Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 4 - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 4: Shocking Debut Stage  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive ( Listen to Frejya's song! )
    • Neutral
    • Negative ( Frejya. Worst. Debut. Ever.)

No mention the "great wind" yet in this episode, but Roid according to Redwolf mentions something about

Kingdom of Wind is laying claim on everything of Protoculture legacy

That sounds very elitist to lay claim on everything. Unless they had a hand in developing protoculture?

Sounds like R***tech Masters with the protocluture factory? lol j/king....

Edited by seti88

Ok now that the initial excitement of the song and robot dance faded...

Did they just set up a mini version of Macross getting back to Earth arc? Just one arm of a Macross this time. The Walkure and their pilots presumably have to get back and liberate Ragna while being hounded by the boyband. This seems like a nice way to concentrate more on the main cast

Haven't gotten through the raw yet, but some initial thoughts:

- Dark-skinned Ragnan girl crushing on Messer is friggin' hot.

- Kaname reminds me of Merribit Stapleton from Gundam IBO. Both mature, level-headed, and supremely confident. Seems she and Arad have something going on, a suspicion others have voiced from the first episode. They definitely seem to be the Delta Claudia and Roy, and they do it good too.

- Mysterious Mikumo being mysterious.

- So the preview screenshot of Hayate's 31J was a bit misleading. People wondered where the tail fin was, and it turns out it was a trick of the camera: it's folded flush with the fuselage, and from the lower angle looking up it can't be seen.

- My favorite screens thus far:

post-30901-0-87326200-1461518164_thumb.png

post-30901-0-01144300-1461518176_thumb.png

post-30901-0-49515100-1461518186_thumb.png

- Sharon Apple remains a nebulous entity in Macross canon. She gets name-dropped in the first Frontier movie in a positive light, which was odd, but here she's not mentioned at all, which is just as strange.

EDIT:

Of course there are schoolgirl outfits. Of course. Yare yare, as they say.

EDIT 2:

Oh frakk off Kawamori with your cool transformations. Now you're just pandering to us and we're eating it up. :p

Edited by kajnrig

My theory.

The motivation to take over the Protoculture legacy is out of pride and an imagined slight by humanity. Windermere is a culture that believes it would inherit the stars yet these Humans come already having an interstellar civilization just because they got lucky or unlucky with a Supervision Army gunship. Taming the Zentradi and uniting the Children of the Protoculture under their banner.

To compound it a bunch of transhumanist cyborgs tried to take over the galaxy with the Vajra threatening every NUN world simultaneously.

Their grudge as Bogue puts it is that Earthers are better than them in everything.

Earth had the Bird Human guarding them and was spared. Earthers did what the Protoculture could not tame the Protodevlin. The ruins of Rax gave its secrets as Humans chose to mix their blood with fellow Children of the Protoculture.

Sugoii episode. Loving it. Agree with most of what is being said.

And Windermere is surely going all out with their claim. I thought this would be a more remote 'colonial' kind of conflict but they seem to be laying claim to the whole darn thing.

Random thoughts.

Mikumo confirmed for intergalactic something or another.

I loved the whole private party scene. You had the kiddies table were all the non-booze drinkers were sitting. And Freyja eating squid is the best thing ever.

Ernest Johnson. What a pimp.

So one thing has certainly been cleared up, those girls are not wearing full suits with holograms overlaid over them. That won't make the some people happy at all.

262 Lead Battroid head is bad-ass, the standard has disappointing space-pope heads like we all thought they would.

Haven't gotten through the raw yet, but some initial thoughts:

- Dark-skinned Ragnan girl crushing on Messer is friggin' hot.

Regarding Messer and Chuck's sister(?)...

From the Bro Code

Article 19

A Bro shall not sleep with another Bro's sister. However, a Bro shall not get angry if another Bro says, "Dude, your sister's hot!"

Ah, sitting down to watch this one right now...

Have I mentioned that I really like the architecture on Windermere? That's one hell of a castle.

Figures they'd have a reverence for birds... it's really starting to sound like they have a religion based around wind. Not sure what to make of a four-winged bird though. If birds there are anything like birds here, I'd imagine a religion that involved large amounts of looking up at them would be a great way to end up on the receiving end of bird droppings.

Well, no wonder Keith is large and in charge... he's the prince/king's brother.

It seems a safe bet Messer isn't married, but I'm starting to wonder about his ability to appear completely oblivious to the advances of women. Is he just not into Ragnans, or are we really headed down the Keith x Messer route?

