Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 2 - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 2: Ready for the Audition  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (GIRI GIRI EYE ikenai BORDERLINE!)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Less AKB48, More Macross-y)

Wasn't also in Gundam where Newtypes were beginning to be perceived as threats because of their ESPer abilities? Maybe I'm cross referencing pop culture franchises....

Not exactly Zeon Zum Deikun's Newtype theory without scientific basis at all proposed Newtypes are the next phase of human evolution and thus should lead humanity. In Contolism humanity should leave Earth as they won't evolve without going to space. As seen in future eras that is bullcrap human bodies degenerate being long term in colonies and majority wise not Newtypes.

Crossbones manga gives an a perspective Newtype ability is something that primitive humanity had but eventually lost.

Back to Macross Earth humans lost their Fold Receptor Factor due to Protoculture interference but given the near extinction event spared bloodlines with the ability would become noticeable like Basara. Also Human-Zentradi hybrids may have potential to have the factor like Mylene and Emilia. Fold Receptor Factor may also account the low level telepathy we've seen in the franchise like Mylene with Gubaba and Zolans with Catsnakes.

In any case the NUN has seen the tactical advantage of gathering those with the factor to deal with Out of Context threats like the Protodevlin, the Vajra and now with the Var syndrome.

Edited by RedWolf

I liked the episode but I wonder: what qualifies Hayate to be a fighter pilot in the Delta Squadron? I mean he is not a fighter pilot. Was his maneuver to save Freya that impressive that Arad noticed his potential to be an ace pilot (I assume Delta Squadron consist of ace pilots)? His whole attitude he showed on the flight deck of the Quarter seems to disqualify him as a soldier (insists on doing stuff his way, not respecting the chain of command, etc.). The stunt with the wind showed that he has guts but what got him the invitation from Arad? (sorry if this was discussed already)

I'd say that he does see some potential in Hayate. However, there may be an ulterior motive here... Since synchronized valkyrie dancing is now a thing :shudder:, he has some extra value that may be realized for the team.

My sentiments as well, save for the shudder. :p Probably they're operating on how well he seems to work with Freyja. Sync ratio, compatibility, etc.

Scyla----Hayate seems less anti-military than Basara at least, yet Basara's talent was considered so important they created a VF-19 variant just for him and let him "do whatever he wanted" even when it interfered with the military operations. So in the Macross universe-----anyone can be a pilot in an elite squadron, provided they have an exceptional skill.

I liked the episode but I wonder: what qualifies Hayate to be a fighter pilot in the Delta Squadron? I mean he is not a fighter pilot. Was his maneuver to save Freya that impressive that Arad noticed his potential to be an ace pilot (I assume Delta Squadron consist of ace pilots)? His whole attitude he showed on the flight deck of the Quarter seems to disqualify him as a soldier (insists on doing stuff his way, not respecting the chain of command, etc.). The stunt with the wind showed that he has guts but what got him the invitation from Arad? (sorry if this was discussed already)

he's a cocky kid with blue hair and a lot of attitude, that's basically all the qualification you need to be an elite pilot in Macross.

Edited by anime52k8

The Chaos staff seem to think that Hayate has significant natural talent, and Arad's mission seems to be to round off the rough edges and beat the insubordinate attitude out of him through some intense training. Messer and Mirage seem to be his chosen instruments for said beating, though they seem to have somewhat underestimated the power of his intent to slack off on things he's not interested in. Part of it you could say is a calculated attempt to snare him by his passion for flight and use that to keep his nose to the grindstone.

(To be fair, Hayate's attitude on the Elysion's deck would've disqualified him as a soldier... but Chaos isn't a military, and only dubiously a PMC. The organization spends most of its time shepherding civilians anyway, so they probably have a bit more patience than most.)

Plus, let's not forget, Arad seems to be genuinely amused by Hayate. I'm sure his reasoning will be explained later on, surely Messer will want one.

Thanks for the replies. I had to post my opinion because it really stood out to me. I don't have a problem with all the stuff around Walkruere since it all makes sense to me but I don't get what qualifies him as a pilot. I can see the comparisons with other pilots in Macross are valid but Hikaru and Alto can at least fly an aircraft and Basara is shown to be a capable pilot for the get go.

Him being on the same planet as the Chaos HQ also doesn't seem very logical. I mean traveling from one planet to another seems to be a bit excessive to see Freya fail or did I get something wrong? If I remember correctly he seems rather surprised that someone from Chaos wants so see him so I guess he didn't get an invitation after the events from episode 1.

It probably didn't help that I haven't seen episode 1 in full yet since the stream I watched bolted some scenes from episode 1 onto the beginning of 2 so it was a rough transition.

Maybe it will make more sense with episode 3.

It is funny that this little tidbit took me out of the experience compared with other viewers. :)

It probably didn't help that I haven't seen episode 1 in full yet since the stream I watched bolted some scenes from episode 1 onto the beginning of 2 so it was a rough transition.

You might want to watch episode 1 first, then.

Scyla----Hayate seems less anti-military than Basara at least, yet Basara's talent was considered so important they created a VF-19 variant just for him and let him "do whatever he wanted" even when it interfered with the military operations. So in the Macross universe-----anyone can be a pilot in an elite squadron, provided they have an exceptional skill.

Basara isn't anti-military tough nor is he pro-military. What is important for him is for everyone to stop fighting and listen to his song.

Mind you the current brass didn't believe the Minmay Attack would work ever again but Basara proved them wrong. Sound Force and Diamond Force started the setup of Singers sings Pilots fight as emphasized by Sheryl.

We see the evolution of that into Walkure and Delta Platoon.

Now Kaifun he was anti-military because he was an ass.

Edited by RedWolf

Basara isn't anti-military tough nor is he pro-military. What is important for him is for everyone to stop fighting and listen to his song.

Mind you the current brass didn't believe the Minmay Attack would work ever again but Basara proved them wrong. Sound Force and Diamond Force started the setup of Singers sings Pilots fight as emphasized by Sheryl.

We see the evolution of that into Walkure and Delta Platoon.

Now Kaifun he was anti-military because he was an ass.

Basara is pro-"listening to my song" and anti-"not listening to my song".

Thanks for the replies. I had to post my opinion because it really stood out to me. I don't have a problem with all the stuff around Walkruere since it all makes sense to me but I don't get what qualifies him as a pilot. I can see the comparisons with other pilots in Macross are valid but Hikaru and Alto can at least fly an aircraft and Basara is shown to be a capable pilot for the get go.

Him being on the same planet as the Chaos HQ also doesn't seem very logical. I mean traveling from one planet to another seems to be a bit excessive to see Freya fail or did I get something wrong? If I remember correctly he seems rather surprised that someone from Chaos wants so see him so I guess he didn't get an invitation after the events from episode 1.

Maybe it will make more sense with episode 3.

It is funny that this little tidbit took me out of the experience compared with other viewers. :)

In episode one hayate mentioned that he knows someone in the interplanetary shipping business and that's how he gets around and with him just being fired from his most recent job as dock loader it doesn't seem that far fetched that Hayate used his connections and newly acquired freedom to help Freyja get to Ragna and most likely find something new to do on the planet as well.

• 3 months later...

Little late to the party, but so far I'am a little underwhelmed with this series. But I'm only 2 episodes in. By the way, does anyobe know the song that plays during the news coverage of the auditions? Right before they let Freyja sighn up.