The Third Party Gundam Thread

4 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Injection molding is good, but it's so damn expensive to get the molds made (I think last thing I looked into was ~50k for molds).

I looked into getting "pans" made for an intake manifold I have. 18x15x3 or so. It was going to be 25K for the mold. Not too bad considering it was Nylon 6/6 GF30 which isn't exactly cheap. My problem with this application is that I don't know anything about durability. And no one has FEA models for positive displacement superchargers.  So I either get the mold done and knock a few units out to test. Or just go into production and cross my fingers 5yrs down the road they don't fall apart. I went with no injection molding. Too bad. The part would have been much better and WAY less expensive to produce if it were injection molded.

3 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I looked into getting "pans" made for an intake manifold I have. 18x15x3 or so. It was going to be 25K for the mold. Not too bad considering it was Nylon 6/6 GF30 which isn't exactly cheap. My problem with this application is that I don't know anything about durability. And no one has FEA models for positive displacement superchargers.  So I either get the mold done and knock a few units out to test. Or just go into production and cross my fingers 5yrs down the road they don't fall apart. I went with no injection molding. Too bad. The part would have been much better and WAY less expensive to produce if it were injection molded.

In my case it was radiation shielding, so only needed minimum thickness rather than mechanical strength.

Still a pain to draft up injection molded designs since you need to keep pull direction and draft angles in mind, not to mention material shrinkage and maximum thicknesses. Plus things like gate locations and sizes.

22 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Still a pain to draft up injection molded designs since you need to keep pull direction and draft angles in mind, not to mention material shrinkage and maximum thicknesses. Plus things like gate locations and sizes.

Lucky me I have a good connection. The company does all of the stuff for Ford Performance (GT350, GT500, Raptor, etc). My BF is a project head at Ford Performance. He got me hooked up and they were going to draft the mold design as part of the 25K. Because yeah, I would not be capable of drawing that correctly first shot out. Too many variables I have no experience with. 

So update Going on week 7 for some of my orders. 

The rep from ShowZ initially offered a refund. But I think he didnt realize that it would be north of $750 dollars. 

He seems to be back tracking with me now. He responded with an email that 2 out of the 6 have been "STUCK" even tho its listed as shipped and left china he confirmed it hasnt and doesnt know where it is. But  I told him the other 4 have been in the same status since the outbreak happened and still shows shanghi. Ugh 

I Fhawking knew this would be fhawking painful! And it seems I will need to take the nuclear option and go through Paypal. 

FHAWK! 

The other thing is, if this virus doesnt kill most of humanity which based on trends and current data outside of the bullshit media is trying to hide this thing aint slowing down. Pretty much China is done like dinner. Video upon video and the telegram group im a part of shows the extreme treatment of the communist party to its citzens, now South Korea and Italy. I pull the trigger with Paypal and by any chance this gets under control, my relationship im assuming with ShowZ is dead. However even if they are able to pull a rabbit out of the hat they will not be able to get production lines and shipping for a month or two at which point there goes your time limit with Paypal....so your fhawked with only one option and I could use that money to gear up for the apocalypse 

Edited by slaginpit

Nuke everything. Sell everything you own and shack up in an undisclosed location in the middle of nowhere. Cut yourself off from society completely. Trust no one, assume everyone is already dead. Destroy all forms of identification and anything they can use to track you. Don't go outside, make no attempt to contact anyone. 

Edited by anime52k8

4 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Nuke everything. Sell everything you own and shack up in an undisclosed location in the middle of nowhere. Cut yourself off from society completely. Trust no one, assume everyone is already dead. Destroy all forms of identification and anything they can use to track you. Don't go outside, make no attempt to contact anyone. 

laugh but i may have the last laugh...coof coof

I'm late to the party but my Steel Legends Kshatriya and HongLaJiao Sinanju from Show.z arrived the other day.  It took a little over a month for me.

Kshatriya was missing the orange belts around the waist.  Bit of a bummer but I'm hoping that Show.z can help me out on that.

Sinanju survived with no major faults thankfully.  I'm not sure if it was confirmed before but it takes 9 times LR626 (AG4) batteries for the backpack and thrusters.  A23 batteries for the base.  Glue is definitely needed to assemble the hands.

They're both beautiful :wub: 

Steel Legend NZ-666 Kshatriya

HongLaJiao MSN-06S Sinanju

26 minutes ago, sumyumgoy said:

I'm late to the party but my Steel Legends Kshatriya and HongLaJiao Sinanju from Show.z arrived the other day.  It took a little over a month for me.

Kshatriya was missing the orange belts around the waist.  Bit of a bummer but I'm hoping that Show.z can help me out on that.

Sinanju survived with no major faults thankfully.  I'm not sure if it was confirmed before but it takes 9 times LR626 (AG4) batteries for the backpack and thrusters.  A23 batteries for the base.  Glue is definitely needed to assemble the hands.

They're both beautiful :wub: 

Steel Legend NZ-666 Kshatriya

HongLaJiao MSN-06S Sinanju

Glad you like them and that they arrived safe @sumyumgoy. I'm a fan myself of both, but the Sin is more like a very solid model. 

Edited by Alphahorizon

Don't get me wrong, that's not too mean I don't like it. I just question the design intention of it when they were at the drawing board.

Maybe they didn't have enough financial resources to make it fully similar to something like poison toys or metal bear. Maybe if this one sells good enough the next one that comes out from a Moby little better.