Anyone notice that the sign on the beach at about 7:30 in labels it "RANKA BEACH"?

OK, so that ship in the second episode IS the Macross Elysion... or at least, it's one of its arms. The visuals for its fold effect seem to be the Frontier-type, so whatever the Windermerians are using may be different? More advanced? Maybe less, if the Windermerians are nicking NUNS technology.

It looked like Walkure jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft in street clothes, so where the hell did those rockets come from? Is the "Sound Stage" they mention in the first episode something more than just a containment area and holographic projection system? Taking the apple obsession a bit far though... gratified that I was right that Freyja would turn out to be the kind who can perform better under pressure though.

Lovely smooth transformation animation on Hayate's VF-31J. I wasn't too keen on the FSW design, but this one may grow on me. Confirmation that that's a beam rifle up top is nice as well.

Wow. Sh*t just got REAL. Aerial Knights annihilated Walkure's ability to fight AND turned the NUNS forces against Delta Platoon in one fell swoop. First time we've seen a pinpoint barrier on a fighter overload too!

For a species with such a short lifespan, they've sure got brass balls... claiming ownership of the Protoculture's legacy like that. I wonder what makes them think they have a legitimate claim?

What a chapter!. An amazing ending and some more plot to this story which is getting more and more interesting.

Windermere goes full Sieg Zeon (and we all know that is going to suffer a similar fate)

Also I will put my prediction here... If the recent manga introduces the fiance of Freyja and know we know that Windermere is going full Zeon, then I think that in the future we are going to see the apple kid (Freyja fiance) in a Sv-262 making this an even more dramatic triangle.

SBr3mIz.gif

deculture!

There was fan service for EVERYONE in this episode... :p

Oh Mikumo being mysterious and naked talking to something in an open sky. While she does give Sivil like vibes I think she is something else.

Got more of a Sarah vibe from that. I am wondering if the "wind" is the same referenced by Sarah in Mac Zero and that Mao had more than one child and thus more grand daughters?

Though the idea of two child races fighting over the PC legacy is an exciting change for a TV series

Edited by Zinjo

Ah, sitting down to watch this one right now...

Have I mentioned that I really like the architecture on Windermere? That's one hell of a castle.

Figures they'd have a reverence for birds... it's really starting to sound like they have a religion based around wind. Not sure what to make of a four-winged bird though. If birds there are anything like birds here, I'd imagine a religion that involved large amounts of looking up at them would be a great way to end up on the receiving end of bird droppings.

Well, no wonder Keith is large and in charge... he's the prince/king's brother.

It seems a safe bet Messer isn't married, but I'm starting to wonder about his ability to appear completely oblivious to the advances of women. Is he just not into Ragnans, or are we really headed down the Keith x Messer route?

Anyone notice that the sign on the beach at about 7:30 in labels it "RANKA BEACH"?

OK, so that ship in the second episode IS the Macross Elysion... or at least, it's one of its arms. The visuals for its fold effect seem to be the Frontier-type, so whatever the Windermerians are using may be different? More advanced? Maybe less, if the Windermerians are nicking NUNS technology.

It looked like Walkure jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft in street clothes, so where the hell did those rockets come from? Is the "Sound Stage" they mention in the first episode something more than just a containment area and holographic projection system? Taking the apple obsession a bit far though... gratified that I was right that Freyja would turn out to be the kind who can perform better under pressure though.

Lovely smooth transformation animation on Hayate's VF-31J. I wasn't too keen on the FSW design, but this one may grow on me. Confirmation that that's a beam rifle up top is nice as well.

Wow. Sh*t just got REAL. Aerial Knights annihilated Walkure's ability to fight AND turned the NUNS forces against Delta Platoon in one fell swoop. First time we've seen a pinpoint barrier on a fighter overload too!

For a species with such a short lifespan, they've sure got brass balls... claiming ownership of the Protoculture's legacy like that. I wonder what makes them think they have a legitimate claim?

In the manga it was noted they have Viking architecture for commoners.

A four winged bird? Ah no wonder the Protoculture called Vajra Queen mimic of theirs Bird Human.

Keith is the illegitimate son of the old king so that why he isn't king but his half brother.

Ranka is popular on Ragna to get a beach named after her.

Walkure has rocket skirts like Sheryl.

This particular Var attack is different as victims aren't just random berserkers but organized which makes it more of a mind control.

While humanity may have been engineered along the lines of Anima Spiritia Windermereans may have been engineered as Emulators. Singing Songs of Death isn't exactly healthy either. A 30 year lifespan could indicate they are a low Spiritia generating race.

