Certain as the sun

Rising in the east

Tale as old as time

Song as old as rhyme

Beauty and the Beast

Following the success of Cinderella and The Jungle Book, Disney will give their 1991 animated classic Beauty and the Beast the live-action treatment in 2017. The film is directed by Bill Condon (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Parts 1-2, Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh) and features the following cast:

• Emma Watson (Hermione in Harry Potter) as Belle
  • Dan Stevens (Ian Katz in The Fifth Estate, Lancelot in Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb) as the Beast
  • Luke Evans (Dracula Untold, Bard in The Hobbit) as Gaston
  • Kevin Kline (still banging Phoebe Cates after three decades) as Maurice
  • Josh Gad (Olaf in Frozen, Chuck in The Angry Birds Movie) as LeFou
  • Ewan McGregor (Mark Renton in Trainspotting 1-2, Lincoln Six Echo in The Island) as Lumiere
  • Emma Thompson (Professor Sybil in Harry Potter, Agent O in Men in Black III) as Mrs. Potts
  • Ian McKellen (Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings, Erik/Magneto in X-Men) as Cogsworth
  • Stanley Tucci (Joshua Joyce in Transformers: Age of Extinction, Caesar in The Hunger Games) as Cadenza
  • Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Famulus in Jupiter Ascending) as Babette
  • Audra McDonald (Dr. Bennett in Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy) as the Wardrobe

The film is set for release on May 17, 2017.

Beauty and the Beast @ IMDb

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Seeing the trailers for this I'm reminded of something disturbing from the original 1991 film. So the enchantress at the begining curses the Beast and casts a spell over the castle turning all the servants into inanimate objects right? Remember the room in the castle that held the rose where everything else was destroyed, smashed, or defaced?

How many of his servants do you think he killed in a fit of rage?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's only a Fairy Tale movie, sir. Prince so rude. Got punished and cursed. Meet a beautiful maiden. Falls in love. Maiden saves Prince from the curse. Lives happily after. ^_^

I should've put that in spoiler tags. :lol:

On 1/11/2017 at 11:45 PM, Phobos said:

Definite pass. I always found the beastiality aspect of this story more than a little disturbing.

To be fair, in the original Disney animated film she saw the Prince's painting and recognized him by his eyes, so she might have put together that he was a human cursed in some way.  The live action trailers have shown a similar painting, though there is a greater age difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm skeptical about the live-action version being able to capture the magic of the original. The characters were so exaggerated that cartoon proportions were necessary to really sell them, whereas human actors filling the same roles with the same (or very similar) dialogue will seem hammy and over-acted. I don't doubt Disney can pull it off, but I would find it a daunting task to try and reproduce the same film rather than making a new adaptation - especially with the strong nostalgia this particular movie carries.

It comes out around my wife's birthday though, so I don't have much of a choice about seeing it in the theater. I will give it a fair shot though - the original was a big hit and the studio has to know they need to do it justice.

4 hours ago, Dio said:

It comes out around my wife's birthday though, so I don't have much of a choice about seeing it in the theater. I will give it a fair shot though - the original was a big hit and the studio has to know they need to do it justice.

Geez. Sir, don't give it a fair shot nor say you don't have a choice. Just enjoy the movie with your wife. It's going to be her birthday as you mentioned it. Don't ruin it by being skeptical. It's just a 1.5-2 hour movie. Enjoy! ^_^ 

Edited by no3Ljm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2017 at 1:10 PM, TangledThorns said:

Disney should add more natural elements to their live action films. It's jarring to see a 18 or 17th century setting look so clean,  probably because its all filmed on a studio lot.

I'll probably still see it but I'm not expecting a great film.

Simply because they're aiming it for kids.

Went to see it in IMAX 2D today.  Those who liked the original are most likely going to like this one.  A couple of minor additions to the story along with a couple of minor changes.  Belle's mother is discussed as well as the Beast's family - those are good additions since they add some backstory and give motivation to some actions.  The only clunker for us was the Beast had a new song in this version and it wasn't all that good.  Not to end on a bad note, the show is good entertainment and the imagery is outstanding.

Saw it yesterday; well done translation from the animation to live action. I found all the songs, new inclusions as well as old, to be relevant to the story. One thing this movie has in spades is talent, and the actors all seemed to relish in their roles. I haven't seen Kevin Kline in anything for some time, so it was nice to see him on the big screen again. Emma Watson did a fine job as Belle, and I agree with a previous observation that she has a pleasant singing voice. Honestly, I prefer the singing in this film over the original, excepting Angela Lansbury's "Beauty and the Beast", although Emma Thompson did a fine job singing it as well. Overall, good film.

Saw it just today, and what a great movie! Emma Watson was incredible and her singing is just lovely. Her interactions with Kline, and Kline all on his own, were touching, and the added scenes of her mother really brought out more of the FEELZ. I thought the Beast was good, but I was struggling a couple of times to 'see' him in the scene, as sometimes CG overcame suspended reality. Despite that though, I really felt his presence, more so as the Beast though then as the Prince.

When the animated movie came out I seem to recall some unintentional humor when the Prince was revealed at the end, and I think they managed to get that too...

Anyway, well worth seeing it on the big screen. I'll be getting a copy for the home theater!