I still like my 1/48 Collection. How about you?

Roy Focker

In the time since this thread started I've come around to really not liking the 1/48's. I'd sell the ones I have but they're such junkers I think I'd be better off just tossing them out. :(

Edited by anime52k8

6 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

In the time since this thread started I've come around to really not liking the 1/48's. I'd sell the ones I have but they're such junkers I think I'd be better off just tossing them out. :(

Well if you not selling them, just toss them out to me. I would be happy to take those junkers off your hands.

I hate seeing MW members so unhappy.

Giving them to me will bring you happiness and provide you more shelf space to set up the new DX Valkyries.

Edited by nightmareB4macross
Spelling.

I really enjoy the Yamato 1/48 VF-1s. I have been debating selling my DYRL set, but not because I don't like them - it's for space purposes. Assuming Bandai does the whole lineup in 1/48 DX, I won't have room to display one of each . Even with that in mind it isn't an easy decision to let them go. 

I honestly don't think the Yammies have aged poorly compared to the DXs.  At a quick glance to the untrained eye, one would be hard-pressed to see any major differences.  

That being said, I'm definitely going to get one of the DXs.  Waiting out for a Roy, but I might cave for the Hikaru 1S when it comes out.  I don't really want it since I already have the Yamato version, but who knows how I will feel when it comes out.  

If I come across a 1J for a good price, I may jump on it, but I find them currently absurdly overpriced.  

Back in February when I was in Japan:

DSC_0055_13.JPG

Out of principle, I can't justify to myself paying 15,000 JPY over MSRP, though many folks here can.

Edited by peter

12 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

6 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I’ll take some too!:D

I'm in for that as well. ;)

I'm right behind @tekering and @Slave IV in blending the DX and the Yammie 1/48 into the collection. Why get rid of it? I'll be getting at least one DX VF-1 if I can get it. 

Edit: I would actually sell my 1/48 Yammie M&M and Hikaru 1s with the SSP add on. There is no chance that I'm selling the obscured variants. I don't think that Bandai will produce the odd coloured schemes. 

Edited by borgified

1 hour ago, jenius said:

It's kind of like the Yamato VF-0 and the Arcadia VF-0... At a glance you can convince yourself the old version is fine but when you handle the new one you can never go back.

I'm trying to convince myself as we speak.  Thankfully, I don't have any of the DX ones yet......

On 9/26/2019 at 4:46 AM, anime52k8 said:

@anime52k8 I’m sure there a more than a few mw members that would take most of them off your hands. Don’t toss them!

• 2 weeks later...

So I checked and Yamato uses thin pegs for the hands and Bandai uses a thick ball joint. No go unless someone wants to file their ball peg down to fit. I ain’t doing it, lol!  I’m surprised no one has printed hands or have they?

edit: now that I think about it, maybe 1/60 hands would work? Anything is better than the tiny skeleton hands on the 1/48 and VF-0s

Edited by Slave IV

22 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

So I checked and Yamato uses thin pegs for the hands and Bandai uses a thick ball joint. No go unless someone wants to file their ball peg down to fit. I ain’t doing it, lol!  I’m surprised no one has printed hands or have they?

edit: now that I think about it, maybe 1/60 hands would work? Anything is better than the tiny skeleton hands on the 1/48 and VF-0s

It's been a while but I "Think" it was EXO who made 1/48 fixed pose hands some years ago. 

And yes, you can totally use the 1/60 hands, they match up really good IMHO. B))

post-6180-0-51580700-1370451408-001.jpg

20 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I remember way back someone used mastergrade Gundam hands , there was even a guides for it , others try hands like those old robotech super possible vf-1 figures and even the Eva hand from those old kaiyodo xebec eva (need to be repainted).   But if you have extra 1/60 hands it should work well .