Small things like complete hands

23 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Don't get me wrong, that's not too mean I don't like it. I just question the design intention of it when they were at the drawing board.

Maybe they didn't have enough financial resources to make it fully similar to something like poison toys or metal bear. Maybe if this one sells good enough the next one that comes out from a Moby little better.

Small things like complete hands

Their previous release, the Dragon King Barbatos, had better packaging but I always felt the figure itself didn’t have the same quality as it’s contemporaries but even that was much better quality wise. 

8 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

I'd totally buy sinanju if it wasn't for fear of breakage in transit from how's packed by the producer. 

I agree with @Alphahorizon.  It's definitely a coin toss, there are quite a bit of pointy bits that can break easily.  Mine came with a few paint chips along the edges of some parts.  Hopefully they can come up with better packaging for a second release.

6 hours ago, slaginpit said:

when did you get the sinanju?

I received mine this past Wednesday.

Mine had a broken bazooka handle.

Given how they package this, it is pure luck that not more parts are borken.

I have requested help from Show.z and they seems to be willing to try to request replacement from the producer. Given the situation over there, it will be a long long wait. But hopefully they will eventually send me a good bazooka.

Meanwhile, my pined fix seems to looks ok.

59 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

20200226_101414.thumb.jpg.6ffd0dc64d83d1a8b6d1ea48455d80ba.jpg20200226_101615.thumb.jpg.c6aa3d717c3c844c99e1dcd45fdb61f0.jpg

A nice surprise was waiting for me when I got back from some errands today! The 1/72 Poison Toys Hurricane. Seriously, these are toys I can actually play with. Heavy as all heck to.

The cannon from the Poison Toys Launcher Striker pack can also be used with the "Hurricane" as a 3rd weapon. and it can mount on its backpack.

1 minute ago, JakCrow said:

The cannon from the Poison Toys Launcher Striker pack can also be used with the "Hurricane" as a 3rd weapon. and it can mount on its backpack.

Once those arrive I will have a go with it on the hurricane. Both Cannon and sword are on order. Thanks for the intel

Edited by Alphahorizon

1 hour ago, Alphahorizon said:

A nice surprise was waiting for me when I got back from some errands today! The 1/72 Poison Toys Hurricane. Seriously, these are toys I can actually play with. Heavy as all heck to.

Yeah. those 1/72 are fun heavy toys..    I see you like to leave the fake reactive armor on along with the feet covers to make his feet bigger.   I guess the large cannon is not big and long enough. hahahahah :lol:

1 hour ago, Alphahorizon said:

20200226_101414.thumb.jpg.6ffd0dc64d83d1a8b6d1ea48455d80ba.jpg20200226_101615.thumb.jpg.c6aa3d717c3c844c99e1dcd45fdb61f0.jpg

Looks like it's time to un-box mine!

4 hours ago, Alphahorizon said:

Do you like keeping all those extra plastic pieces on your hurricane? I noticed you removed the head cover that disguises it as a gundam but didn’t remove anything else. The shoulder, body, knee caps and feet are all easily removable. 

2 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

Do you like keeping all those extra plastic pieces on your hurricane? I noticed you removed the head cover that disguises it as a gundam but didn’t remove anything else. The shoulder, body, knee caps and feet are all easily removable. 

Im still a little torn as to whether I will keep them on or not.  I like the chunkyness of the added armor, but the head was a no go.

@sumyumgoythanks bud!Its a great piece.

3 hours ago, HG Blows said:

So, I received my 3P MB Freedom version 2.0 from Show Z about a week ago, but I haven't opened it due to all this corona hysteria.  Anyone else have this feel?

I can't find the straight story. I've seen that it can't live on packages to it lives for 9 days. I've been taking my packages out in the garage and spraying them down with de-natured alcohol. And then letting them sit for 9 days.

I've told my postal carrier about it too.

Could be a complete over reaction. But it's an easy over reaction.

Lesson learned. Don't put valuables on high shelves when you have a cat that likes adventure.

Kshatriya along with Kempfer took a heavy fall. BUT...wait for it....wait for it...Next to NO damage. One of the rear thrusters for the Kampfer did break at the point where you plug it into the main body. But an easy enough fix. Drilled out the broken pieces on both sides. Now I just need a metal pin to glue into one end that fits snug.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:40 AM, Alphahorizon said:

Lesson learned. Don't put valuables on high shelves when you have a cat that likes adventure.

Kshatriya along with Kempfer took a heavy fall. BUT...wait for it....wait for it...Next to NO damage. One of the rear thrusters for the Kampfer did break at the point where you plug it into the main body. But an easy enough fix. Drilled out the broken pieces on both sides. Now I just need a metal pin to glue into one end that fits snug.

That is a close call. Luckily no non fixable damages. I need to learn from your lesson. My 3 metal build toys are not "very secured". Need to change that tonight.

I have no cat, but two young children. Very risky to not factor in unforeseen accident. 

On 3/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, kkx said:

That is a close call. Luckily no non fixable damages. I need to learn from your lesson. My 3 metal build toys are not "very secured". Need to change that tonight.

I have no cat, but two young children. Very risky to not factor in unforeseen accident. 

Thankfully my kids are now old enough where they dont pose nearly as much risk as they did when they were younger.

• 2 weeks later...