Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 5 - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 5: Moonlight Dancing  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (It's a supernatural delight Everybody's dancin' in the moonlight)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Needs more cats)

This episode makes me wonder more about MakiMaki's background. I used to think that playing around with the Valks was a hobby. But I wonder if she wasn't actually a mechanic or a tech before it was found out that she could sing with fold waves.

Edited by d3v

This episode makes me wonder more about MakiMaki's background. I used to think that playing around with the Valks was a hobby. But I wonder if she wasn't actually a mechanic or a tech before it was found out that she could sing with fold waves.

There is a theory it is in her blood as she is a descendant of Raizo Nakajima.

I really do like that the women aren't JUST idol singers, but rather full team members with multiple roles to play within the Delta Platoon. Makina and Reina aren't playing around with tech stuff, they practically lead the ground support crews. Kaname has been shown to have more value on the strategic/operational side than on the singing stage. Mikumo has only been shown talking to the sky outside of her singing role, but there's obviously more to be learned there, and she seems to have a direct line to HQ, which hints at greater capabilities.

In short, I like that these are all strong characters with multiple talents and values to the plot, not just one dimensional idols.

BChoinski, on 05 May 2016 - 10:02, said:snapback.png

I do like that they went with the DYRL meeting instead of the Series one... falling for a one's match or equal is cooler with Mecha instead of that lame knife fight.

Actually they first met face to face going head to head on a tabletop video game. Which is the way all young lovers met in the 80s. It was totally awesome, dude.

I am aware of that, but that is not the point their eyes and hearts locked on; it was after the knife fight (SDFM) and after the battle on the Meltrandi ship (DYRL).

BChoinski, on 05 May 2016 - 10:02, said:snapback.png

Actually they first met face to face going head to head on a tabletop video game. Which is the way all young lovers met in the 80s. It was totally awesome, dude.

I am aware of that, but that is not the point their eyes and hearts locked on; it was after the knife fight (SDFM) and after the battle on the Meltrandi ship (DYRL).

Max had eyes for Millia during the video game. That's why he chased after her. It's only Milia that had to be convinced by Max. The DYRL scenerio was more mutual.

Max had eyes for Millia during the video game. That's why he chased after her. It's only Milia that had to be convinced by Max. The DYRL scenerio was more mutual.

Oh he had eyes alright... He was even estimating her measurements lol.

Oh he had eyes alright... He was even estimating her measurements lol.

Oh, yeah I forgot about that. I need to rewatch it. Lol!

Regarding the Hayate/Freyja excursion, really there's no way he could have just taken it out for a joyride without someone being alerted and confronting him about it as soon as he started to take off. Besides, didn't he use the excuse of a training exercise, and isn't Freyja supposed to ride with him during missions. The scene honestly seemed a little shoe horned in to provide a nostolgic musical scene and provide some drama afterward.

Edited by sharky

I really do like that the women aren't JUST idol singers, but rather full team members with multiple roles to play within the Delta Platoon. Makina and Reina aren't playing around with tech stuff, they practically lead the ground support crews. Kaname has been shown to have more value on the strategic/operational side than on the singing stage. Mikumo has only been shown talking to the sky outside of her singing role, but there's obviously more to be learned there, and she seems to have a direct line to HQ, which hints at greater capabilities.

In short, I like that these are all strong characters with multiple talents and values to the plot, not just one dimensional idols.

With how Makina seems to take the initative on tech stuff, it's almost as if she's equal to the crew chief or something. I'll bet she's actually in charge of all the holo stuff.

I meant retconned from original SDFM, given the final wedding scene there (which was not in DYRL). But yea, after DYRL the ears were in as a marker for Zentraedi blood.

I do like that they went with the DYRL meeting instead of the Series one... falling for a one's match or equal is cooler with Mecha instead of that lame knife fight.

I would also throw out that we don't know about Mirage's father. He might have been Zolan who have even more prominent pointed ears

Mikumo has only been shown talking to the sky outside of her singing role, but there's obviously more to be learned there, and she seems to have a direct line to HQ, which hints at greater capabilities.

It seems to me that Mikumo does spend a lot of time by herself. I'm thinking she's involved in higher level agendas apart from the normal duties of Walkure.

Edited by sharky

With how Makina seems to take the initiative on tech stuff, it's almost as if she's equal to the crew chief or something.

I agree, and I think that's pretty cool. I would love it if they actually are in charge of the mechanical crews.