Their Great Wind could be the Kadun.

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRglossary/Glossary07a.php

Kadun

The Mayan Island legend of spirit-like beings is recited on the solitary south seas island. It's thought to be something close to the animism ideology, where divinity dwells in every single thing in this world, and there are such Kaduns as "the Iron Kadun" and "the Fire Kadun". Also, some of the Kadun negatively influence humans, and the persons who violate taboos are thought to have been possessed by the "curse of a Kadun". Moreover, it's said that the "Birdman" (Eifos) will awaken and destroy this world when the "Kadun of Conflict", who arrives from the other side of the sea, blows the wind of ruin.

Caption: [Kadun] The Shrine Maiden of the Wind, Sara Nome, who was taken into the Eifos (left picture), saw the appearance of the Unified Forces and Anti Unification Alliance, who were unrolling a battle in the skies of Mayan Island, as the "Kadun of Conflict" (right picture). In her eyes, it seems that the negative feelings, such as anger and fear that the pilots emitted, were projected as beings that called and awakened the wind of ruin.

I have a suspicion Windermere has Protoculture ruins like Ourobos. Unlike Ouroboros the natives did not disappear. Also remember the whole point of seeding races was so that the Protoculture could colonize that world at a later date. The Protoculture had remnants at the edge of the galaxy which is where Delta is set.

In any case they don't like Humans taking what they perceive as their birthright.

In the manga it was noted they have Viking architecture for commoners.

A four winged bird? Ah no wonder the Protoculture called Vajra Queen mimic of theirs Bird Human.

Keith is the illegitimate son of the old king so that why he isn't king but his half brother.

Ranka is popular on Ragna to get a beach named after her.

Walkure has rocket skirts like Sheryl.

This particular Var attack is different as victims aren't just random berserkers but organized which makes it more of a mind control.

While humanity may have been engineered along the lines of Anima Spiritia Windermereans may have been engineered as Emulators. Singing Songs of Death isn't exactly healthy either. A 30 year lifespan could indicate they are a low Spiritia generating race.

Their Great Wind could be the Kadun.

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRglossary/Glossary07a.php

I have a suspicion Windermere has Protoculture ruins like Ourobos. Unlike Ouroboros the natives did not disappear. Also remember the whole point of seeding races was so that the Protoculture could colonize that world at a later date. The Protoculture had remnants at the edge of the galaxy which is where Delta is set.

In any case they don't like Humans taking what they perceive as their birthright.

I believe they are the remnants of the Anima Spiritia army and the Great Wind is the Kadun. Perhaps their short lifespan isn't due to a low spiritia generating race, but the opposite. Thus they burn out and die faster than other engineered species. It may have been the reason why humans and the like lost the natural ability to generate large amounts of spiritua. It shortened their lifespans. Good news for Basra haters.... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Having seen the episode, I got to wondering just how they had gotten their hands on Valkyrie technology. Especially since they are SV's, which haven't been used since Macross 0... so I decided to look at maps and this is what I found. I went back to Frontier and watched the scene showing all of the colonization fleets heading out and then used the map shown in Delta and found that surprisingly the trails matched up for all the ones launched from Earth. (Side note: We see that Galaxy launched from Eden) So I was able to accurately mark where Macross 7 is and Frontier is as of Delta is on the new map, but also find that it looks like Macross 2 wound up on Windemere. I apologize though for the crappy blurred screen grabs I did for the Frontier shots but it shows what it needs to. Sadly I wasn't able to make out what fleet was the one that reached Ragna due to my bad screen grabs, but perhaps someone else'll be able to tell. Anyways...

tWGEDKY.jpg

fIW8A2n.pngiTcfSaB.jpgAABzEhf.png

So based on this, we can assume since it is Macross 2 fleet, it was carrying perhaps some of the older designs? Such as the SV-51 or it'd be more apt to say it was probably carrying some SV-52's that had been retrofitted with the thermonuclear turbofans and produced by U.N. Spacy. I say this though, mostly based on the novelization of Macross Frontier which mentioned the SV-52's having been in production and were used in the filming of the Mayan Island Incident. I theorize that the Macross 2 fleet probably made use of these instead of the standard VF's.

It'd sure explain why they make use of SV designs and perhaps cover a bit of their xenophobia. Especially if we consider that a fleet making use of the SV-52's was possibly anti-U.N. Spacy/anti-NUNS. Or I might be just stretching things and the real factor is they got their hands on the SV's because they know their history. Either way, just something this episode made me ponder on. Especially after seeing the new Draken's in action.