Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 5 - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 5: Moonlight Dancing  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (It's a supernatural delight Everybody's dancin' in the moonlight)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Needs more cats)

So... is Scarfish now Hayate's canon rival? I'm entirely okay with this.

I love how Mikumo just gives no craps. "Oh, by the way Freyja, everyone thinks you're a spy. But I'm not supposed to tell you that. Hey, boss, I think she knows we suspect her."

And Messer chose EXACTLY the wrong words if he was trying to bully Hayate into resigning. He has either zero grasp of Hayate's personality, or likes him more than he lets on.

Something about the way Frejya is animated throughout the series seems weird to me. I can't place my finger on what it is though. It's just her character and no one else.

She has a very, ummm, loose adherence to her character model. Her expressions routinely punch all semblance of facial structure in the face harder than Star Pro ever did. I still can't decide if it is endearing or annoying, but that overexpressiveness definitely fits her character well.

Also: Is there ROOM in the cockpit for that arms-extended fist-flailing thing? It is fun as heck to watch, but I can't help thinking she oughta be pounding the crap out of something.

Edited by JB0

Also: Is there ROOM in the cockpit for that arms-extended fist-flailing thing? It is fun as heck to watch, but I can't help thinking she oughta be pounding the crap out of something.

Probably safe to assume that the backseater position in the 31s are mostly devoid of any equipment save for a monitor. From what we've seen, anything in the back is mostly done through holographic interfaces (e.g. Reina in episode 1).

Probably safe to assume that the backseater position in the 31s are mostly devoid of any equipment save for a monitor. From what we've seen, anything in the back is mostly done through holographic interfaces (e.g. Reina in episode 1).

Ah, right. I'm thinkin' too twentieth-century with physical consoles.

In that case... party on, Freyja.

giphy.gif

I love that she sets the window display on fire for no other reason other than to be creepy.

Yeah. I really thought she was going somewhere, like she was about to bring up some other display. But no, she just wanted to eff with everybody.

What I'm wondering about is why nobody just pointed out that Hayate was wearing a fold quartz pendant. I mean, the moment he said that he heard the Var song, someone should have just pointed that out to him.

Yeah. I really thought she was going somewhere, like she was about to bring up some other display. But no, she just wanted to eff with everybody.

Maybe she really is Dr. Chiba's brain in a new, female idol body. Edited by d3v

Maybe people saw the pendant and thought "No, that's silly. No one would just WEAR fold quartz, it costs way too much to be used as jewelry."

And Dr. Chiba would never let anyone put him in the body of an idol... that didn't look like Minmay.

Just wondering why Hayate turned the AC hotter?

There was no mention in the subtitles by either character of the cockpit being cold.

Actually, he increased the fan power while lowering the temperature. Probably to simulate feeling the wind in their faces, similar to what Sharon did to Isamu's YF-19 in Plus.

YyfDMYa.gif

Edited by d3v

I always assumed pilot comfort (heat/cold) was handled by the flight suit? Any experts care to elaborate. I really want to know.

Then again it was mentioned that Hayate's valk was modified so that he wasn't required to wear a helmet. Maybe the A/C system is part of those mods.

And Messer chose EXACTLY the wrong words if he was trying to bully Hayate into resigning. He has either zero grasp of Hayate's personality, or likes him more than he lets on.

Pretty sure it's his hardass way of caring. Either need to motivate him to shape up or get him to leave so he doesn't die.

She's also really tiny. Not that they aren't playing fast and loose with the dimensions a bit.

I always assumed pilot comfort (heat/cold) was handled by the flight suit? Any experts care to elaborate. I really want to know.

Then again it was mentioned that Hayate's valk was modified so that he wasn't required to wear a helmet. Maybe the A/C system is part of those mods.

We previously saw the A/C system on Isamu's YF-19 in Macross Plus, so it's safe to assume that these are standard in all valks. I mean, not everyone flies with flight suits. Basara was in nothing but a tank top and jeans in some episodes of Macross 7.