On Mikumo, it's clear that there are some interesting things happening with Chaos HQ. I'll be very interested to see how long they string that along before giving us more detail on what that relationship is and who's in charge there.

Edited by guyxxed

That can't be as in Dynamite 7 they stated that Zolan's and Humans/Zentradi are incompatible since Zolan's are Marsupials.

Isn't Michael from Frontier supposedly part Zolan? Edited by Master Dex

Isn't Michael from Frontier supposedly part Zolan?

Hmm... I now that you mention it... I do recall that the Macross Frontier novel stated something along the lines that he was like part Human, part Zentradi, and like you said part Zolan . But that does contradict what Dynamite 7 stated... So I'm honestly torn on what to truly believe. Though the novel is second tier canon next to the anime's, I suppose it's possible and reconcilable that Michael as well as his sister were not born in the traditional sense but cloned into existence to avoid the issues with genetic problems that might exist.

I believe in earlier eps he has "subtly" pointed ears like DYRL/Plus Zentradi do, but after a while, and certainly in the movie, his ears are perfectly round up top. They either forgot, or ret-conned him part-way through.

Hmm... I now that you mention it... I do recall that the Macross Frontier novel stated something along the lines that he was like part Human, part Zentradi, and like you said part Zolan . But that does contradict what Dynamite 7 stated... So I'm honestly torn on what to truly believe. Though the novel is second tier canon next to the anime's, I suppose it's possible and reconcilable that Michael as well as his sister were not born in the traditional sense but cloned into existence to avoid the issues with genetic problems that might exist.

Macross Chronicle points out he is part Zolan as well from a grandparent. Macross F 2059 Memories however say he is part Zentrradi.

there.

I take it his family likes to procreate with alien girls. Alas in the TV continuity his line ends with him.

Mind you in Macross 7 during the ruin episode the Protoculture were counting on their children to procreate with each other.

On another note I got from 2ch info that being a mechanic is in Makina's blood. She loves mechs, she loves idols. Being in Walkure she can fulfill her dream of both.

Edited by RedWolf

Well, all that matters is the end story. I can tolerate the knife version since they had limited resources for animation. I think the DYRL version has more snazz, and granted a bigger budget. One wonders what we might have seen had SDFM had the resources/budget of the movie for each episode, or even the resources and technology of Yamato 2199.

Well, all that matters is the end story. I can tolerate the knife version since they had limited resources for animation. I think the DYRL version has more snazz, and granted a bigger budget. One wonders what we might have seen had SDFM had the resources/budget of the movie for each episode, or even the resources and technology of Yamato 2199.

It'd probably look like certain pachinko games. :p

They are superdimensional characters. :p

Edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky

Wait after colonizing Eden Megaroad 4 was used again?

It was never used to colonize Eden to begin with... that's a fairly straightforward chronology error in Macross Chronicle, and is actually contradicted by remarks in an earlier part of the same sheet which contain the correct information. The graphic in Macross Frontier that likely prompted the error has many inaccuracies, in this case the problem being its omission of the (initially) more numerous short-range emigrant fleets. It was one of those fleets, which started launching 04/2013, that discovered and colonized the newly-discovered planet Eden.

After all, it'd be rather difficult for Megaroad-04 to have done the deed when she wasn't launched until two years after the colony had been established. It'd also be a colossal waste of resources to use a large-scale long-distance emigrant ship to colonize a planet that's not even twelve light years away, which is a milk run by fold travel standards. Those ships were built to locate habitable worlds hundreds or thousands of light years away. SDF-5 Megaroad-04 was apparently the overachiever of the family, wandering something like a hundred thousand light years before finding Windermere.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The graphic in Macross Frontier that likely prompted the error has many inaccuracies, in this case the problem being its omission of the (initially) more numerous short-range emigrant fleets.

It's why I keep saying, treat the map as representative, not as the actual flight path.

• 4 weeks later...

Neutral vote.

I think this was the strongest episode so far. It just that a fantasy kingdom seems like it should belong in different anime. Same thing goes for girl band with super powers. Take everything that was popular with anime fans that liked Frontier. Mix it up with some other popular anime genres and you have Delta.

I wonder if Mirage's memory mean that Delta exist in the same universe where DYRL was an actual historic events or has her memory has just been tainted by seeing it in movie form?

She wouldn't have "remembered" any of it it since she was born afterwards. So those stills weren't memories of the events but memories of images of the events (i.e. paintings of the battle and wedding photos) and you are most likely be right about Mirage seeing the movie, though.

• 4 weeks later...