Mission 6: Decision Overload  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (So many choices: #TeamMirage #TeamFreyja #TeamMakiMaki #TeamSpicyJellyfishchips #TeamUmiNeko)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (#TeamBuzzkill)

I think it can be mounted underneath. Here's another pic looking at it from another angle. Yes? The real question is did Mirage have a similar loadout? I could never get a good view of that area on her particular valk, so it's possible I suppose. I didn't think Hayate had the gunpod. Where does it go when in battriod mode if it's not being held in it's hand?

Edit: also I don't think the bottom gunpod is the same as one that would be mounted on the weapons rack on top. From googling pics it looks like the bottom mounted gunpod is smaller then one that would go on top. I don't know, maybe it's the same one.

vlcsnap-2016-05-10-00h32m17s319_zpsjtp2t

There's a pic at taghobby showing the gunpod underneath.

http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-2/tomytec-2016年8月發售-技mix-series-mcr10-1144《macross-delta》vf-31j-siegfriedhayate-immelman機-fighter-mode-4000yen/

If you rewatch the part in episode 4 where Arad and Messer deploy theirs, you can clearly see that, when the rear weapons rack is stowed, the gunpod ends up in that same position, pointing forward.

EDIT: Here's a shot from that episode

IpLyw9p.jpg

And here's a shot where Mirage is shooting it.

EO5Z0Sq.jpg

As you can see, the markings seem to line up as well.

Also, from episode 6, you can see that when they deploy the sound boosters, the gunpod stays behind. You can just barely see it in this pic.

niF7SaO.jpg

I think it's safe to assume then that everyone, except Chuck, has this same loadout.

Edited by d3v

It's definitely the same beamgunpod as mounted on the standard pod. All the details are exactly the same.

So the questions now are:

1) When they are using the projection pod in the deployed position, how exactly does the beamgunpod attach to the bottom of fighter mode?

2) when using the deployed projection pod and transforming to Battroid or Gerwalk mode, where is the beamgunpod stowed if not handheld?

Maybe it can only be handheld when in Battroid and Gerwalk modes if the projection pod is mounted. But perhaps not all members of Delta chose to use it?

Graham

post-11-0-58835500-1462860117_thumb.jpg

I think it can be mounted underneath. Here's another pic looking at it from another angle. Yes?

Sorry. It's either an animation mistake or she picked it up on her way back to the asteroids. I stepped through all of Delta's sequences. That image you have of Arad's 31S also has the same mistake. The gunpod is missing in the launch sequence, it's there in that sequence and when he goes dual knife on that 171, it's gone. Not mounted on the arm, not on the back, just gone.

Sorry. It's either an animation mistake or she picked it up on her way back to the asteroids. I stepped through all of Delta's sequences. That image you have of Arad's 31S also has the same mistake. The gunpod is missing in the launch sequence, it's there in that sequence and when he goes dual knife on that 171, it's gone. Not mounted on the arm, not on the back, just gone.

It's there, at least in this shot.

WHa12Vz.jpg

Only Chuck's didn't had it. And maybe Hayate's because we don't see him with one in the hangar, but since the armor parts were added after that specific shot, maybe it attaches to the armor parts instead when using that specific loadout with the projection pack.

EDIT: After the armor parts are added, the next shot shows that there might be something under there, but it's a bit hard to see since the catapult is in the way.

ruBNU4Q.jpg

Edited by d3v

As for the phantom gunpod, you guys are looking for it while I'm still trying to figure out where the VF-171 in that episode of Frontier got its gunpod, since the -171's legs are far too thin to store it in there like the -17 does.

I've also been re-watching action sequences at 60% speed since Frontier because it's the only way I can make sense out of the action. They seriously need to slow it down a bit. Yes, I know it's supposed to be flashy and cool, but if you can't tell what's happening on screen then what's the point.

Though another benefit of 60% speed is it makes everybody sound like yakuza.

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode a lot and even though I was a little iffy at the start, I'm pretty much fully invested now. So glad we're getting more action than we did in Frontier.

Also...

27 also did not use Ex-Gear

I just checked both Frontier movies, and Brera's -27 appears to have Ex-Gear. I can provide screenshots if you want 'em.

As for the phantom gunpod, you guys are looking for it while I'm still trying to figure out where the VF-171 in that episode of Frontier got its gunpod, since the -171's legs are far too thin to store it in there like the -17 does.

I think that the legs of the 171 aren't thinner in a "these are thinner than the 17" sense. Rather, they're thinner in the "we can't do anime magic anymore" and that those are the new proportions of both the 171 and 17's legs.

I think that the legs of the 171 aren't thinner in a "these are thinner than the 17" sense. Rather, they're thinner in the "we can't do anime magic anymore" and that those are the new proportions of both the 171 and 17's legs.

That's probably the case, but either way, there's no way the gunpod's fitting in there.

