Mission 9: Uncontrolled Limit  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Grim Reaper episode!!!!!!!!)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (So Mr. Buzzkill has space cooties. Ewww.)

I get the feeling Messer is finally going to have to be put down and it'll be by Hayate. That will drive him to fly harder to make up for Messer's absence (Hayate has already marveled at what a good pilot he is) because he feels compelled to fill that role.

After this ep I have a doubt that Lady M is Mylene. I mean the fact that Lady M knew about Messer's condition and allowed it to be kept hidden for data just doesnt seem very Mylene-like at all. I wouldn't put it past Myung tho and it could also very well be Mirage's own mother Miranda, but I've got a feeling Lady M is 85% going to be a new character I almost guarantee it.

Hell from the Jenuis family alone it could be

* Mylene - I just dont think she's capable of making that call with Messer unless she grew up to be something very different from what we've seen of her

* Millia - She what, 80? would be pretty cool though

* Miracle

* Muse

* Miranda - Any one of the Jenuis daughters especially Mirage's mother would be cool to see animated.

* Moaramia - Even the adopted one.

* Max - Hell, even Max

then we got

* Myung - Probably the most likely IMO

* Mina Forte - Mina would actually be pretty awesome and it would give us a more solid connection to the origins of the VF-31 with her being friends with the YF-30's test pilot and designer

and very unlikely it could be

* Misa

* Minmay

Am I missing anybody?

Am I missing anybody?

Miho Miho who was last seen in Macross VF-X as bridge operator of Vahalla III. Which was involved with the UN Spacy's Sound Project that utilized discoveries made by Macross 7 for a Musical Tactical Unit, Milky Dolls.

Out of curiosity, why Myung? Much as I'd like to see her again, I don't remember her doing anything with fold resonance or spritia. She broke Sharon Apple's hold over Isamu, but I figured that was simply because he recognized her voice and her song, and that was sufficient.

Did spiritia play ANY part in Plus, come to think of it?

Out of curiosity, why Myung? Much as I'd like to see her again, I don't remember her doing anything with fold resonance or spritia. She broke Sharon Apple's hold over Isamu, but I figured that was simply because he recognized her voice and her song, and that was sufficient.

Well it wasn't a science yet in Plus. Going by Macross Chronicle Space-Time Resonance ability users or now called Fold Receptors among humanity is few due to Protoculture interference.

and about ruin water, ragna ruin is under water, does that mean entire ragna could be in trouble? we dont know how many apples they already consume right?

The big question with this, though, is that water that the ruins are in freshwater or seawater, and does it make a difference?

I say myung because she has experience directing and managing things and seems like the type of person who can make that call with Messer and it would be pretty funny for Isamu to be part of the SMS and Myung part of or possibly the head of Chaos.

If not her it's most likely a Jenius girl since Jenius's tend to appear along side each other Max and Millia, Mylene and Emilia, and since Mirage is in delta I wouldn't put it past them to make another Jenius appear later on in the series or future OVA's .

The big question with this, though, is that water that the ruins are in freshwater or seawater, and does it make a difference?

Well you gotta drink it so I would assume fresh water unless the special bicarbonate or what ever can't get get filtered out at a filtration system .

The Music continues to be the weakest part of this series. At least the love triangle is starting to pick up steam. Every single episode so far feels as if a couple of minutes were cut out. The pace is moving way too fast. I do wish the valk scenes would stop being so repetitive. There is no longer any sense of danger. It's quite surprising that they haven't develop an antibiotics to combat the Vars. I'm starting to lean towards that Lady M might possibly be Mao.

The Music continues to be the weakest part of this series. At least the love triangle is starting to pick up steam. Every single episode so far feels as if a couple of minutes were cut out. The pace is moving way too fast. I do wish the valk scenes would stop being so repetitive. There is no longer any sense of danger. It's quite surprising that they haven't develop an antibiotics to combat the Vars. I'm starting to lean towards that Lady M might possibly be Mao.

I may be remembering wrongly, but isn't Mao dead already?

I may be remembering wrongly, but isn't Mao dead already?

I believe she is presumed dead. I know that its a long shot that she is even still alive but she the most logical choice considering that she is an expert in the field protoculture and the V type infection.

So, totally random thought, what if a Windermeran has both his runes (does they have one or two) cut off?

Then what distinguishes him as Windermeran?

Could it be possible that Hayate is such, or may be some kind of half breed?

I assume it would just grow back. If you look at Master Herman, it looks as if he shaved his rune and its just what looks like a orange highlight on the left side of now.

Guest davidwhangchoi

what if lady m is lynn minmay

i don't get how the var is affecting messer, there was no wind song this time....

Edited by davidwhangchoi

what if lady m is lynn minmay

i don't get how the var is affecting messer, there was no wind song this time....

Wind song seems to only be the initial trigger, afterwards victims react to aggressive tendencies.

Wind song seems to only be the initial trigger, afterwards victims react to aggressive tendencies.

messer symptomp seem triggered when he ready for battle.

perhaps at first var intended to make soldiers fearless + stronger when goes to war. but it seems hard to control it. so they goes berserk

So, totally random thought, what if a Windermeran has both his runes (does they have one or two) cut off?

Then what distinguishes him as Windermeran?

Could it be possible that Hayate is such, or may be some kind of half breed?

