Wave 1/72 VF-4 lightning

seti88

1 hour ago, VF-1A Grunt said:

I’ve got two in the warehouse at HLJ. I think one of them will end up in the Sonic Birds scheme. I’ll have to grab an extra Sonic Birds VF-1 for the decals.

my 4-ship is now in hand... these look to be impressive little kits... 

plans: Max, Milia, SVMF-214 “Black Sheep”, and SMVF(AW)-224 "Bengals" but with some direct inspiration from this Eurofighter...

OH! She's Bronze... :fool:I feel foolish... but now I'm looking forward to painting it even more!

Very pretty, well done Luftwaffe!

My wave kit has arrived.

20180416_074222_zpsqhailsla.jpg

20180416_074239_zpsqeug41zy.jpg20180416_081123_zps4bjpadp9.jpg20180416_081131_zpsyly56ty5.jpg20180416_081139_zps649wahg9.jpg20180416_081146_zpscdwxssnp.jpg

Pretty simple instructions and construction. Not much to the kit really But... it looks good!!

26 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

No... the book needs to be the size it is for marketing. All kits like it are in boxes that size.

Oh yeah, I suppose that would be a pretty strong consideration. Still, though, the size of the box makes you think the kit is much more involved than it has turned out to be.

Initial build begun.

Main body slips together in 15secs!. Seams, as to be expected from WAVE, are positioned to be virtually invisible. Ram jet intakes and exhausts will need painting before assembly of the body halves. Although its snap together it still needs gluing to seal it firmly. Panel lining is good and the airframe cover snaps in beautifully with a perfect panel line gap at the edge. 

Edited by NZEOD

Ok... so after a total elapsed time of 15mins which includes taking photos the main structure is complete up to filler and primer stage. Pretty impressed. 

Seam running along the centre of the front section, behind the canopy will need filling. 

Seam running along the engine nacelles will need filling, especially the piece above the intake/ below the nacelle cannons.

Wing bottom centre sections need glue. They have no snap fittings. 

The cockpit can be built, detailed and then installed separately after body painting.... nice touch that.

The intakes, if you are glueing this model together, should have the upper locating pin trimmed off so it can be slid I to plan after nacelle painting. This way the turbine blades can be alclad painted and slipped in after the intakes get the white wash treatment. No masking required!

The exhausts, vanes and verniers can all be fitted after painting with ease. Undercarriage and body mounted AA missiles as well. 

All fins, singlets and wings are well fitted and quite strong so no breakage in handling or incorrectly located and angled fins.

Dislikes.... lack of an opening cockpit. 

Lack of a main gun. The master files show them with one and sometimes two main guns.

Minimal decals and a boring version of the fighter chosen. I know why they chose it, it' still boring.

That' honestly all i can bag it for so far.

Quick correction. The canopy CAN be modelled open. It just opens in an unexpected way as shown in the VF-4 Master File.

My VF is now undercoated and reassembled ready for pre shading and base colour painting.

Just off for a quick late night blat round the hills on the other halfs KTM then I'll post up some more progress pics.

Super motard mode rocks!

20180416_193858_zpsg7tsvsuf.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

20180416_204848_zpsnn7pcm7r.jpg

Base coated.

20180416_210125_zps9evoxajk.jpg

That will do for tonight. Tomorrow will be the detail parts like verniers, cockpit, Undercarriage, turbin3s and nozzles plus any touchups on the body before a layer of future or slclad clear for decalling.

Edited by NZEOD

No... it can run hand cannon too. At east according to the master file

The GU-11C

20180417_071455_zps89avttfx.jpg20180417_071330_zpsupxyinub.jpg20180417_071253_zpsjeunzp52.jpg20180417_071150_zpszgggza1z.jpg

Now we just need xigfrid skills to come 3d print a few...

Edited by NZEOD

BE REALLY REALLY CAREFUL removing the rear canopy from the sprue.... I managed, quite easily... to snap mine in two!

On 16/04/2018 at 1:20 PM, derex3592 said:

Sounds like a great kit!  Maybe not Bandai Star Wars level, but sounds like Wave did a pretty darn good job.  I wouldn't mind picking one up at some point.  What's a decent price for the kit?  

5800 yen is the base price

3 hours ago, NZEOD said:

BE REALLY REALLY CAREFUL removing the rear canopy from the sprue.... I managed, quite easily... to snap mine in two!

Yikes. You're talking about the clear canopy piece, or is there a separate frame for the rear of the canopy, too? Regardless, that's really unfortunate... Plans to rectify the situation?

Thoroughly recommend if you intend using Alclad II metallized for the engine parts to try using their black gloss base as your base layer. I used stainless steel on the engine turbines and vanes then pale burnt metal on the ends then jet exhaust in a streak down the centre of the inside of the vanes. The finish on the stainless was mirror smooth thanks to the black base.

More mods... shave off the locating pin on one side only of each exhaust vane to allow them to be painted and installed after the pods are built. They are such a goid fit they still operating and sit in place just fine.

Edited by NZEOD

If you want to model the vf4 in trappi g mode... as in arrest r hook down and touching down nose high... you'll need to remove and reset the lower pod underside fins to be more horizontal as otherwise they will strike the deck long before the undercarriage would. 

The master file implies they can fold out like this