I just now carefully analyzed the scene from Ep14 of Frontier, frame-by-frame back and forth with as much zoom as I could get out of my local copy, and that gunpod is still a mystery. It's actually in the -171's hand as it transforms.

The only possibility I can see is that it was somehow hand-carrying it in fighter mode. It does appear we can see the fist exposed when in fighter, but the camera angle doesn't give us much to work with.

Sorry for going off topic.

PS, if you guys want a real slow GIF of that scene, I can make that happen

Too long ago, can't remember episode 14 of Frontier, but VF-171s store their gunpod externally on the underside of the VF like the VF-1, not internally in the leg like the VF-17

It's not on the belly either. First you see of it is appearing from up top in the hand already.

But this is too off topic. I'll make a GIF later.

Too long ago, can't remember episode 14 of Frontier, but VF-171s store their gunpod externally on the underside of the VF like the VF-1, not internally in the leg like the VF-17

Wasn't that only for the toy?

http://anymoon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Bandai-DX-171-7.jpg

I've checked the episode and they're not ventrally mounted in frontier. As Product9 states, Machida's 171 already has one in its hand when the arm swings out from behind the wings.

Edited by d3v

Wasn't that only for the toy?

http://anymoon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Bandai-DX-171-7.jpg

I've checked the episode and they're not ventrally mounted in frontier. As Product9 states, Machida's 171 already has one in its hand when the arm swings out from behind the wings.

Here's a GIF I made

http://i.imgur.com/Q9m3pQ7.gif

I made it pretty slow so you can experience the magic

Also, note the other -171s don't have gpods. Guess there was only so much magic to go around.

Edited by Product9

Best episode so far,ties up everything from previous episodes.

The only thing I feel lacking is the song, doesn't integrate well with the action.

the sound booster folds like origami when stored...

Not sure about Hayahaya the only one in Delta with holographic helmet

Yeah I wasn't feeling this particular song either. Oh well, I guess they can't all be hits.

I think I get what's going on. Mirage is inspiring Hayate to become a better soldier and Hayate is teaching Mirage how to loosen up. How much do you want to bet there will be an episode where Hayate teaches her to dance and by the end of the series she'll be at Jenius level piloting?

Not sure about Hayahaya the only one in Delta with holographic helmet

Hayate isn't wearing a helmet at all. That's the whole point behind his modified EX-Gear. His Gear's helmet has the added mouth piece to seal him in.

And when they're no happy, there's the danger of them starting to insinuate themselves into the production more, which as we all know, does wonders to a show someone is trying to make...

I wonder if the identity of Lady M is dependent on the ratings. Like they may be intending to have it be one certain character, but if the sponsors aren't happy with the ratings then they'll demand she's somehow Sheryl to get some Frontier audience boost.

Everyone should have been pretty sure that Delta wouldn't reach Frontier levels of sales/ratings from the outset. Even if it was the only show of interest this season. The conditions were just ripe for Frontier. These days there are more shows and fandom is more compartmentalized than before. Plus this season's line up also happens to be uncommonly strong, IMO.

On the Mysterious Mirage Beampod: Seems pretty clear that the pod CAN be mounted along with the soundbooster. It's pretty inconspicuous down there since it's about the same color as the underbelly. It seems likely it has the option of being on the container or just underneath.

That's just the cover story. They're looking for something among the ruins on each planet.

Likely. As I mentioned a few episodes ago, the Windermerans may not have know what the hell these artifacts truly were until the UN showed up. When the UN showed up, everything changed for them.

I don't think Roid cares whether people live or die. He seems more interested in the device.

The planet was already snow covered before the UN arrived. The crater was likely a self-inflicted incident. I'm thinking of Windermere being a ticking time-bomb. Maybe whatever they blew up the plug to the well. Now that power is leaking and will make a bad mix with the fold fault surrounding the planet.

It is beginning to look like their declaration is a cover story.

If they didn't know what they are dealing with it may be a situation where they detonated a weapon they didn't fully understand and the residual consequences are now out of their control. This may be a case where the PC "created" the fold faults around the world to protect the "devices" they created (AFOS anyone) and the detonation of one of the devices is setting off a chain reaction of sorts. The invasions are an attempt to learn a way to stop the chain reaction and their pride will not allow them to ask the NUNG for help.

Humanity has a better grasp on PC tech than other PC children so far. Perhaps the NUNG exploitation was less about economics and more about the artifacts found on Windemere.. It is entirely possible this is one of the PC "Outpost" worlds after the PD war, mentioned in M7

Edited by Zinjo

I think I get what's going on. Mirage is inspiring Hayate to become a better soldier and Hayate is teaching Mirage how to loosen up. How much do you want to bet there will be an episode where Hayate teaches her to dance and by the end of the series she'll be at Jenius level piloting?

I live in hope :)

I was actually kinda worried about the whole Mirage/Hayate angle because up until now Mirage felt like a fifth wheel in her own triangle. They had the personality potential to be a thing, but there was no real connection between the characters that wasn't forced by virtue of the circumstances or the plot. But now its clear Mirage and Hayate are starting to work with each other and integrating on a much more personal level. Finally there's something there to challenge what was growing between Freyja and Hayate for most of the series.

I still think she got it from the destroyed VF-31A, off-screen. It literally appears out of nowhere from one scene to the next.

PS---Lady M? I currently vote Mylene. Who else who would have the interest/pull to create "Sound Force 2.0"? (and have an M-name)

Mylene also worked with Jamming Birds once, which is the earliest 'proper' Tactical Sound Unit (even though it was kind of a failure, but it is pretty much impossible to outshine Sound Force).

I lost track after Ep3 for a couple of weeks. Watched ep4 yesterday, 5-6 today.

#TeamMakiReina and they seem to be getting "official". I hope Kawamori would slip a word in somewhere that yes, they are. Up to ep6 I was thinking "okay we'll do without fanservice-y interaction", then came the face-and-breasts touches, so now we have that too. Not a kiss, but we did not get any kiss at all so far.

Re main triangle I'll go with #TeamFreyja , which seems to be absent in this thread so far, mainly because I don't think it's time for Mirage to "settle down". She is a soldier and she and Hayate seem to be working increasingly well as a tactical pair and I'd leave it at that without bringing more into the mix. Freyja, on the other hand, is working as a tactical pair with Mikumo (possibly displacing Kaname, but Kaname does not seem to mind). I don't think Mikumo/Freyja is in any way realistic (if she gets into Windermerian kids at all I'd say it would be Prince Heinz). So I would propose that both Freyja and Hayate keep their tactical pairing separate from their romantic pairing. (That, and let's mock the F...rontier out of shipping wars).

I still think Mikumo is headed for the pineapple salad. Possibly she and Messer might have a grand exit together, perhaps with Heinz too? But before she is out I really want to know WHAT she is. In ep4, under rocket fire with no force field drones, the others went down at her order - and she stood up. This is not reckless "kill me now" bravery, no, she is not like that. So she seems to be relying on some abilities here.

I do find the Knights are getting somewhat less two-dimensional. The next episode will probably tell us more.

My only disappointment so far is that the "idols are forbidden from dating" thing does not seem to be played at all. Perhaps it was removed from this world. There were two mentions of dating so far, though both might have been mere jokes. (Plus, Mikumo seems to be pushing Freyja towards Hayate, but that's probably pragmatic).

Edited by Saruta

I still think Mikumo is headed for the pineapple salad. Possibly she and Messer might have a grand exit together, perhaps with Heinz too? But before she is out I really want to know WHAT she is. In ep4, under rocket fire with no force field drones, the others went down at her order - and she stood up. This is not reckless "kill me now" bravery, no, she is not like that. So she seems to be relying on some abilities here.

What?? You can't kill off Lady "M" unitl we know her secrets. Messer? I agree, but I think he'll succumb to the Var and his pal will have to put him down, if not that then he'll fall to the White Knight...

Loved this episode! Go #TeamMirage!

Though.... >_>

Is that her Sweet Sixteen present? :p

Loved this episode! Go #TeamMirage!

Though.... >_>

There is also a Bogue version XD, If I remember right this image is based in another from other anime but I don't remember which anime,. still I saw both versions in 4chan (original and Freyja) XD

Loved the episode. The VF-31 feels more rounded compared to the Messiah, visually as well as dramatically. The '25 always just seemed to be just *there* with no other purpose than to be the latest plane. Here I think we get the impression that the Seigfried is customized specifically for what our heroes are meant to be doing, which endears it to us in the audience.

And who is Lady M? Assuming they're teasing an existing Macross character, I agree that Mylene would be the best choice. She'd be 36 and still smokin' hot, if her mom's genes have anything to say about it, plus thematically she has a rational stake in operating a Sound Force esque team to save the galaxy. Second up would be Miria (who in her late 60s would ALSO still be smokin' hot, I'm sure) or slightly more likely one of her kids. Thematically I think it would be great to explore the notion that Mirage is there because of her family ties over being a genuine Jenius, as if THAT weren't pressure enough.

But who else could it be? Not likely Myung, she'd be the sort of producer to pull this sort of thing off but I doubt they'd mine Macross Plus for any sort of storyline, despite it including things like song-induced mind control. Minmei? Naw, SK has pretty consistently said that her story is over (thus likely precluding Misa as well). And of course Mao has apparently left our mortal coil behind.

Of course, this whole thing could be SK's latest red herring and it's a completely new character who gets introduced Green Ranger style to kick butt halfway through the series. Or, we just see a one-second scene as at the end of Frontier where it's revealed that the WHOLE THING was orchestrated by one zealous otaku.

Mark

Edited by tout-puissant