I' miss still not sure what to do regarding those Bandai 1/48s. Picked up the 1-J when it came out and love it, but like many I own a lot of the 1/48 Yamato oldies and in Fighter mode,on display in the midst of many of other stuff, they look fine...Also, it would spare some extra $$$ to get non-Macross related stuff that I also collect. On the other hand those Bandai's are a joy to pose.....A bit big to play with on your desk, but cool nonetheless....here's an old pic with some Yammies and the lastest Bandai I took a while back (might've posted it already...if so my bad)...At a glance, you could barely tell them apart.

IMG_7359.JPG

2 hours ago, Kinzoku VF said:

I' miss still not sure what to do regarding those Bandai 1/48s. Picked up the 1-J when it came out and love it, but like many I own a lot of the 1/48 Yamato oldies and in Fighter mode,on display in the midst of many of other stuff, they look fine...Also, it would spare some extra $$$ to get non-Macross related stuff that I also collect. On the other hand those Bandai's are a joy to pose.....A bit big to play with on your desk, but cool nonetheless....here's an old pic with some Yammies and the lastest Bandai I took a while back (might've posted it already...if so my bad)...At a glance, you could barely tell them apart.

IMG_7359.JPG

At a quick glance, definitely hard to tell apart.  I doubt I'll get DX dupes of the Yammies I already have.

Edited by peter

Hi Yammie Fans!

If it weren't for Macross World, I would have never re-kindled my passion for Macross a long while ago (Thanks Graham!!).

I feel quite fortunate that I got my 1/48's when I did a long time ago (Pics might be forthcoming as I am unpacking from a move). I think I would have liked to get a DX or two if it came out 18 years ago. The DX seems nice, The reviews that I have seen online make a very convincing argument...if you don't own a Yammie.

Do you recall the jump that Yamato made to get to 1/48 once upon a time?

To me, that was enough change and refinement to punish my wallet to shell out monies for [3] DRYL VF-1S' and [3] Gen #1 Low Viz's. I don't see that kind of jump with the DX. Yamato set a high benchmark. It seems to me that the DX is really a Yamato-plus. I probably would shell out / donate a functioning organ to get a better VF-1...

...but in order to do so, the DX needed to make a greater leap or go back in time about 18 years...

4 hours ago, wsna said:

Hi Yammie Fans!

If it weren't for Macross World, I would have never re-kindled my passion for Macross a long while ago (Thanks Graham!!).

I feel quite fortunate that I got my 1/48's when I did a long time ago (Pics might be forthcoming as I am unpacking from a move). I think I would have liked to get a DX or two if it came out 18 years ago. The DX seems nice, The reviews that I have seen online make a very convincing argument...if you don't own a Yammie.

Do you recall the jump that Yamato made to get to 1/48 once upon a time?

To me, that was enough change and refinement to punish my wallet to shell out monies for [3] DRYL VF-1S' and [3] Gen #1 Low Viz's. I don't see that kind of jump with the DX. Yamato set a high benchmark. It seems to me that the DX is really a Yamato-plus. I probably would shell out / donate a functioning organ to get a better VF-1...

...but in order to do so, the DX needed to make a greater leap or go back in time about 18 years...

Or be available for the actual MSRP, lol! 

I'm not a huge collector either and only have 4 Yamato 1/48s, but at current prices and availability, I will probably put in the effort to get just one DX.

34 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I love Yamato 1/48’s and still buy them even after the DX released when I see a good enough deal. BUT, the DX is a big improvement over it in many ways. Mainly, it is structurally more solid and articulated. 

Exactly this. I still love my Yammie 48's. I really dig the old school "chunk" that they have. especially around the chest plate and how it scales with the head. That said, they're pretty floppy at this point and in my estimation display pieces only. Which is 99% OK with me because I'm a "display it and leave it" collector. They get sort of frustrating setting up though sometimes. Lose of joint tightness is limiting poses and stuff falls off all the time. Not the end of the world. I've picked up some 1/48's for really fair pricing lately.

