The "Song of Destruction"

bsu legato

With 2 episodes left in Macross: Zero, I've got a sneaking suspicion we'll get to hear this "Song of Destruction" that Sara fears so much. The discovery of Mao's "treasure," Sara's rock floating antics, the "blood" from APHOS matching the island shaman's bloodline....all of the pieces are starting to fall into place. But like a puzzle that you've lost to box to, it's difficult to figure out just what we're piecing together. Let's put our noggins together and see if we can come up with an answer, sort of a "Unified Protoculture/APHOS theory." If anybody has the fansubs handy and is feeling ambitious, transcripts of any and all relavent dialog would be muy-muy appreciated.

Personally, I'm beginning to believe that this "Song" will in fact turn out to be the very thing that attracts the Zentradi to our solar system in the first place. APHOS sings/broadcasts it's beacon, and the Zentradi show up and lay waste to the planet. Prophecy fulfilled.

I'm leaning on some kind of beacon being sounded in this one too.

May be a precipitating factor to get the ASS-1 rebuilt into the SDF-1. It sounds in M0 like they are still just studying it, and adapting everything they can from it.

Edited by Anubis

Didn't it take like 10 years to rebuild? I thought they had been doing it since nearly after it crashed.

Well, maybe get it flight ready. I'm sure they were repairing it as they studied it so they could assimilate everything they could from it.

BSU, that sounds like a good theory. It does sound like much of the mythological stuff from the island is dimly remembered references to concrete phenomena. But can you refresh my memory as to the exact context(s) in which Sara refers to the Song? Or approximate time(s) in which episode(s)?

I think it's actually a death metal tape in somebody's walkman. :p

For my money, it's "Stagefright" from that other show...that's enough to make anyone desperate enough to do anything to get it to stop :p

BSU, that sounds like a good theory. It does sound like much of the mythological stuff from the island is dimly remembered references to concrete phenomena. But can you refresh my memory as to the exact context(s) in which Sara refers to the Song? Or approximate time(s) in which episode(s)?

At the end of the first episode when Shin is running off to save Mao, Sara sees the VFs and SVs fighting and ponders something along the lines of "when the bird humans appear again, the song of destruction will echo through the world."

She talks about it in the second episode when everyone is in the cave listening to the legend. At the end of the legend where Roikanu and Roiwaku have children, and Roiwaku leaves, Roikanu calls for her to return but she says that the day she does return the song of destruction will spread throughout the world.

Hmm, now that I think about it, it could possibly apply to the arrival of the Macross itself.

I'm sure the death song is Planet Dance... I for sure would kill myself if I hear that crap again!! I hope the AFOS doesn't sing like Basara... that would suck!! however if somebody removed his head and left it on the sea was because the thing sings just like that! ARRRGGHHH!!! my ears!!! :lol: