1/72 Pilot and Crew Figures

EXO

So I decided to start this thread as a response to the demand on figures for 1/72 kits. I was going to start a poll but I thought I should let people give me an idea which figures are most wanted for now. Just remember that obscure choices are less likely to happen because molds are going to be made to get the most figures made out of them. Think about what the community would want to see most. I'm already aware of seated pilots made for Hasegawa VF-1 cockpits and of course these will be unpainted.

Here's the ones I did for the Lancer II kit that I made previously. (left one is not mine, just there for comparison)

post-151-0-94736400-1464883662_thumb.png

I'd be interested in some pilots. I have a game color version vf-19 and an old vf-11 that need some pilots.

I also wouldn't mind pilots for my 1/55's. I know these aren't meant for that, but I'm forgiving with a lot that goes into the 1/55's.

Yes! The pilots and especially female ones will be made. We need to represent those brave women of the UN Spacy!

Excellent!

Destroids pilots would be great too.

We've seen one (...ok, in Robotech, BUT...), it looks a little different from Valks pilots.

I think dividing DYRL & TV sets makes sense. Maybe 3/2 m/f ratio? Other figs of interest would be tv pilots with open visors, non pilot spacesuit figs (sexy Misa edition), pilots from other eras like M3, M7 or The Ride.

Deck crew and pilots with other arms. As in a salute to the crew chief, thumbs up to the catapult firer, that sort of thing. The hands on the stick pose is pretty static and boring.

Hi Cowie, there's a rule against unauthorized recasting in the forums. The only time we allow it is when there's a piece that continuously breaks from a toy and that's because the manufacturer is not allowed to support fans outside of Japan. But we also protect kit makers in or out of the forums as best we can.

I'm trying to think of the best way to group these sets. I don't like selling them individually because A. it's cost more to sell just one piece. B. It's a pain to ask the recaster to fill a mold and just to sell one piece. C. We get stuck with a bunch of pieces that a few people ask for but at the end no one wants.

I'm also thinking separate TV and DYRL sets. One set, all male and one set mixed (male and female)... because i know more people will want predominantly male pilots.

I would probably add the the thumbs up pilot to the ground crew set because that's more of a diorama piece and some people display their valks in flight... that would look weird.

I would probably add the the thumbs up pilot to the ground crew set because that's more of a diorama piece and some people display their valks in flight... that would look weird.

As one who almost EXCLUSIVELY builds aircraft/Valk's gear-up, I wouldn't mind!

It would be nice to be able to display a two-ship where it looks like the pilots are actively flying/communicating, instead of sitting like Gargoyles in their seats, supremely focused on their instruments...

that said, I do plan on doing a couple on the ground, so I'm likely going to pick up a ground-crew set or two anyways...

One can never have enough good 1/72 flight-crew/ground-crew!!

As far as planning out your sets, how many pilots are you thinking per set?

Male/Female mix does not matter to me, as this is supposed to be the future, where women who can hack being a combat pilot get to be one, just like the men who can hack it.

If you're doing 10 pilots per set, I don't think you'd have any trouble mixing in 3 or 4 females.

As one who almost EXCLUSIVELY builds aircraft/Valk's gear-up, I wouldn't mind!

It would be nice to be able to display a two-ship where it looks like the pilots are actively flying/communicating, instead of sitting like Gargoyles in their seats, supremely focused on their instruments...

that said, I do plan on doing a couple on the ground, so I'm likely going to pick up a ground-crew set or two anyways...

One can never have enough good 1/72 flight-crew/ground-crew!!

As far as planning out your sets, how many pilots are you thinking per set?

Male/Female mix does not matter to me, as this is supposed to be the future, where women who can hack being a combat pilot get to be one, just like the men who can hack it.

If you're doing 10 pilots per set, I don't think you'd have any trouble mixing in 3 or 4 females.

Agree, a banked over fighter doing a flyby wave isn't weird at all

I'd love to have a 1/72 seated pilot preforming a salute.

