1/48 Hasegawa VF-1A/S Strike vs. Club M 1/48 Ultimate Detail VF-1 Stri

Aye Aye

Hi, I am long time lurker on these forums, but rarely interject anything to any topic. Thanks for taking the time here.

I haven't paid much attention to the Macross model game since the original Hasegawa kits in the late 90s/early 2000s that I missed the news that they made a 1/48 VF-1 strike kit a couple years back. Anyways, I ordered that kit, the option PE parts, and the weapon pack.

I am also debating on finally picking up a Club M 1/48 VF-1 kit, but am curious as to the amount of work that this kit would present compared to the Hasegawa kit. By amount of work, I realize the level of detail this kit has, which is why I want to build it - that's the point. My question really is around the resin, as in the amount of effort in pinning, etc. this kit would require to hold together. My work with resin kits has been mainly with gunpla-wish kits, so I am use to this kind of stuff, I just want to know what I am getting myself into with this bad boy, to gauge time commitment, parts, etc.

Also I am sure there are many folks that feel that the Club M became irrelevant, to a certain extent, upon the release of the Hasegawa kit. I wanted to get the thoughts of some of you that have experience with both kits and weigh the pros/cons of owning both, owning one, or kit bashing each of them. One of the goofy things too that I love about the Club M is the pilot figure too...like the cherry on top.

Sorry for the meandering topic, but help is appreciated. Regardless of what route I go with, I promise to share pics too! Thanks!

If you can get one, do it. I've got both the Hasegawa 1/48 strike and an Ultimate Detail, and I'll be building both. What's nice about the UD is that you can build it half disassembled to show off all the inner goods, on the fighter, leg armor, and Super Packs. I don't think any pinning is necessary, since it's an airplane kit, and the landing assemblies are all metal.

I probably wouldn't kit-bash them, since the cheapest I've seen an original UD go for is around ¥25000. Bit of an expensive buy for just detail parts.

The Club-M is quite an investment and is also a kit over 15-16 years old. Plus, it's hella hard to find an official one (only 600 or so were ever made afaik)

I have the recasts that were made by hobbyfan with PE parts and decals that were made way back in the day and it looked like such a challenging build i's been sitting in my storage for nearly 1.5 decades lol.

I do, however, have the 1/48 Hase and I would argue it's even easier to build the 1/48 than the 1/72 Hase VF-1 O_o

If you can get one, do it. I've got both the Hasegawa 1/48 strike and an Ultimate Detail, and I'll be building both. What's nice about the UD is that you can build it half disassembled to show off all the inner goods, on the fighter, leg armor, and Super Packs. I don't think any pinning is necessary, since it's an airplane kit, and the landing assemblies are all metal.

I probably wouldn't kit-bash them, since the cheapest I've seen an original UD go for is around ¥25000. Bit of an expensive buy for just detail parts.

I can sort of envision this: basically you can build the Hasegawa, potentially in flight, while having the UD kit built out, stripped down in all of its glorious details. Would make for a pretty amazing display. I would have no issue buying it for 25k JPY. I think, as you stated, locating one that is an original is the tough part. I wonder if there are any MW members having this stuck in perma-backlog would let it part (not so subtle hint).

The Club-M is quite an investment and is also a kit over 15-16 years old. Plus, it's hella hard to find an official one (only 600 or so were ever made afaik)

I have the recasts that were made by hobbyfan with PE parts and decals that were made way back in the day and it looked like such a challenging build i's been sitting in my storage for nearly 1.5 decades lol.

I do, however, have the 1/48 Hase and I would argue it's even easier to build the 1/48 than the 1/72 Hase VF-1 O_o

The recasts are an interesting thought as well. I am not sure which version of the recast, if that is all I could find for a relatively decent price, would be a "safe" buy. I mean I wouldn't want to end up with a kit that would be missing the goodies from the original, or have any issues with the resin itself (warping, execessive flash, etc.). Is there a list of which recasts were done, as well as ways to spot between the original Club M vs. a recast being passed off as the real deal?

That is great to know the Hase 1/48 is a good build. I mean in general, I like working with the larger scale, it makes masking so much easier, plus looks awesome when you wrap it up.

Edited by Aye Aye

Is Club M an "official" brand in the same vein as B-Club, or is it just another third-party resin/garage hobbyist?

Club M is an official, licensed maker of garage kits. They've released a bunch of Macross stuff, and I seem to have most of it! They also paired up with Yellow Submarine on a few kits, as well.

I can sort of envision this: basically you can build the Hasegawa, potentially in flight, while having the UD kit built out, stripped down in all of its glorious details.

That's what I'm planning on doing. The Hasegawa on Mike's launch arm, the UD torn down for maintenance.

Cool, I was looking at his build post earlier and did not know he actually is selling this as a kit. That is fantastic. I need to find myself a UD...there's a dude on eBay selling it for $660 right now...

I wish that there were pilot figure options like the one on the UD to swap out, to customize any kit...add a bit more personality rather than just being colored yellow, red, blue...

$660 is a good price.. I sold my Club-M UD last year for a little more than that.. think $700USD.

Needed the money.. but I have a couple of Hasegawa 1/48s to fill the spot.. albeit with a little less detail.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to begin cranking out the Hasegawa here first, and see if I have the spirit to tackle the Club-M. I finally got the option set and photo etch set, so it's all here. The thing of it is I have a huge Gundam backlog right not as well, and was planning to tackle the PG 00 or the PG red frame next. Still deciding which ones to work on first. If I do the 00 that will be at a six month project, so taking on the VF-1 Strike should be about half that, so thinking that might be what I do.