19 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Using a lot of actual darkness in a film - to the extent that the audience cant see -Β  is usually an indication that your props and effects aren't that that great. You know its true when the monster is only ever shown in brief poorly lit flashes that you cant focus on. Now days they can make scenes where its clear that things are happening at night, without blinding the audience.

Anyway surely they meant "Dark" in the sense of tone not lighting.

Β 

Haha i dont know if that signage is actually true or not. Thats why it was found on the interwerbsπŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

Yes, that pic could be a joke on the tone, or it could be actually down to the theater not having bright enough projectors to show it.

Now you pointed it out, am enjoying the wry joke which could imply either tone or physical brightness...πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Re-watched Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut on HBO Max this week and have to say Afflek's Batman is the best. Whodthunkit? Though Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne is the best too. Michael Keaton probably gets tops for both Batman/Bruce Wayne combined alter-egos though. But hey, that's just my opinion man :hi:

On 3/29/2022 at 12:59 AM, seti88 said:

Haha i dont know if that signage is actually true or not. Thats why it was found on the interwerbsπŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

Yes, that pic could be a joke on the tone, or it could be actually down to the theater not having bright enough projectors to show it.

Now you pointed it out, am enjoying the wry joke which could imply either tone or physical brightness...πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Maybe they need to clean the lens on the projector?

Saw it today. Thought it was dynamite. Β Passed all the other Batman films for me except MAYBE Dark Knight. Β 
The focus on his abilities as a detective were key for me, as well as the inclusion of Bruce as a narrator. Β That’s such a key component of the comics and so rarely used in the movies or TV.Β 

On 4/1/2022 at 10:31 PM, hutch said:

Saw it today. Thought it was dynamite. Β Passed all the other Batman films for me except MAYBE Dark Knight. Β 
The focus on his abilities as a detective were key for me, as well as the inclusion of Bruce as a narrator. Β That’s such a key component of the comics and so rarely used in the movies or TV.Β 

Exactly why this movie shines so well; I feel in order for Batman to be seen properly, he has to be the narrator and show us his world from his point of view. Also, without the skills he's developed as a detective, the rest just makes him a psychologically-damaged man beating the daylights out of criminals in an armored suit.

• 2 weeks later...

I re-introduced my 7 year old daughter to Batman with the 1989 film. She rarely watches live action films or anything non-CGI but it held her interest though she mentioned the gun shots sound effect used by Joker's henchmen sounded old, lol. It's been a while since I've seen the film myself and have to say the awesome Prince soundtrack made the film very unique in all the Batman films.

Just saw it. Wow. I really like this feel for Batman. Loved the feel of the movie. Just loved it.

The OG Keatn Batman will always be its own thing. Nolan's Batman will always hold a place in my heart. But this new one is something else all together.

Just finished it.

Kinda wish I hadn’t watched the animated Long Halloween movie, as it hits upon a few of the same story beats.

Definitely had a nice noir feel to it, and it’s nice to see Bats struggling a little to figure things out.

They finally did justice to Batman’s detective aspects in a live action film.

Watched it for first time last night....it was ok...nothing seemed to make it any better than the Nolan movies that came before it....it certainly gets the win for "grittiness"...so much so that it just became part of the shtick....I also found the use of the Nirvana track distracting, glad they only forced it into 2 scenes, although how it was interjected into the start of the movie had me worried for the rest of the movie, like I said....good thing it did not return until the end....

As a hot rodder I thought the Batmobile was fantastic! They even got the engine sounds right. It sounded like a GM LS motor (which it is) and you could hear the turbo's working in the background too. They really hit it out of the park there.

I have one major hot rod project in me before I die. I'm seriously considering doing a mid engine muscle car at this point. I'm either going to have to build a custom tube chassis and get a hold of a ZF transaxle. Or, maybe I can find a C8 Corvette that has been totaled at some point and use that as a base for building off of. I like the idea of the challenge. I'd use a supercharger opposed to turbo's (Batmobile is twin turbo) because of complexity, cooling, packaging driveability and reliability issues though.

Β 

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Watched it for first time last night....it was ok...nothing seemed to make it any better than the Nolan movies that came before it....it certainly gets the win for "grittiness"...so much so that it just became part of the shtick....I also found the use of the Nirvana track distracting, glad they only forced it into 2 scenes, although how it was interjected into the start of the movie had me worried for the rest of the movie, like I said....good thing it did not return until the end....

Β 

According to Wikipedia the director based this Bruce Wayne off Kurt Cobain which seems like such an odd choice seeing how Kurt took his own life and that Bruce Wayne is supposed to be more cheerful as a rich playboy so as it to keep his Batman identity a secret. That was one of my biggest complaints with this movie TBH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Batman_(film)

In portraying Bruce Wayne, Reeves wanted to depart from the traditional playboy and socialite; because he listened to the Nirvana song "Something in the Way" (1991) as he wrote the first act, he decided to base Bruce on reclusive Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. He took inspiration from the film Last Days (2005), which features a fictionalized version of Cobain living in a "decaying manor".[48] The Godfather (1972) character Michael Corleone also influenced Reeves' take on Bruce.

7 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Β 

Β 

According to Wikipedia the director based this Bruce Wayne off Kurt Cobain which seems like such an odd choice seeing how Kurt took his own life and that Bruce Wayne is supposed to be more cheerful as a rich playboy so as it to keep his Batman identity a secret. That was one of my biggest complaints with this movie TBH.

In portraying Bruce Wayne, Reeves wanted to depart from the traditional playboy and socialite; because he listened to the Nirvana song "Something in the Way" (1991) as he wrote the first act, he decided to base Bruce on reclusive Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. He took inspiration from the film Last Days (2005), which features a fictionalized version of Cobain living in a "decaying manor".[48] The Godfather (1972) character Michael Corleone also influenced Reeves' take on Bruce.

I think that's just taking the cream off the top. Cobain is not, and should not be defined by taking his own life. That is something he did. Not who he was (admittedly there is a little overlap of course). Cobain was depressed, tortured, had a lot of baggage, etc. Cobain was also very influenced by the lack of justice in society. He was also very wealthy (not billionaire wealthy, but extremely well off). That's not too far from how a real life Bruce Wayne would be is it? Parents murdered. Isolated and alone. No justice for his parents. Depressed. I can see where there is an argument for a parallel between Wayne and Cobain. Not a 1: 1 ratio. But enough to lay groundwork with.Β 

How could you be a young Bruce Wayne and not trend toward depression and nihilism? He even said while by Alfred's bedside he wasn't afraid of dying. That is s statement that someone with depression and a nihilistic outlook makes. Because they really aren't scared of dying. It's only one step away from suicide. I know all of this through experience. Painful horrible experience.Β 

I actually was impressed that by the end of the movie he was moving on from "vengeance" to something else. That to me shows that a young Bruce was working his way through his despair and beginning the transformation into the Batman that everyone is used to. I see him having to go through this stage of despair for him to be able to turn into the mature Bruce Wayne. You can't create the latter without having the former.

Saw the movie yesterday and I'm not that fond of it. Pacing was a big issue, IMO. It could have been done in two hours. Especially if they lopped off some of that ending.

Spoiler

Batman seems largely impotent in thwarting the Riddler. Only partially stopping his final scheme with his minions. Had the Riddler not purposefully given up his position when shooting John Turturro his plan would have entirely succeeded as they wouldn't have found his hideout with his final plan. Batman keeps figuring out the Riddler's riddles and cyphers, but that doesn't affect anything until the very end and it should have more effect. Even then Batman didn't figure out a riddle to stop the minions. He ripped out a carpet which revealed a password.

Regarding that ending. I thought the Riddler only wanted to stop the criminal and corrupt officials of the city. Suddenly he wants to kill everyone? To me it was inconsistent as even Batman noted that the Riddler didn't try to kill Gordon earlier because he wasn't a crook.

Β 

Edited by pablumatic

1 hour ago, pablumatic said:

Saw the movie yesterday and I'm not that fond of it. Pacing was a big issue, IMO. It could have been done in two hours. Especially if they lopped off some of that ending.

Β  Reveal hidden contents

Batman seems largely impotent in thwarting the Riddler. Only partially stopping his final scheme with his minions. Had the Riddler not purposefully given up his position when shooting John Turturro his plan would have entirely succeeded as they wouldn't have found his hideout with his final plan. Batman keeps figuring out the Riddler's riddles and cyphers, but that doesn't affect anything until the very end and it should have more effect. Even then Batman didn't figure out a riddle to stop the minions. He ripped out a carpet which revealed a password.

Regarding that ending. I thought the Riddler only wanted to stop the criminal and corrupt officials of the city. Suddenly he wants to kill everyone? To me it was inconsistent as even Batman noted that the Riddler didn't try to kill Gordon earlier because he wasn't a crook.

Β 

I'm not suggesting you're wrong. It'sΒ  matter of taste I suppose. I like not being beat over the head with fast pacing and action sequence after action sequence. Alien, which I'm sure everyone can agree is one of the greats, had very slow pacing as an example of how tat can be a positive.

I think that's why there days I like high end "TV" shows more than movies. I'd rather have the story and characters fleshed out over 8-12 1hr episodes opposed to cramming them into 1.5-3.0hrs of movie.Β 

Β 

Β 

8 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

They may take a few years, and another movie, before he becomes playboy Bruce. This is just year two after all, and he's just found out that vengeance doesn't care about justice.

I kinda like the approach they took to Bruce and his mission; being more obsessed with vengeance, more about being Batman than being Bruce Wayne and keeping up appearances at this stage of being Batman. He's just beginning to realize the things his family tried to do to help the city so they should focus on expanding that.

For the next movie, I would like them to start introducing the billionaire playboy philanthropist who uses the Wayne Foundation to better the lives of Gotham. As I mentioned above, the next movie should have this Bruce start streamlining the Bat-suit into more of something closer to the modern depiction of the Bat-suit. Fatter ears for a start (to incorporate the radio into his cowl).Β  Β 

• sh9000 changed the title to The Batman Movies
56 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Why does pegbuzz keep posting then deleting??

Chris

I think he’s just worried that he may have said some things that may come off as being offensive. Sometimes when we make comments we say things that may not seem that bad at the time and upon rereading or someone pointing things out we realize that maybe it could be.Β 

Β Not gonna lie, I’ve been there and maybe I should take a few things I’ve said back, but I’m a bit on the lazy side and don’t. We all get a bit passionate and sometimes overly passionate about the things that interest us

Β We are all friends here, but the rules of the forum are a bit different than the rules at a bar.

Β For his real reason, you’re gonna have to ask him personallyΒ 

1 hour ago, hutch said:

If I had Hollywood money I'd produce a 1966 Batman inspired film with a wild ensemble cast using similar costume designs and action though it would be more comedy really, not unllike the Batman LEGO movie.

Or... go full noir with a black & white Batman film that takes place in the early 1940s.

Subscribe for more of my crazy ideas for future Batman films, lol.

Β 

Β