That said, I'm all over the DX thing. I got one Hikaru VF-1J and one Max VF-1A. But I went CRAZY and got four VF-1S Hikaru's and eight S&S parts (in anticipation of the Focker release). One Valk for each mode and I think I'm going to have LEK do his thing one one Hikaru and one Focker. I'm "all in". I do need to get more missile sets though. waiting for a re-issue (fingers crossed).

I'm hoping that Bandai does M&M's with Supers. I'm all over that too. Three of each!

My holy grail wish is for a VF-1S Focker with S&S parts in 1/35 or larger. Something along the lines of that $1000 Gundam monster they released. If it was big and detailed enough (weathered, panel lined, etc) I would absolutely pay $1000 for one. I'd only get one of those though.:p

I need a bigger office to display all this stuff!

14 minutes ago, vladykins said:

I could never get rid of my babies (two VF-1j stealths and a 25th Anniversary). I love the color scheme too much to part with them.

17499378_10208901924370380_1917701177952053633_n.jpg

A Stealth w/ S&S parts came up on Jungle a few weeks ago. I dragged my feet too long. I'm mad at myself for not pulling the trigger. That is one sweet Va;k you have there brother!:good:

20 minutes ago, sqidd said:

A Stealth w/ S&S parts came up on Jungle a few weeks ago. I dragged my feet too long. I'm mad at myself for not pulling the trigger. That is one sweet Va;k you have there brother!:good:

Thanks. I hate hiding the one under the urban camo GBP, but the color scheme worked well together. This is my older picture- I have these on new shelves and readjusted things for when my DX 1A shows any day now- then I'll take a new pict.

50 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Exactly this. I still love my Yammie 48's. I really dig the old school "chunk" that they have. especially around the chest plate and how it scales with the head. That said, they're pretty floppy at this point and in my estimation display pieces only. Which is 99% OK with me because I'm a "display it and leave it" collector. They get sort of frustrating setting up though sometimes. Lose of joint tightness is limiting poses and stuff falls off all the time. Not the end of the world. I've picked up some 1/48's for really fair pricing lately.

That said, I'm all over the DX thing. I got one Hikaru VF-1J and one Max VF-1A. But I went CRAZY and got four VF-1S Hikaru's and eight S&S parts (in anticipation of the Focker release). One Valk for each mode and I think I'm going to have LEK do his thing one one Hikaru and one Focker. I'm "all in". I do need to get more missile sets though. waiting for a re-issue (fingers crossed).

I'm hoping that Bandai does M&M's with Supers. I'm all over that too. Three of each!

My holy grail wish is for a VF-1S Focker with S&S parts in 1/35 or larger. Something along the lines of that $1000 Gundam monster they released. If it was big and detailed enough (weathered, panel lined, etc) I would absolutely pay $1000 for one. I'd only get one of those though.:p

I need a bigger office to display all this stuff!

With all the left over missile from the Yamato sets, I might try to mod some spare missiles to fit the DX.

Bought this VF-1A Max a while ago, previously enjoyed, some of the stickers applied and now peeling.

PA101473.JPG

PA101476.JPG

PA101478.JPG

PA101479.JPG

PA101480.JPG

PA101481.JPG

PA101482.JPG

PA101483.JPG

Anyway, the thing was cheap so I decided to experiment with some Tamiya panel lining.

PA101485.JPG

PA101486.JPG

I did half first, and I'll have to go back and clean up some of the messy bits.

PA121488.JPG

PA121489.JPG

PA121490.JPG

PA121491.JPG

PA121492.JPG

PA121493.JPG

PA131516.JPG

PA131518.JPG

PA141633.JPG

The FAST packs didn't take the panel lining so well, but you can sort of see it.  It bled a lot, so again, I'll have to go back and clean it up a bit.

PA141634.JPG

PA141635.JPG

PA141636.JPG

PA141637.JPG

PA141638.JPG

PA141639.JPG

PA141640.JPG

PA141641.JPG

PA141643.JPG