11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Agree that the majority of characters were less memorable than other films within the genre. I liked Jeffery Wright as Lt. Gordon. I don't think he was promoted to Commissioner yet. But I liked that he was pretty much Batman's only ally on the police force, and b/c of his position, he was able to use his authority to allow Batman into crime scenes, even if it does seriously violate crime scene preservation protocols. I liked that you knew he was sticking his neck out for Batman, although why that is isn't explained. A little history for that trust would have been nice, but maybe we'll see that in the sequel.

I didn't like how Riddler was portrayed at all- they went too far afield from the traditional character, and I wasn't crazy about it. That said, I don't want Jim Carrey's interpretation either. Ugh!  I thought they nailed it in Arkham Asylum- those games were pitch perfect for characterization.

Bruce Wayne was a bit under-represented, but given the character's history and previous exploration in various films and other media, I think we the audience understand the essentials. 

Hide contents

I liked the orphan plotline, and the extremes between Bruce's upbringing and Edward's. Too, learning some sobering truths about Bruce's father along with him. Finally, his change of heart from the beginning of the film where he's vengeance personified to becoming more of a savior for the people of Gotham. There was definitely an element of growth to Bruce Wayne's character, even if he was wearing the Batsuit through most of it. 

The Tumbler is indeed an awesome Batmobile- so unique and recognizable- it can't be mistaken as anything else, and I love that the filming vehicle was practical; it did many of the stunts we see in the film.  The Batman's car just really didn't do much for me. As I've said, it felt more like a Fast & Furious car than a Batmobile to me. 

I think part of the entire point to this version of Bruce Wayne was that there was nothing to him. At this stage of his development, Bruce Wayne was just an empty shell, with Batman being the real persona. I think from here, the building of the man we know as Bruce begins.

9 hours ago, sh9000 said:

The Penguin coming soon to HBO Max.

Yup (and I still can't believe it's Colin Farrell under all that).

Too bad, I heard the Gotham P.D. spinoff they were working on got canned.  Maybe superficially similar in theme to the Fox Gotham, but instead of being set early in Gordon's career and right after the Waynes got killed, it was going to be set about a year before The Batman and would have been more like a Year One kind of thing.

Apparently a show about Arkham Asylum may be in the works.  And, while it's still just a discussion, there's apparently some interest in a show based on Zoe Kravitz' Catwoman.

• azrael changed the title to The Batman and Penguin Spinoff Series
  • sh9000 changed the title to The Batman

Anyone notice they have kind of stepped away from Batman’s cape looking like bat wings. BvS, Justice League, and now The Batman the cape just appears to be a regular cape except for 1 or 2 CG moments. Kind of disappointing to me.

Chris

11 hours ago, Dobber said:

Anyone notice they have kind of stepped away from Batman’s cape looking like bat wings. BvS, Justice League, and now The Batman the cape just appears to be a regular cape except for 1 or 2 CG moments. Kind of disappointing to me.

Chris

Yes, and I also found it a bit disappointing. But this is still supposed to be Batman early in his career, I suppose it could be a detail they add in a sequel.

5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Yes, and I also found it a bit disappointing. But this is still supposed to be Batman early in his career, I suppose it could be a detail they add in a sequel.

Yeah; it's entirely possible that they want "room for improvement" to be a theme over the next few movies. Bruce finds out through trial and error as well as felt needs out in the field for equipment he needs and stuff that doesn't work so well. and we see Batman take shape even further.

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah; it's entirely possible that they want "room for improvement" to be a theme over the next few movies. Bruce finds out through trial and error as well as felt needs out in the field for equipment he needs and stuff that doesn't work so well. and we see Batman take shape even further.

Reeves and Pattinson did say The Batman is supposed to be the first of a trilogy...

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Reeves and Pattinson did say The Batman is supposed to be the first of a trilogy...

The it's going to be interesting where they take this; I'd love to see how they handle the Joker, Bane, and Ra's Al Ghul, for example.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

I guess the confusion is with this movie being called “The Batman “. I guess due to the title some old folks thought they meant Adam West

And old folks are what? Expecting a Bat-Dance scene...

