Mission 10: AXIA's Flash  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Everybody Loves Kaname)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Just what we need, more bad music.)

Holy crap, this episode... It was slow going at first but it escalated quickly, and I didn't even realize I was holding my breath during the last sequence. That climax though, hit me right in the feels.

Nah... As this show is, there is a limit to how much Bomba you can sustain. Macross 7 played dangerous games with that limit, lol.

I was just kidding. XD I think they'll leave it to the kids to make the Fire Bomber references. Did the little girl make any references to past shows after the two boys made the Fire Bomber reference?

Edited by kamadoma

Kaname was resonating with Messer and she felt Messer's death. The only other person who has felt such was Ranka with the Vajra. However Messer is a human not an alien intelligence. I can imagine it like in Pacific Rim when your drift compatible partner dies.

Damn, Mirage better step up her pilot game soon. Hayate as well of course.

I wonder if it will turn out to be a thing where the two of them flying together and complementing each other strengths and weaknesses will lead to them being able to realize their true potential. A unique two person flying style that keeps enemies off balance and lets them handle greater numbers. If so it's gonna be an awesome moment when they first figure this out.

Pretty decent ep. I'm in the camp that thought they were flying Messer's death flag way too hard. Of course until we actually have a funeral scene he's potentially not dead yet.

Cyborg Messer? Could be but that's really a cheap way out and a poor choice for an event that could really impact everyone.

So a little bit of my own conjecture. I wonder how much Keith had planned going into this fight? if it was all premeditated, it's brilliant. They helix cross-overded in SO MANY of their exchanges that's enough predictive habit to let Keith rely on it happening. Keeping one drone in reserve to fly interference was also brilliant. What we know about Kieth's personality, it would make more "sense" that he wouldn't use a distraction technique. But given that they've been equal in all the previous exchanges he needed to dig deep and do something that's counter to his flying style. Throw on top his selection of the head laser as a hidden/not previously used weapon is the clincher. I'm assuming it has a faster flight speed than the gun pod rounds and the fact he had to be confident enough to land the pinpoint cockpit shot AND believe that it was strong enough to penetrate show big his RUNES are.

Mod Note

24-hours are up.

REMINDER: From now on, if we see or hear about anyone posting spoilers during the first 24 hours, that user(s) will lose their posting privileges for the week and an extra 24 hours will be added to the thread for each offense.

I was just kidding. XD I think they'll leave it to the kids to make the Fire Bomber references. Did the little girl make any references to past shows after the two boys made the Fire Bomber reference?

Yeah, Sheryl's motto I think.

I wonder if it will turn out to be a thing where the two of them flying together and complementing each other strengths and weaknesses will lead to them being able to realize their true potential. A unique two person flying style that keeps enemies off balance and lets them handle greater numbers. If so it's gonna be an awesome moment when they first figure this out.

That's the hope. We've been guessing for a while now Haya-Haya was paired with Mirage because Mirage is too by-the-book while Hayate is too undisciplined, so the 2 would complement each other. But they're gonna have to step up their game now.

Messer's big death flag was giving Kaname the bracelet back. He should have kept the darned thing!

He could have pulled a Gamlin, if he kept the bracelet.

Outside of the drama at the end, there were quite a few things thrown at us in this episode.

The Epsilon representative having an Arabic appearance and the next Knights mission being to Al Shahal can't be a coincidence. It also seemed that Captain Johnson had a sudden insight when he looked at the star map with Al Shahal and the other 'resonating' planets indicated.

Mikumo's underwater adventure just shoved her nature way out of the 'weird girl' zone and way over into 'what the hell is she' territory.

Kaname, Keith, and Messer all resonating at the end (glowy aura effects) hints at something bigger than just the fold quartz effect that Hayate and Frejya experienced. Are the ruins producing an area effect fold resonance now?

On lesser notes, really liked the jellyfish festival and that part of Delta platoon's mission is to integrate to native culture. Also, the Epsilon representative's ship was really cool. Very different from most Macross designs we've seen so far.

I wonder now how Hayate and Mirage going to improved their piloting skill in short time as they have to be better than Messer as Keith able to defeat Messer and has Wing of light ability as well.

Just like in Evangelion when Shinji and Asuka had to be completely in sync with each other in EVERYTHING they did to prepare for an upcoming fight, By dancing and listening to music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJqwMu9kuRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpKDUCR9IeM

So what happens to Messer's VF?

Will a pilot from Alpha join the squadron?

Would it have killed them to introduce a few other pilots onboard the Elysion in previous episodes? I knew Delta has too many characters already...but a few seconds wouldn't have hurt.

i'm wondering who we will get filling in Messer's shoes (if at all?). Do we get a brand new character? We did get Maximilian Jenius appear in ep.8 in SDFM. Do we get existing characters to start flying? Maybe Kaname decides to stop singing and pilots instead? Or do Delta fight with just 4? Seems a bit light.

Maybe Lady M jumps into a Valk and shows the Knights how its done?

I just realized...

Chuck's sister never managed to tell Messer she likes him.

