1/72 Valkyrie "Angel Birds" Squadron

Goodman Models

Looks great! I have a couple of these planned, and I was just thinking about asking about this scheme yesterday. How did it work out using all the included decals for the large areas like around the intakes? I was wondering if it would be better to paint some of those sections (since Hasegawa provides the matching paint colors in their instructions), but I was concerned that the color and finish might not match between decals and paint. I want to model the squadron's VF-1D, and I'm sure I'll need to use paint for that project, since the kit's decals won't match the longer D nose section.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

Thanks for the kind words! It's won a first and a second at two shows! The decals went really well with a lot of softener...then they didn't! And I was half way. I mixed paint according to the instructions and airbrushed the rest. It turned out pretty close and is hard to see the difference. If I were to do it again, I would mask and paint all of it!

Edited by Goodman Models

Thanks for the feedback on the decals - that's good to know. I may use the trick of xeroxing the decal sheet to cut patterns for masking.

By the way, I liked how you picked #5 with the inverted tail number! I hadn't noticed that in the instructions until now.

Here's my first completed Macross subject! I did add some ground crew since these shots.

Really liking that reloader next to the gunpod! Hook up an external power supply car to the gun pod, fit up a feed tray between the cart and the gun and its like the real way we reload belt. Have a couple of guys, one next to the feed tray watching for fouling as it entered the weapon magazine and the other next to the cart ready to cut the power on a jam and its perfect!

This is 1/72 scale? Where did you find the Ammo belt?

That attachment point on the gunpod is only for the model, its meant to be the trigger grip.

DSC_0397+gunpod.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

Looks great. Love the addition of the ground crew. Im curious - is the numeral on the tail fin supposed to be upside down? I assume its the number "5"?

Mintox, the instructions refer to the #5 aircraft as the "Lead Solo" (I think that's what it says - don't have my kits handy) and depicts the number as inverted in the instructions and decal sheet:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10183098

I'm guessing that's a tradition in some aerial demonstration teams. Neat idea.

Very nice!

I'm loving that Reloader and ammo-belt as well. did it come from a kit? or did you scratch it?

The Lead solo plane flies upside down to the rest of the team in certain maneuvers so all the the unit numbers are right side up!

USAF Thunderbirds #5 is lead solo, and in this pic you can see his #5 [it's on the intake] is right-side up during the "Calypso Pass"

I don't know if anyone makes a kit of the UALS used by the USAF for loading ammunition into the aircraft. It would be nice if they did. Pay no attention to the AIM-9 in the foreground.

UALS (ammunition loader)

just have crew members carrying ordnance on their shoulders like the Carrier Ordnance techs have too...lol

6fc7bacf8144c8de6e1d819b0c05f1f4.jpg

And a random but useful bit of training material... 47 pages of the Navy's Deck Crew Dress, Duties Conduct and Hand Signals manual

http://navybmr.com/study%20material/14353a/14353A_ch3.pdf

Edited by NZEOD

The navy loads all their air to air ordanace by hand including the AIM-120's. The USAF loads AIM-9's by hand but uses a jammer for loading the 120. Here is a pic of the UALS used by the A-10. This would probably be the influence used in making one for the VF-1 considering the GU-11 fires 55mm rounds. But I haven't seen a UALS diorama kit anywhere on the internet.

dragon A-10 UALS

Excellent work man! I haven't built any kits for years ( since I was AD AF we never had anywhere for me to build them except when I was stationed at Edwards). Got a closet full of kits I need to build (once the oldest one moves out I will have my own room again for building) including some VF's. Nice work finding the 1/48 Dragon NZEOD. I haven't had the time to really look myself in depth on line.

My main question is what's an aerial display squadron plane doing with a fully loaded gunpod?

The VF-1 Master File SDF Squadrons book shows several planes from the Angel Birds squadron being recovered after the fold to Pluto and then shows some of them armed flying in formation with the SDFM in space. Kind of a cool idea that they would become combat aircraft once the war kicked off. Some day, I'd like to model one fully equipped with fast packs and missiles for the final battle.

My main question is what's an aerial display squadron plane doing with a fully loaded gunpod?

agreed