Pretty sure it's his hardass way of caring. Either need to motivate him to shape up or get him to leave so he doesn't die.

She's also really tiny. Not that they aren't playing fast and loose with the dimensions a bit.

I think someone from the Macross Speaker Podcast mentioned that cockpit dimensions (or rather dimensions inside a structure) are usually two times the size they would be in reality and that Kawamori was proud that he was able to reduce the inside of the VF-1 cockpit to 1.5 times the actual size. So the inside of the VF-31 is probably bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. ;)

No. Messer knew exactly what to say to Hayate and neither was he trying to bully him. He was imposing discipline and straightening him out because he knows Hayate's personality which is an irresponsible and rebellious fool. No one but Messer stepped up to put Hayate in his place. If he didn't do what he did Hayate would be a liability to Delta Platoon and get someone killed if he continued with his antics.

Edited by Windrider

Note that Hayate basically got chewed out a little. There wasn't even any form of NJP against him!

Note that Hayate basically got chewed out a little. There wasn't even any form of NJP against him!

They're technically civilian contractors so they're likely not subject to the same regulations as formal military. And Hayate himself had yet to sign the new contract.

Most likely, for something like that (outside of the new contract) he's most likely to get a mark on his file while having the fuel docked from his pay.

I figure Messer is having trouble adapting to an environment that's not as strict as what he's used to back in the military. He probably has too much respect for Arad (even though he's part of the reason, since he seems to be pretty relaxed in terms of running his team) to take it out on him so he's projecting it on Hayate instead.

I think in some ways, Frontier already did a fairly decent job of showing the disadvantages of culture. Well, at least in terms of how Grace was able to manipulate both Ranka and Sheryl for her own needs. But this is different in that there is a different faction in the open doing this work. I wonder if there will be some weird conspiracy along the way, I actually hope not, but that would add intrigue to the situation. Now that the war is on, hopefully there will be snippets of details of other actions, unlike Frontier, where the action was surrounding the ship, in Delta, there are multiple fixed locations. And there is opportunity to show a more expansive macross universe.

Finally, what's with Mirage's ears? Did she have them surgically altered or was her father a blood elf?

i think in Macross Frontier the writing was much more about technological pitfalls than it ever was cultural (except for how those technological elements were defeated). Grace was scientifically motivated, not culturally. In contrast, the Windereans seem very much about ideology and winnign a cultural war as much as it is a military conflict. Roid doesn't even seem that interested in conventional warfare at all, though its clear he's prepared for it. While there may be a technological aspect to the Var syndrome in Macross Delta ('dem apples, lol), at least initallly it's written much more like a cultural/ideological war and is being fought as such.

I think it Mirage's character design for the ears may just be a stylistic choice on part of the character artists/animators, but there is the possibility she may have genetic traits from beings other than just Zentradi. It's still early and little trivia is being released, but maybe we'll see something.

There's at least one stick in the back. See right side of attached screen shot).

If it follows the VF-25 cockpit (which it obviously does), then there's a full set of controls in the back seat. Recall Sheryl's attempt to fly that VF-25G.

IIRC, in Japanese culture, the husband sometimes takes the wife's last name if the latter is from a prominent family who's name holds power. Surely the Jenius family would count enough that anyone marrying one of Max and Milia's daughters would instead marry into their family and take on their name.

Elf-like ears have been a trait of those with Zentraedi heritage since at least DYRL. It's just become more prominent from Frontier onwards.

Especially since it episode 5 it looks like they retconned in the ears on Milia; though the scene is a-la SDFM.

i think in Macross Frontier the writing was much more about technological pitfalls than it ever was cultural (except for how those technological elements were defeated). Grace was scientifically motivated, not culturally. In contrast, the Windereans seem very much about ideology and winnign a cultural war as much as it is a military conflict. Roid doesn't even seem that interested in conventional warfare at all, though its clear he's prepared for it. While there may be a technological aspect to the Var syndrome in Macross Delta ('dem apples, lol), at least initallly it's written much more like a cultural/ideological war and is being fought as such.

I think it Mirage's character design for the ears may just be a stylistic choice on part of the character artists/animators, but there is the possibility she may have genetic traits from beings other than just Zentradi. It's still early and little trivia is being released, but maybe we'll see something.

I wonder if it's because contact was made with Winderemere when they already had a well established, medieval or even renaissance level civilization, whereas contact with Ragna (and Zola) was made when their civilizations were less established.

Especially since it episode 5 it looks like they retconned in the ears on Milia; though the scene is a-la SDFM.

Milia had pointy ears in DYRL as well.

BCP9zIV.gif

As I stated earlier, Zentraedi have had pointy ears since then. Look closely at Guld and Mylene and you'll notice that they have them too.

While it seems apples are the only export Windermere leading to a trade imbalance, I assume, I wonder if the events of Macross Frontier has affected them economically.

Luca said whoever has the monopoly on Fold Quartz rules the galaxy. It could be with Protoculture ruins having Fold Quartz Windermrere is expecting a massive windfall making them an economical and political power house in the NUN. Ouroboros while having Fold Quartz in its ruins can be unaccessible for years.

Then Frontier receives a planet full Fold Quartz given by the Vajra. Either they have a monopoly on Fold Quartz flooding the market or the NUN restricts Fold Quartz trade as it is so weaponize.

Goodbye Windermere's dream of being great thus the monarchy xenophobes begin a revolution to kick out the NUN as in their point of view they had broken promises. Also seeing a bunch of cyborgs try to rule the galaxy offended their pride.

While it seems apples are the only export Windermere leading to a trade imbalance, I assume, I wonder if the events of Macross Frontier has affected them economically.

Luca said whoever has the monopoly on Fold Quartz rules the galaxy. It could be with Protoculture ruins having Fold Quartz Windermrere is expecting a massive windfall making them an economical and political power house in the NUN. Ouroboros while having Fold Quartz in its ruins can be unaccessible for years.

Then Frontier receives a planet full Fold Quartz given by the Vajra. Either they have a monopoly on Fold Quartz flooding the market or the NUN restricts Fold Quartz trade as it is so weaponize.

Goodbye Windermere's dream of being great thus the monarchy xenophobes begin a revolution to kick out the NUN as in their point of view they had broken promises. Also seeing a bunch of cyborgs try to rule the galaxy offended their pride.

We don't know whether the "apples as the only export" this is before or after the war of independence though. Especially since we know that they did close off their borders after the war.

Well, a new episode has provided answers to some questions in the field of geography and history, which is partly clarified the causes and extent of the conflict ...

In addition, we have demonstrated a new, and more specifically the old technologies that have passed their alternative way of development ...

But most importantly, we have shown in detail the characters, thereby revealing their identity ...

Very good episode :)

Actually, he increased the fan power while lowering the temperature. Probably to simulate feeling the wind in their faces, similar to what Sharon did to Isamu's YF-19 in Plus.YyfDMYa.gif

That makes sense. I was misinterpreting what I saw.

IMilia had pointy ears in DYRL as well.

BCP9zIV.gifCH

As I stated earlier, Zentraedi have had pointy ears since then. Look closely at Guld and Mylene and you'll notice that they have them too.

Milia's ears were not nearly as pointed, and nearly as.... HORIZONTAL, that's it, that's what's so different about Mirage... HORIZONTAL EARS.

MUTANT... yep, that's what she is, a mutant

Going back to the culture thing, I do agree that Frontier was a little about technology going amok, but there were also aspects of perverting culture, when Sheryl and then Ranka was used by Grace. How else would you term the Minmay attack on NUNS in episode 24.