Or if I'm dreaming I'd really like to have a pilot climbing out of their cockpit, possibly with a ladder or something. I never build my hase kits with the open canopy but, would be tempted if I could make a pre-battle/hangar scene.

post-13376-0-74743500-1465085728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rock

how about one with a polaroid camera, and one "Keeping up foreign relations"? :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Exactly!

Hi Cowie, there's a rule against unauthorized recasting in the forums. The only time we allow it is when there's a piece that continuously breaks from a toy and that's because the manufacturer is not allowed to support fans outside of Japan. But we also protect kit makers in or out of the forums as best we can.

No worries! Just to be clear the offer was for pictures, not to make molds - I thought pics might help with inspiration or design. I'm not a sculptor so don't know if that's useful or not. :)

Or if you prefer it with sound..

http://i.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2016/AkZFLn.mp4

Lol... I think that'll have to many undercuts for recasting...

I forgot to address the the 1/48 question... I think there won't me enough demand for 1/48 because the kits come with pilots and also there's ground crews available in scale also. but the good news is this will be digital files so I can rescale it for people that really want it. Bad news is it costs more since there's less demand. I've already tried to solicit it in the past.

I'm thinking it's going to be 5 figures each. Two sitting pilots and two standing and one ground crew person. One set will be a mix of male/female. And one will be all male.

And then two sets of ground crew support. One on deck and one hangar type... I think that's the best way to seperate it.

The hands on the stick pose is pretty static and boring.

Agreed, but it would great to have some more with the center joystick / left hand throttle position from the TV cockpit. However, I would also like a pilot with one arm reaching out to touch the console in front of him. Maybe right hand on joystick and left hand pushing a button on the console. Both for single pilots and for the rear guy in a two-seater. Thanks, EXO!

My Rear Seaters are posed with both hands forward on the carrier deck scene ready for Cat launch holding two handles on the sides of the console.

As a side note... how hard is it to sculpt/design 1/72 figures running? I need figures streaming out of apartments and running away down a street while some Valks and a Regult duke it out and I cant find a single one anywhere on the net, not through architect sites or model rail!

Edited by NZEOD

• 2 weeks later...

yeah... its a nightmare at that scale with the spindly arms on the Hasegawa figures!

IMG_20160404_222843_zpsnttd6cu0.jpgIMG_20160404_222911_zpsu0oyjw6l.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

lol... tiny little signs are extra.

Like I mentioned in the first post, I can only provide the figures that most people would want. Unfortunately that'll be the more standard figures. I can't really do custom figures because by the time the people hear how much it costs for them to pay for custom figs they realize that it's way too much to even think about commisioning. Especially at the scale they are in, no one would pay for a sculpt of a whole entire body and getting a tiny small tiny piece of urethane plastic... getting it 3D printed is even more.

Sorry guys I'm just looking for the most basic ideas and I think that I pretty much have it. Some of this stuff has been modeled previously for other sets, that's why I'm willing to do it, but I'll make sure to put together some new ones to make the sets more interesting. I'm also trying to avoid figures that are included in other 1/72 figure sets that can be obtained easier and for less money. There's 1/72 Hasegawa crew men that would be less than the cost of my sets will be.

For people that want 1/48s. I can probably arrange to get them 3D printed. Again. 3D printing is more especially at a larger scale.

pretty sure nearly everyone is after an arm saluting/waving

Wait, so EXO is gonna include signs with pilots? Awesome!

ahh... no... but we can do the signs ourselves easy enough. That one was a test piece printed up on plain A4 paper. the final ones smaller again.

In the cockpit? Like I said, I'll include either that or a figure with the thumbs up with one of the ground crew sets. It won't make sense to have it with the pilot sets because usually people display them in flight. But with a ground crew set, it'll make sense because it's right before take off.

The problem with having so many random figures is I get stuck with a bunch of figures that I don't want. Right now I have stuff for sale in a different forum and there's 6 sets and there's 2.5 set that don't move.

want us to buy that stuff for you to help out? I understand the hassles involved. I was just dreaming out loud.

So when you say you'll include that in a ground crew set, do you mean as a pilot saluting the crew chief/cat launcher? or do you mean a member of the ground crew saluting the pilot?