Latest completed kit - VT-11 Emu

Jefuemon

The say-what-now??

Yeah, not official, but I'm continuing the tradition of naming training aircraft after large, flightless birds. Was originally the VF-11D Thunderseeker, just trimmed the head antenna, added a VF-11C gunpod, also in training colors, and did the overall color scheme myself.

post-12411-0-01801200-1460884605_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-24386500-1460884609_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-95499700-1460884612_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-30794100-1460884617_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-82500200-1460884621_thumb.jpg

I'll be bringing this one to Shizuoka next month, too.

bloody beautiful mate! :wub: excellent work! B))

my only gripe (and its only minor) is the student and instructor decals I think would have looked better smaller say half their current size perhaps..? either way no complaints! ^_^

Edited by spanner76

I made them myself, and that was as small as I could get them.

Well, got to make it obvious in case of a crash-and-burn! :p

damnit... now I'm going to have to mess with one! It looks too good not too. The camera windows behind the instructor need to removing though. I'm sure those are the race camera ports for the TV coverage.

my only gripe (and its only minor) is the student and instructor decals I think would have looked better smaller say half their current size perhaps..? either way no complaints! ^_^

Damn, beat me to it. lol

If it were "realistic," it would have to be in white and fit along that black strip lining the canopy, right? That's TIIIINY.

I'm so in love with this bird. So sorely underused. And the colors are spot-on, too. <3

damnit... now I'm going to have to mess with one! It looks too good not too. The camera windows behind the instructor need to removing though. I'm sure those are the race camera ports for the TV coverage.

I debated in filling them in, but I just assumed they were extra sensor areas. I saw someone build it as a regular UN Spacy VF-11D, and they kept those windows intact, too.

I asked about that on FB. Perhaps the VT-11 wasn't originally a VT-11 but a modification for something and when that particular mission was done, the plane was modified for training duty (but some aspects of the previous mission, like those glass ports) remained but it's worth the time to fabricate blank covers? When I was stationed at Point Mugu in the mid 2000's I recall seeing the DC-130 that used by for Antarctic missions that ended in the early 90's and the plane was used by the civilians for weapons drones work... and the landing gear still had the skies on the nose. serves no purpose but nobody bothered to remove them (or more likely, they couldn't for some logistical reason)

• 2 weeks later...

I asked about that on FB. Perhaps the VT-11 wasn't originally a VT-11 but a modification for something and when that particular mission was done, the plane was modified for training duty (but some aspects of the previous mission, like those glass ports) remained but it's worth the time to fabricate blank covers? When I was stationed at Point Mugu in the mid 2000's I recall seeing the DC-130 that used by for Antarctic missions that ended in the early 90's and the plane was used by the civilians for weapons drones work... and the landing gear still had the skies on the nose. serves no purpose but nobody bothered to remove them (or more likely, they couldn't for some logistical reason)

When you get a batch of new anything military you get a handful of training versions, be it weapons, aircraft or LAVs so when the VF-11 was delivered to units, a handful of 2 seaters for conversion purposes would also be delivered. You were sent to the manufacturer for training up as a trainer then on return to your unit you became the Instructor and took the rest through FAM cses (Familiarisation Training and Conversion/Qualification Courses) to sign them off on competent use of the equipment. Its a fun holiday away from the Green and a perk of the job and rank (I got to go to Canada for mine). So the VF-11D would have been purpose build and the VF-11 Thunder Seeker with the windows would have been the converted/modified unit.

Wow!

A gorgeous bird Jefuemon.

by the way, what IS the pod that comes with the VF-11D? is it supposed to be a camera pod?

by the way, what IS the pod that comes with the VF-11D? is it supposed to be a camera pod?

Yes. It's a camera pod that comes with the Thunderfocus kit. The one I used in this was a VF-11C gunpod that came with the Club M VF-11B garage kit. I've already got an extra, proper B gunpod for that one.

That looks fantastic! Great interpretation of the training color scheme. How about a VT-0 next?

Which one to use, though, the 0-C or the 0-D? And what to call it? Need to look up other large, flightless birds.

Someone else can take that project, as I'm building a regular VF-0D next!

Which one to use, though, the 0-C or the 0-D? And what to call it? Need to look up other large, flightless birds.

I'm planning on stealing the nose from a VF-0D and swapping it for a VF-0S; resulting in a VF-0C [with an S head], and a VT-0 Auk.

assuming we're actually able to swap what appears to be a modular nose assembly?

Rheas are related to the ostrich and emu. I kinda like cassowary too :D

I'm planning on stealing the nose from a VF-0D and swapping it for a VF-0S; resulting in a VF-0C [with an S head], and a VT-0 Auk.

assuming we're actually able to swap what appears to be a modular nose assembly?

but..... why? The VF-0B is already the same airframe as the VF-0A and S with a two seater cockpit. So doing it your way will come out exactly the same.

The challenge is to do a VF-19D and a VF-22D

The VT-19 would be the Moa as its a big bird and the VT-22 the Kiwi as its so small

Edited by NZEOD

but..... why? The VF-0B is already the same airframe as the VF-0A and S with a two seater cockpit. So doing it your way will come out exactly the same.

The challenge is to do a VF-19D and a VF-22D

The VT-19 would be the Moa as its a big bird and the VT-22 the Kiwi as its so small

Doing it that way means I don't have to pay $100Canadian on Evilbay for a VF-0C [that I wasn't going to use the Hawks decals on anyhow], nor do I have to shell out on same marketplace for a VF-0B. so I'm saving money by purchasing in-production kits that I was going to paint completely other than the intended scheme/decals anyway.

more Cannon reasoning: Since they progressed onto the VF-1, it's obvious the UN preferred something about the VF-0 Swing-wing variants, so I'm making the logical [in the Macross universe in MY head-space anyhow] leap that the VF-0B would quickly have become the bird tasked for Gerwalk-Battroid/Transformation familiarization and training [Primary flight training would still have been conventional air frames in the VF-0 era], then they would pass up to the VF-0A. then onto a VF-1 Squadron if they lived that long...

then again, now I keep envisioning a VF-0D in Radome and Orange....

as far as post-Macross7 era goes... YF-19 IS a two-seater. I would assume the VF-19 would have that same option since the VF-25, -29, and the -31 series all seem to have continued this design. Even Brera's VF-27 had a second chair built-in.

I'm almost certain the last purpose-built two-seater variants would've been the VT-11 and the VF-17D, maybe a VF-14D.

The VF-22S is classed a special-ops variant... so I'm assuming one would have Veritech experience before you ever got near one... but I would LOVE to see a VT-22 all the same!

In the Master Files there is a VF-22D Two Seater Sturmvogel. Aside from the two seats it has a stretched body as well

The YF-19 has a back seat but thats it, what it needs a long cockpit for a more functional back seater with dual controls

Radome idea is good too!

Try Amazon for your Macross kits too, I have all the VF-0 series and got them from there. With the VF-0B and the Ghost A/S turning up this week

Edited by NZEOD

A T-Rex is a large flightless bird...

T-Rex had teeth... the VT series seem to be more trainer. Less fighter.