The Umineko Thread

Saruta

This is a thread about "umineko", known as mercats or seacats in English (depending on the fansubber). I guess we'll be seeing more of them, so we could as well discuss their behaviour, suggested lineage (Protocatture? Genetic engineering?) and other things here, not just in episode threads.

Oh. And pictures. And memes. And anything else umineko/seacat/sealcat/mercat. And wanting A MERCAT NEOW.

Human(oid) Delta characters have a thread. Mercats also have a thread now. Macrossworld, never speciesist!

(first image is a gif, not sure how to make it show the moving part better)

post-22229-0-64763100-1461342737_thumb.gif

post-22229-0-19359500-1461342706_thumb.jpg

post-22229-0-47674400-1461342708_thumb.jpg

post-22229-0-35359800-1461342933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saruta

I said it before, and I'll say it again, the girls dorm mercat (Querule?) looks like something out of a Keita Takahashi wet dream.

EDIT: Needs to me stated, "umineko" is actually the Japanese word for seagull, or specifically the Black-tailed Gull which has a cat-like call.

Edited by d3v

I'd be more interested in the types of dishes one could serve using Mercat meat. They do look delicious, especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti :)

... Ragu Nyan-Nyan is a Chinese restaurant, man. Cooking the cat is kind of the low-hanging fruit of humor, isn't it?

I'd be more interested in the types of dishes one could serve using Mercat meat. They do look delicious, especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti :)

If you've ever had steamed buns (sio pao) or dumplings (sio mai) from a shady chinese restoraunt, you've probably already tasted cat.

If you've ever had steamed buns (sio pao) or dumplings (sio mai) from a shady chinese restoraunt, you've probably already tasted cat.

i remember that went "viral"/"trending" in the 80's. personally, i never came across concrete info that would suggest it was anything more than an urban legend.

i do recall a local Chinese take-out that had flyers stating: "Our Siopao are not MEOW" (literal translation)

i do personally know, that there are places around the world that serve cat meat, rat too.

i remember that went "viral"/"trending" in the 80's. personally, i never came across concrete info that would suggest it was anything more than an urban legend.

i do recall a local Chinese take-out that had flyers stating: "Our Siopao are not MEOW" (literal translation)

i do personally know, that there are places around the world that serve cat meat, rat too.

Sio pao? Sio meow!

I wonder if Ragnans post lolmercats online. And if there are "draw Walkure as mercats" contests.

Edited by Saruta

Catfish is already a different animal though

Well, umineko means a different animal in modern japanese, too. One we english-speakers would call a seagull.

It seems that there is actually a pun intended with the creatures in Delta and a real terrestrial creature. But calling them "seagulls" would make no sense, because in english seagulls have no connection to cats. Such a pity that this pun involving aquatic life named after felines could never work in english because we just don't have that kind of linguistic assemblage...

If Basara comes to Ragna he'd think of seagulls instead of Seacats thus being corrected by a local like when he said Whales swim at the sea much the confusion of Elma that states Whales are at space.

Speaking of cats Zola has marsupial cats. Zentradi tend to bond with big cats compared to miclones that is. Veffidas had a black panther as a companion when she was still a martial artist on some frontier planet. Hydra are treated like domestic cats by giant Zentradi.

The Protoculture ruin planet of New Asia has a Sphinx in M3's intro but we never saw the face if it is man or a cat.

Usually, with a compound word like "catfish", the second word tends to be the one that's being modified by the first. So "catfish" means "a cat-like fish".

As for "mercat", which is a portmanteau (of mermaid and cat), it makes sense because they do look like mermaid versions of cats - cat upper bodies with piscine lower bodies.

Usually, with a compound word like "catfish", the second word tends to be the one that's being modified by the first. So "catfish" means "a cat-like fish".

As for "mercat", which is a portmanteau (of mermaid and cat), it makes sense because they do look like mermaid versions of cats - cat upper bodies with piscine lower bodies.

Speaking of cats Zola has marsupial cats. Zentradi tend to bond with big cats compared to miclones that is. Veffidas had a black panther as a companion when she was still a martial artist on some frontier planet. Hydra are treated like domestic cats by giant Zentradi.

The Protoculture ruin planet of New Asia has a Sphinx in M3's intro but we never saw the face if it is man or a cat.

Nice collection of cats!

I'm pretty sure the Hydra is a pokemon, though. I found this list of cat pokemon and it isn't included, so I think it must be more of a dog-type. Silly Zentraedi!

They look more like cat/seal hybrids to me. Mermaids have scales.