Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1D LowVis Skull Squadron

Mintox

I was going to do a VT in low vis vis colours but have decided to do my VF-1D instead in these colours, mainly because I'm pissed Hasegawa didnt do a 1/48 version of this in which case I would have done it in the orange and off-white scheme. Anyways I managed to get the paint scheme and colours from a very helpful website. I'll follow the old Hasegawa 1/72 low vis kit paint scheme:

post-30595-0-43360900-1464441125_thumb.jpg

post-30595-0-98218900-1465171087_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintox

:) me too...

looking forward to this as well...

i never build any Macross before so need to learn the trick..

Yeah I'm going to add AMM-1 missiles to it. Should look mean.

Thanks for posting the pic of the paint scheme; that has actually helped me out (and will continue to do so!) with my VF-1S project!

Meantime, I really looking forward to seeing your VF-1D in paint with the missiles. Makes me wonder if UN SPACY would sometimes use a modified VF-1D in SPace War 1, with the pilot worrying about the flying and the co-pilot doing all the missile and radar work.

Just a thought...

Thanks for posting the pic of the paint scheme; that has actually helped me out (and will continue to do so!) with my VF-1S project!

Meantime, I really looking forward to seeing your VF-1D in paint with the missiles. Makes me wonder if UN SPACY would sometimes use a modified VF-1D in SPace War 1, with the pilot worrying about the flying and the co-pilot doing all the missile and radar work.

Just a thought..

Thats my thoughts exactly. I was only going to load her up with AMM's (fighter to figter missiles?) but then thought maybe fighter to ship missiles might work better in the context of dual control like the F14's. Here is the colour call outs I fogot to post:

post-30595-0-29900800-1465171066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintox

• 2 weeks later...

More progress shots. All parts are now ready to be primed and painted.

sorry for asking as i never build any Macross kit before :wacko:

i noticed that you're going to paint them separately.. is this the way to build these Macross kits?

as i used to build normal aircraft, but i never paint them separately.

any issue when putting them together after painting?

i saw that most Macross build paint the parts separately, and got me curious before i attempt to build mine

Its easier to mask off the parts for some of the more fiddly panel lines and stripes. The gunpods are usually a different colour from the rest of the plane as well

Edited by NZEOD

sorry for asking as i never build any Macross kit before :wacko:

i noticed that you're going to paint them separately.. is this the way to build these Macross kits?

as i used to build normal aircraft, but i never paint them separately.

any issue when putting them together after painting?

i saw that most Macross build paint the parts separately, and got me curious before i attempt to build mine

I would normally paint my aircraft in the same way as you mention but with the VF's because the arms and legs etc are separate and articulated on the (supposed) real thing, when fitted to the main body there are gaps, sizeable gaps that would be hard to get paint into so I leave them off. The trick is to mask those areas you need to apply paint to or scrap the paint off so the glue can penetrate to the plastic.

Quick update. Base colour done. Anti glare and vertical stabilisers done. I've decided to do Green Skull colours on this but they'll be restricted to the very tops of the vertical stabilisers and the forward part of the stabiliser fins on the legs. I've also painted the gun pod and AAM-1 missiles in white with a few drops of H338 to take the 'white' out of it.

post-30595-0-93461000-1466929527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintox

That looks excellent! I wasn't sure what to think of the white gun pod when I saw it in the Hasegawa low viz kit instructions, but I like how yours looks. Can't wait to see it finished!

I'm with you on this one. I stood there at my workbench in two minds and thought if it doenst look good I'll just spray it another colour. As it turns out I think it'll work in white, especially once the decals go on and its dirtied up a bit.

Starting the decaling now. The gun in white with the black letters for some reason reminds me of the UN vehicles and with their white and black markings.

post-30595-0-82882600-1467556061_thumb.jpg

post-30595-0-12464000-1467556070_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintox

I was not sold on the White gunpod [think of the poor grease-monkey who has to clean that fighter!!]... dat weathering tho...,

Looks pretty sweet Mintox!

More progress shots. Finished all of the pin washes. I've got a few small items to paint like the wheels and pin wash the AAM-1 missiles and then its onto some weathering with pastels and then its done.

post-30595-0-76481300-1468131021_thumb.jpg

That looks fantastic! I really like the look of the D, I think because it reminds me of the 2-seat F-14. I really like how this scheme looks on the D. I hope I can start working on one here shortly. The scheme I want to do will be similar in color, but a different pattern.

A side question for you all - did Hasegawa come up with the idea for the vertical stabilizers to hinge in the middle as they fold down? I think it makes sense to create a compact folded arrangement, but it looks like the official design shows them folding flat on each other like most models:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1a-valkyrie/vf-1-transformation1.gif

It really doesn't make a difference in the end, but I noticed the horizontal hinge lines on this model's tail that are nicely highlighted.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

That one shown in the line art is physically impossible to achieve. Notice how much longer the rear flat of the tail section is once its shown folded in that last frame? The artists have taken some liberties to show it folded I think.

That looks fantastic! I really like the look of the D, I think because it reminds me of the 2-seat F-14. I really like how this scheme looks on the D. I hope I can start working on one here shortly. The scheme I want to do will be similar in color, but a different pattern.

A side question for you all - did Hasegawa come up with the idea for the vertical stabilizers to hinge in the middle as they fold down? I think it makes sense to create a compact folded arrangement, but it looks like the official design shows them folding flat on each other like most models:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1a-valkyrie/vf-1-transformation1.gif

It really doesn't make a difference in the end, but I noticed the horizontal hinge lines on this model's tail that are nicely highlighted.

That one shown in the line art is physically impossible to achieve. Notice how much longer the rear flat of the tail section is once its shown folded in that last frame? The artists have taken some liberties to show it folded I think.

If you try and fold the 1/48 fins they will actually sit flat. Look carefully at the placement of the hinge lines on the stabilisers. One side is actually higher up than the other allowing it to actually fold down and the other side to fold over it. The 1/72 kit lacks this same detail, its fold lines are the same both sides.

One other difference to the 1/48 kit that I really like on the 1/72 kit is on the right side (kit turned onto its back) there is a long door that looks like a refuelling arm in its stowed position. This is missing on the 1/48 kit and I cant find any reference to it in line art. Anyone else notice that?

Mintox, what gray did you use?

Mr Hobby H308 as called out for in the 1/72 low vis kit they did years ago. I sprayed it all over with H308 then went back over it with a mix 90/10 of 308 and 1 (white) in the centre of the panels. I could of gone to town on this weathering using different greys and using the salt method to weather it but I'll reserve that level of detail for a 1/48 version I'll do later.

I may have missed this, but what did you do to "correct" the droop leg syndrome of the smaller Hasegawa kits? It looks like yours are aligned beautifully.

Looking wonderful, by the way!

I adjusted the angle of the gap in the parts J4 and J10, as an example, and used some plastic shims to wedge into the gap to push it straight once it is pushed into parts G1 and G5 (or G8 and G4). I did toy with trying to adjust part Q1 but that seem a little trickier to do as I still needed to widen the gaps in parts J4 & J10. Looks good huh? I dont know what possessed Hasegawa to cock it up.

Edited by Mintox

I started a VF-1D thread years ago here and did something similar. Or at least I think I did...

My guess,they tried to align the top of the leg parallel to the ground. It looks wonky as anything that way, so I'm totally with you there. What where they thinking?

I started a VF-1D thread years ago here and did something similar. Or at least I think I did...

My guess,they tried to align the top of the leg parallel to the ground. It looks wonky as anything that way, so I'm totally with you there. What where they thinking?

Yeah I think thats what they were trying to do but again they didnt do it on the 1/48 so WTF! Anyway it does look way better. Another weird thing with the 1/72 kits because of the miss-alignment of the legs the rear landing legs are actually splayed outwards with the axle at about a 20% offset to the vertical to compensate for the angle of the leg. I'll post a photo as I know I'm not describing this well :-)

Detailing the cockpit. I've added some seat straps and ejection pull chord otherwise the cockpit is pretty stock.

post-30595-0-83084400-1468250529_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintox