Aoshima VFG

TMBounty_Hunter

This the biggets I have from HLJ so far. Hi metal on top for scale.

IMG-20240118-WA0000.jpg.500b776d81c2703c01bf7519f23f354f.jpg

It only contained my DX Mazinger Z 50th anniversary.

Edited by Froy

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a good few of these now, and while I've built some of the figures, the primary reason was to get a few valks in HMR scale, since the sizes are just about perfect (I think something like 1/85 scale or so).  I'm currently tackling a couple of the VF-31s and plan to consolidate boxes since they're so bulky, and all the parts come on tons of sprues.

One thing that always strikes me about these kits is that the color breakdowns for various versions are so sloppy, for lack of a better term.  They make all of these kits in so many colors, but when it comes time to release new ones, they only need one or two parts in a different color.. so they just say "sprue it" and throw an entire extra sprue in the box.

Some of them come with so many extra parts, you can almost build a second fighter mode just from the spares.  The orange and tan Kairos is probably the most excessive for this.  I know it's not like they're wasting plastic (in theory), but it definitely inflates the costs of the kits when they have that many extra bits.

Once I get the parts clipped off for the Monster kits, I'll probably be moving all of the actual kits and figures into one of those boxes for storage, and just fill the other with the spares. :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

So I've continued my spree of builds (and box condensing, because yeesh), and threw together one of the VB-6 kits tonight.  Pretty good size, but smaller than the Robot Spirits version, so it's less of a match to the HMRs than that version.  Feels good in the hand, and very swooshable in shuttle mode though.  I think it actually holds together a little better than the Bandai, though being lighter helps there.  It's still a hefty kit though, lots of very dense plastic construction in the legs and body.  Design looks closer to the original lineart than the variations made for the Frontier version, with more of the original layered nose shape.

ss(2024-02-18at09_15.12).jpg.461909b6613ea74fe5bddbfde901b9fb.jpgss(2024-02-18at09_15.40).jpg.9f03d9f922b5b0c7f14f82c369f307f3.jpg

This one's an oddball, in a couple of good ways.  First, unlike every other VFG kit that requires a ton of parts-swapping and alternate builds to make the various modes, this one is very close to being a perfect transformation kit.  You pretty much just remove the motorcycle-style seat cushion to free up the hinges to achieve the standard Monster gerwalk.  Otherwise, the transformation has one part to swap: just the cockpit/head for going to destroid mode.  

There are two additional parts that aren't required, but I was impressed that they included them, because they actually achieve something Bandai didn't even try with their Robot Spirits version: they actually gave the shuttle retractable landing pads.

ss(2024-02-18at09_16.04).jpg.4154b6e34850b78b4846cf61dbac6efb.jpg

They're nothing particularly special, and they have to be removed for transformation so they don't snap off, but the shuttle has two fold-out pads that pop out near the hip joints, and work as landing supports.  There's also a third stationary skid in the back.. so it's kind of a half-done job.  But still.  It's something the previous VB-6 attempts haven't done.

I didn't try transformation to destroid, but going to gerwalk was simple enough.  Lots of hinges and posability in the arms, and they weren't too heavy to stay up.  I think my only real complaints are that the back section where the figure would sit looks weird (not to mention the motorcycle-style handlebars that remain), and that the cannons feel pretty undersized.  I know why they are, but the shuttle is definitely the best mode here.

ss(2024-02-18at09_16.54).jpg.2ff047a8af1e2b6e1fc92d552155dde5.jpgss(2024-02-18at09_16.33).jpg.85a38c4240914e9667cace3a1adb86af.jpg

Being perfectly honest, I only really bought these for the shuttle mode.  I do find it funny how capable a transforming kit it is though, and it feels like it has better flexibility than the Bandai version, probably from the number of multi-directional joints in the legs.

The build is pretty complex though, especially in the legs, and there are a couple of easy ways to mix up the parts for the hip joints, meaning you might have to take things apart and rebuild them to make sure they line up.  I also actually needed some clamps to get the thing together, because the main hip joints were so tight.  No amount of finger pressure was going to get those pegs into the sockets.  Imagine my frustration when I discovered that the pieces that took the clamps were the ones I assembled the wrong way... :rolleyes:  It wasn't as bad as I first thought though, and the really difficult socket didn't need to be pulled apart, just twisted the other way and reassembled with the parts on the opposite side.

Altogether a fun little build, in an absolutely massive box.  I could probably melt down the trees and make another kit. :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, so they actually shrunk them quite a bit.  I hope that doesn't have any adverse effects on their structural integrity, since while not exactly fragile, the hinge pins are sometimes pretty easy to snap off (especially the ones in the feet).

It looks like they're molding them in multiple colors now as well.  Impressive all around.  ^_^ 

The VF-31A will be my first VFG that I'm building.  Too bad there aren't extra parts to make Battroid mode but I'll enjoy Fighter and Gerwalk.

• 3 weeks later...