Right, I believe that's the "waitress" I referred to earlier (I forgot that she's Chuck's sister).

I don't recall seeing her character in the last few episodes, but she's in every opening wistfully watching Messer...so I'm reminded of her each week.

IMO Kaname makes the most sense, especially considering she hasn't really found her place in Walkure, or as an idol at all.

I would really like to see that.

Could happen. Maybe her and Mirage switch professions? :p

i'm wondering who we will get filling in Messer's shoes (if at all?). Do we get a brand new character? We did get Maximilian Jenius appear in ep.8 in SDFM. Do we get existing characters to start flying? Maybe Kaname decides to stop singing and pilots instead? Or do Delta fight with just 4? Seems a bit light.

Maybe they'll lighten the number of Knights they face. :)

I am wondering if they are going to pull a Gundam IBO with Messer. You see what looks like the kill shot, with all the blood splatter, then see he is still alive the next episode. But I doubt that.

Then which delta pilot will find their inner ace, and be the one to score the payback kill on the knights. Like to see Mirage step up there, as opposed to a new replacement character in the 2nd part of the season.

Edited by Fly'n Brian

Maybe they'll lighten the number of Knights they face. :)

Hasn't it been speculated that lady M might actually be Milia???? ha ha, that would be hilarious. Why not, she's a fighter ace, a mayor, and now a mysterious corporate head.

Granny is coming over to whip Mirage in shape. Kids... this is how you fly a Valk, and then she proceeds to take a Valk and fly circles around Delta platoon.

As for Kaname piloting, I just don't buy it, no, she is effective as Walkure leader. no need for her to be piloting.

That's why you have granny M.

Edited by kalvasflam

I seriously doubt Kaname will start piloting a valkyrie and i'm not sure why people think this makes the most sense. Hayate notwithstanding, you just don't become a pilot much less for an elite team like Delta. If the show decided to go this route i'd seriously be dissapointed as this would be more ridiculous IMO than the Walkure girls flying around in ep1. Next thing would be scarcat flying a valk, lol.

I seriously doubt Kaname will start piloting a valkyrie and i'm not sure why people think this makes the most sense. Hayate notwithstanding, you just don't become a pilot much less for an elite team like Delta. If the show decided to go this route i'd seriously be dissapointed as this would be more ridiculous IMO than the Walkure girls flying around in ep1. Next thing would be scarcat flying a valk, lol.

Or Freyja. >_>

I wonder now how Hayate and Mirage going to improved their piloting skill in short time as they have to be better than Messer as Keith able to defeat Messer and has Wing of light ability as well.

Don't forget the intro sequence has Mirage and Hayate pulling some tasty fighter to GERWALK choreographed moves. It's coming.

Watching again with the subs, the whole freakin episode was death flag after death flag for Messer. RIP Reaper. You drove well.

Edited by Moosey

So what happens to Messer's VF?

Will a pilot from Alpha join the squadron?

Would it have killed them to introduce a few other pilots onboard the Elysion in previous episodes? I knew Delta has too many characters already...but a few seconds wouldn't have hurt.

Maybe they will get his brain, or what is left of it. Then digitalize it just like some people of Macross Galaxy. Then he will become an airplane like Yukikaze. "Kaname, you have control"

Or Mikumo will reveal that she is actually a protodevlin or half-protodevlin and then it will be game over.

Edited by akt_m

I didn't mean to suggest she would become Delta 2 tomorrow. It would take training time, just like it did with Hayate. But I could see her becoming proficient by the time of the last major battle of the series or something along those lines.

I'm just saying that's what I'd like to see, but that doesn't mean that's what's going to happen (though it does make sense to me). I'm really looking forward to what is to come because this series has been pretty good at keeping me guessing.

maybe she just ages well. I think it would be super amusing if she shows up and doesn't look any older except her hair is even shorter than it was in 7.

Her and Max both, but honestly, if you think about it, it even makes sense that she would send Messer out knowing his condition...

Johnson: "Lady M, are you sure, you want to assign Messer to Delta platoon? He'll be in high stress situation, and he is a known carrier of VAR."

M: "Of course I am, Mirage is in serious need of training, she has the basics of piloting down, but none of the instincts, Messer is ideal for training people."

Johnson: "How do we teach her instinct?'

M: "Simple, just tell Messer to be his cold hearted self, beat her up continuously on training mission, and keep criticizing her at every point."

Johnson: "but what if she doesn't improve, this isn't exactly the normal way, we might even break her."

M: "Ernie, you're a Zentradi, right? That method is the normal way for Zentradi, and we had it much tougher, we just got thrown out battle, and if we got killed, well, back then, the battle field is the only training ground we had. And a little constructive criticism better not break her, she has my genes, I damn well didn't break the first time Max shot me down, and he was using live ammo. With Messer, all she'll get is harsh language and a bunch of paint pellets."

M: "As for Messer, just keep an eye on him, and send me the data on his condition as needed. We can always pull him if we have to, I can send one of my other son in laws out there to replace him.... hmmm, where is that Gamlin."