub, because it is AWESOME.

• 4 months later...

We just finished watching the first series yesterday.  A 7, 5 and 4 years old.  We watched the ADV "Lacrosse" English dub and boy there were some swearing like sh* and b*t ch.  Yes they are  too young to be watching this but the two older ones understood what was happening.  The youngest kept on saying "Hikaru's in love with Minmay" and "Thats Roy Focker's airplane".  The middle child is amazed with and Monster and the SDF-1's first transformation.

Then I whipped out the PSP playing emulation of the Macross famicom game and they immediately recognized the in game music "Shao Pai Lon".  After a few tries, my eldest blewup his first Zentraedi Boss in the game.

Priceless moments.

They sound young, but its great when your own kids know their Zentraedi.

Well we hit a road block with my 12 year old, after loving Macross II, he absolutely hated and was bored to death by Macross Plus.

Need a blood test to make sure he is really mine!

Edited by arbit

This is such a great thread! I'm excited to rewatch macross with my little one though I have another 5-6 years before he's ready.

He seems to like my valks but I'm not sure that he would dig the show. 

I've been thinking of when to show SDFM to my son. We're currently working through Transformers G1. He just turned 8, so I don't think he's ready for Macross yet, plus I am a bit more of a protective parent than many. He likes my HMR VF-1 collection, is intrigued by my Robotech DVDs (they have more colorful art than my SDFM AnimEigo set) and asks when he can watch "the show with the jets." While some may object, I may start with the Macross Saga of Robotech, as it's a bit more kid-friendly, and I'm not sure how well he'd do with subs. 

Addendum:

See my post above...  My second child (5 years old) recognizes the Destroid Spartan as I showed him pictures of the toy over at the HMR thread.  He says "that's the robot that slapped the Zentraedi's butt" (on one episode towards the end of SDFM)...