200w.gif.da7694c25c136aeab063c6bb9db8f29a.gif

or something...?

9hG8.gif.8759e5ca3d8f3e8e83a5a50b41af36a4.gif

:lol: 

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

And old folks are what? Expecting a Bat-Dance scene...

200w.gif.da7694c25c136aeab063c6bb9db8f29a.gif

or something...?

9hG8.gif.8759e5ca3d8f3e8e83a5a50b41af36a4.gif

:lol: 

And this is why he’s “THE” Batman instead of just another Batman or dark knight or whatever. I mean Keaton didn’t dance and most didn’t even get a boy wonder. And the amount of deaths he was able to avoid vs the almost complete destruction and near collapse of society that happen in most Batman films since

16 hours ago, Big s said:

I guess the confusion is with this movie being called “The Batman “. I guess due to the title some old folks thought they meant Adam West

😄 yeah i suppose seniors would be the demographic that would complain abt too dark of a theater.

That said, some oldies are used to the dark. Easier on the electricity bills.

Edited by seti88

On 3/19/2022 at 8:22 AM, seti88 said:

abt too dark of a theater.

Using a lot of actual darkness in a film - to the extent that the audience cant see -  is usually an indication that your props and effects aren't that that great. You know its true when the monster is only ever shown in brief poorly lit flashes that you cant focus on. Now days they can make scenes where its clear that things are happening at night, without blinding the audience.

Anyway surely they meant "Dark" in the sense of tone not lighting.

3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Using a lot of actual darkness in a film - to the extent that the audience cant see -  is usually an indication that your props and effects aren't that that great. You know its true when the monster is only ever shown in brief poorly lit flashes that you cant focus on. Now days they can make scenes where its clear that things are happening at night, without blinding the audience.

Anyway surely they meant "Dark" in the sense of tone not lighting.

No, I think they meant literally dark.  And while, yes, darkness could be used to cover for bad props/effects, I think it's a deliberate choice on The Batman that's used for effect.  There are couple of instances where a scene is very dark, but then there's a sudden light source like a flashlight or headlights that's aimed directly at the camera- it's meant to be a jarring transition. In the first half of the movie, Batman's scenes are all at night.  There's also a scene with Bruce, one of the first times he's out of costume, where he puts on sunglasses in the house because the morning sun coming through the windows is too bright for him.  This is a parallel with Bruce's mindset at the time.

Spoiler

As the film progresses his relationships with Gordon and Selena and Alfred's brush with death and the realization of what he nearly lost start to bring Bruce out of that dark place, and Batman starts to appear in brighter scenes, like when he meets Selena on the roof at what appears to be early morning.  This culminates with Bruce realizing he needs to be more than just vengeance.  He uses a flare as he's rescuing the people in the flooded arena, literally becoming a light in the dark.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

No, I think they meant literally dark.  And while, yes, darkness could be used to cover for bad props/effects, I think it's a deliberate choice on The Batman that's used for effect.  There are couple of instances where a scene is very dark, but then there's a sudden light source like a flashlight or headlights that's aimed directly at the camera- it's meant to be a jarring transition. In the first half of the movie, Batman's scenes are all at night.  There's also a scene with Bruce, one of the first times he's out of costume, where he puts on sunglasses in the house because the morning sun coming through the windows is too bright for him.  This is a parallel with Bruce's mindset at the time.

Reveal hidden contents

As the film progresses his relationships with Gordon and Selena and Alfred's brush with death and the realization of what he nearly lost start to bring Bruce out of that dark place, and Batman starts to appear in brighter scenes, like when he meets Selena on the roof at what appears to be early morning.  This culminates with Bruce realizing he needs to be more than just vengeance.  He uses a flare as he's rescuing the people in the flooded arena, literally becoming a light in the dark.

Or, you know, the theater is trying to be cheap and didn’t replace the overdue light bulb of their projector…

…I could see the movie just fine. :lol: