I really liked this movie, checked it out again over the weekend on HBO Max and it's definitely a solid Bat-Man film. I'd put it above Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises, not as good as Dark Knight, but still a really good Batman film. Taking inspiration from Long Halloween was a good call, we'll see about yet another cinematic Joker, he came off as a bit been-there-done-that, but we'll see. 

I watched The Batman again over the weekend, too.  The nearly 3-hour run time wasn't quite as easy to ignore on a rewatch, but there was a lot of stuff I appreciated more, like the use of lighting to reflect Bruce's emotional/mental growth and the visual parallels between Batman and Riddler (both had scenes where they walk into frame and the camera is focused on their boots, both had scenes using binoculars to spy through windows, etc.  I still love Pattinson's Batman- at times quiet, at times violent, like he can barely keep his rage in check.  I liked that the story played on Batman's abilities as a detective and not just a guy who puts on a cape and beats up people in the night.  I think Pattinson's Bruce Wayne, still so scarred by his parents' murder, was good for this film, but I'll be curious to see if he can play the more social philanthropist he destined to become.  I liked Jeffrey Wright as Gordon, and Zoe Kravitz as Selina Kyle worked better than I thought from just the previews.  Colin Ferrell's Penguin was fantastic.  Ironically, the only performance I didn't really care for was John Turturro's Carmine Falcone.  To be totally fair to him, though, I don't think that's entirely his fault.  I just prefer the more Godfather-esque depictions, like John Doman's performance on Gotham; Turturro's Falcone struck me as more like the tracksuit-wearing low-level mook that would work for the Don, not the Don himself.  And the car!  Yes, it wasn't an all-terrain military vehicle like the Tumbler or a tank like the Snyderverse or Arkham Knight, it was just a car... but one that oozes menace and relentlessness.

I'll need to go back and re-watch The Dark Knight.  It was definitely a good film with an excellent take on the Joker, but I think I might prefer The Batman.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:52 AM, hutch said:
On 4/25/2022 at 10:24 AM, TangledThorns said:

If I had Hollywood money I'd produce a 1966 Batman inspired film with a wild ensemble cast using similar costume designs and action though it would be more comedy really, not unllike the Batman LEGO movie.

Or... go full noir with a black & white Batman film that takes place in the early 1940s.

Subscribe for more of my crazy ideas for future Batman films, lol.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, Thom said:

That was utterly brilliant! I would now love to see whoever made that do the full three hour treatment!

Fantastic!

On 4/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, pengbuzz said:

I'd pay to see that! :lol:

On 4/25/2022 at 6:05 PM, Thom said:

And now I want to get the 60's Batmobile and beef it up to match that scene!

This is how they 'made' the said bigger bomb. ;) 

2 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I watched The Batman last night.  I really did not like it,  It was so dark all the time.  I just think an Island can not really exist under sea level,  I can see why there are so many criminals.  If I had to live in that weather all the time I would be crabby too.

That was kinda my issue with the film. It's well made I did feel like I had to strain my eyes to see the action.

On that note I'm re-watching the Nolan Batman trilogy and it made me think the main reason many like The Batman more is that it has way more Batman and less Bruce Wayne on the screen. I bet if you timed and compared films you'll find The Batman has significant more Batman screentime than the Nolan directed films.

I can only recall four Bruce scenes from The Batman:

* His first return to the Batcave/basement scene;

* The brief morning after scene where him and Alfred figure out the drive code;

* The funeral scene; and

* The Iceberg Lounge scene.

Definitely a lot less than any of the Nolan films.  Which goes with how the Bruce in this film doesn’t give a damn about his Bruce persona or any of those aspects of his life.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

I can only recall four Bruce scenes from The Batman:

* His first return to the Batcave/basement scene;

* The brief morning after scene where him and Alfred figure out the drive code;

* The funeral scene; and

* The Iceberg Lounge scene.

Definitely a lot less than any of the Nolan films.  Which goes with how the Bruce in this film doesn’t give a damn about his Bruce persona or any of those aspects of his life.

You missed the hospital scene with Alfred. ;) 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

The movie is called The Batman, not The Bruce

But Nolan’s Bats knew when to utilize Bruce to further his Bat-goals, like using Wayne Enterprises to make his suit and the Tumbler or whisking away those hot ballerinas so he had an excuse to “extradited” the Asian banker for the mafia.

Pattinson’s Bats hasn’t figured out how to utilize his Bruce Wayne resources just yet.

42 minutes ago, Thom said:

Very cool for what's there. If they put the other cars, I just hope they leave out the Batman Forever batmobile.

I don’t know how anyone can keep a secret lair using a car that looks like a drug fueled rave on wheels 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • azrael changed the title to The Batman
  • sh9000 changed the title to The Batman Part 1 & 2
  • 1 year later...

My only interest in this film is the new Batmobile, and if there will be a new one... 

Otherwise the whole Batman lore now is like cereal in a super market... just endless half empty boxes...