Legend has it they still got a couple of runes dangling south of the equator. :p

Hmm, Messer is seeming like even more of a Guld expy. In 0.89 he had the whole high-speed-mode missile evasion sequence (a pretty obvious shout-out), then the Var episodes and flashbacks, and hanging on to a single song from Kaname as his sentimental good luck charm...

Definitely an "at risk" character, narratively speaking, but we have seen that trope inverted in recent series. Guld also lacked a Freyja, so the ingredients are different this time.

Hey next time why don't they just trying chasing after the Aerial Knight when they retreat? Better yet why doesn't their ship fire some of those guns as they retreat and be done with it?

I was rather surprised at how close the Knights got to the Elysion without triggering any sort of defensive attack from the ship beyond Delta platoon. No ground to air missiles, no destroids, no nothing. Maybe the Knights were too far away to justify countermeasures but I expected the Elysion to do something, anything more.

I wonder if they noticed the twin snooping around the ruins. Back in SDFM days the bridge was aware of every little penetration of airspace for what seemed like miles from the ship. I figure protoculture ruins would be a high priority asset worth protecting or at least monitoring, unless ruins are so common and inactive that they're generally ignored by the natives.

I was rather surprised at how close the Knights got to the Elysion without triggering any sort of defensive attack from the ship beyond Delta platoon. No ground to air missiles, no destroids, no nothing. Maybe the Knights were too far away to justify countermeasures but I expected the Elysion to do something, anything more.

I wonder if they noticed the twin snooping around the ruins. Back in SDFM days the bridge was aware of every little penetration of airspace for what seemed like miles from the ship. I figure protoculture ruins would be a high priority asset worth protecting or at least monitoring, unless ruins are so common and inactive that they're generally ignored by the natives.

Back in the SDFM days they didn't have to worry about small capable fighters folding in past defenses. Although there was that moment when we were introduced to Kamjin for the first time when we came out of Fold Space right next to Britai's fleet without warning. I think the Knights are pulling off something similar to what Max did in 7 during the attack on the Protodevlin's "homeworld" or what Isamu did with much better hacking and stealth tech at their disposal.

Positive. The episode surprised me in a few ways and they neatly got out of the "how do they make his Var a problem" trap that I mentioned.

They make his Var a problem because he is WAY TOO MANLY to go talk to the Captain. Installing a live projector of Kaname (or Mikumo) into his cockpit would have avoided the entire sequence when he nearly got killed, but for that he would have to open up to Arad or the Green Lantern, sorry, Green Captain. Totally believable, and also a known thing in anime/manga (this same "man does it all himself" thing apparently undoes the mission of the protagonist in Tezuka's Adolf). I wonder what's the right TVTropes entry for this one!

The surprises were:

- Messer/Kaname. I was half expecting Messer/Mikumo in this episode, seing the obvious parallel between them. But no.

- The Main Triangle finally starting... as a fake-out! (Though it does give us clear indication that at least one-sided Freyja/Hayate attraction exists).

- The Knights doing a decoy attack - that one was nice and finally shows them as having some brain. Too many of their previous actions appeared either futile or way too show-off-ish to succeed. Here, however, they got excellent tactics, with the show-off-ish stuff working to mask the Real Mission. Wonder if that same stuff was happening before.

Also some nice points:

- Knights finally being Knightly - as in NOT attacking any civilian targets despite having a clear shot. (But this might be a reputation thing, especially if they intend to occopy Ragna)

- A Kaname song - now all five Walkure members have songs

- Fold receptor capability of Hayate's - nice crossover between "pilot" and "singer" roles. I do wonder if someone will have an idea about getting Hayate to sing. Oh, and it would be fun to hear him cover Seventh Moon or something (as the only major source of "male" lyrics in Macross-world is Fire Bomber)

Some eyebrow raisers:

- How come Messer did NOT get killed while disabled by the Var? Was he so capable he could dodge attacks of his equal (though not counterattack) even at the peak of the Var?

- Agree with some previous posters - why no ground-to-air attack on the Knights? Especially after they tried missiles at Elysion so this was no longer some sort of "keeping it to the fighters". Does the Elysion not have some heavy guns even without that carrier?

The Elysion was punching out AAA worthy of the SDF-1, the Blitz, or Night 1 of Desert Storm, but much like those examples, the stuff is useless until the plot demands it. It got silly with the battle over Vordor, since there was tons of background AAA going up for only a few Delta fighters. (Jamming?)

But much like the rest of you, I remain curious about the city shell area not having any gun emplacements or Destroids around.

This should probably be part of episode 8, but I was just thinking:

The planet Voldor, and perhaps their liberators (I'm assuming they were liberated) NUNS should have a captured, albeit damaged/ legless Drakken, courtesy of Bogue.

Bogue didn't seem to have destroyed the aircraft after walking out from it. If this is true, we'll have the in-world assessment of the capabilities of the Drakken soon.

Edited by BlueMax

This should probably be part of episode 8, but I was just thinking:

The planet Voldor, and perhaps their liberators (I'm assuming they were liberated) NUNS should have a captured, albeit damaged/ legless Drakken, courtesy of Bogue.

Bogue didn't seem to have destroyed the aircraft after walking out from it. If this is true, we'll have the in-world assessment of the capabilities of the Drakken soon.

There was a hole in Voldor's air defense due to Walkure singing and the ruins amping it. What happened later is a tug between them and Heinz until Freyja sang.

So it is likely a small portion of Voldor NUNS was freed like Larzabal. Which could serve as a resistance force.