8 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

For those looking to create or order a display case here are the dimensions from the Hachette site:

44.5cm × 115cm x 36cm
Might be able to cheat and save a little $ as theirs looks a little oversized.

Once mine is finished I'll get some more accurate measurements.
952658813_ScreenShot2021-03-10at7_07_02PM.thumb.png.dadba90fa783f6993d26944f196b0e8e.png
My friend suggested a screencap printed starfield background and that got me really psyched, lol!  

I'll let you guys know if I find anything reasonable.
Who knows maybe we can do a small group buy.

But might just end up using lucite/heat gun/3d printing.

A starfield background would be dope! But yeah, any info you find would be great.

Ugh, issue 104 is a doozy.

20 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

For those looking to create or order a display case here are the dimensions from the Hachette site:

44.5cm × 115cm x 36cm
Might be able to cheat and save a little $ as theirs looks a little oversized.

Once mine is finished I'll get some more accurate measurements.
952658813_ScreenShot2021-03-10at7_07_02PM.thumb.png.dadba90fa783f6993d26944f196b0e8e.png
My friend suggested a screencap printed starfield background and that got me really psyched, lol!  

I'll let you guys know if I find anything reasonable.
Who knows maybe we can do a small group buy.

But might just end up using lucite/heat gun/3d printing.

Yes! please share what you end up with.

Yeah, this thing is just too big!
And living by a refinery and airport the dust and particle level in my apartment is significant.

It's been years since I looked at custom display cases but looks like custom sizes are still way marked up.
I've heard the reason is if a case has the slightest "tiny" defect or blemish the customer will demand it be redone, and totally loose the perspective of preserving the piece.
Then you are out time & materials because of one tiny scratch.

I've used lexan/acrylic before to build molds for resin casting and the assembly process really isn't that difficult.

My next option is to reach out to someone local and mention that the case doesn't have to be "perfect" 

Could always build it ourselves. Take your dimensions to the hardware store, or wherever in the area sells/cuts plexi, and glue it all together. If you're not worried about some dodgy edges and just preserving the model, it would serve well enough.

https://makesharelearn.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/diy-project-acrylic-display-case/

Edited by Thom

11 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

It's been years since I looked at custom display cases but looks like custom sizes are still way marked up.
I've heard the reason is if a case has the slightest "tiny" defect or blemish the customer will demand it be redone, and totally loose the perspective of preserving the piece.
Then you are out time & materials because of one tiny scratch.

No - the reason is that it can not be mass produced and instead has to be done as a one off.  

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Neee ha-made it to last issue without breaking anything!

20210317_000939.thumb.jpg.a8afbcb6577d53f4ce05e54ddd70304f.jpg

I posted more pics here.  It's not perfect, and there are couple of issues I'm still trying to improve, but it's still a great model.

Those photos look amazing!  Great job and thanks for sharing :good:

6 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Neee ha-made it to last issue without breaking anything!

20210317_000939.thumb.jpg.a8afbcb6577d53f4ce05e54ddd70304f.jpg

I posted more pics here.  It's not perfect, and there are couple of issues I'm still trying to improve, but it's still a great model.

Very nice. A bit weird with the gaps, but it looks like you conquered them good. Nice idea with the velcro.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the issue I messed up (AA mechanism) and have drilled out the AA guns that had broken pegs in the bottom.  Electronics tested, so far most everything works...Not sure about the side torpedoes though.  I need to re-solder one of the light boards for the wing lights and then fit the drilled out turrets (would rather have a new issue #079).  Was pretty stoked how well the 3rd bridge opening mechanism worked.  Otherwise done through issue #95.  Hope to finish it this month.  Then will see what I can come up with regarding the subscription-exclusives, and figure out if I want to start the Andromeda and whether I to keep up with the Macross one (I've abandoned it around #50...and one of the wings doesn't work).

That said, my entire 2nd set 001-110 will be going up on EBay soon.  Likely going to be 11 boxes to ship.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend had the same issue with the torpedo doors.  He tried to replace the circuit board with a replacement issue but it still wasn't working.  So he took another look at the limit switch and it turns out that after he cut back the heat shrink the wire had broken inside but was still held on with the heat shrink.  He is still working on fixing it but will post if there are any updates.  Hope that helps!  

14a0cdd1-bea2-44ac-bbd5-cc65c86f18a5.thumb.jpg.6026fea4e58fe00a3fef5c74d3282b62.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been able to get their anchors to go up all the way like in the promo video? (screen cap below)

I don't think I will ever be able to as my chains when they go up will randomly rest at different lengths.
Afraid the chain will snap, such a bummer...

1692926761_ScreenShot2021-04-28at8_35_19AM.thumb.png.a44b457ec590fdff49a1950e85d5c5bf.png

Edited by oshanmacross

I will end up trimming the anchor after much testing.  I still need to do 109 and fix a couple previous issues. 

Has anyone else gotten a binders for the manuals?  I'm disappointed they only hold 15 books.  Plenty of empty space remaining.  I'd rather they hold 20-25. 

On 4/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, easnoddy said:

I will end up trimming the anchor after much testing.  I still need to do 109 and fix a couple previous issues. 

Has anyone else gotten a binders for the manuals?  I'm disappointed they only hold 15 books.  Plenty of empty space remaining.  I'd rather they hold 20-25. 

I've seen generic binders before very similar that hold more at some of the Japanese stationary stores that used to be around here in LA.
Been looking but found nothing similar online.

On 4/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, oshanmacross said:

Here are some pics to what i was referring to, I'm really reluctant to trim the chains so the anchors rest all the way up in position.
I see the chain breaking or the motor blowing up when they randomly decide to stop at different heights.
But if anyone found a solution, I'm all ears!

I'm gonna try trimming my chains when I get back.  I don't think they'll break, and I have a hunch the motor stops reeling at the first sign of resistance.  I'll be sure to let you know.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, easnoddy said:

Has anyone else gotten a binders for teahe manuals?  I'm disappointed they only hold 15 books.  Plenty of empty space remaining.  I'd rather they hold 20-25. 

I bought only one binder and I too thought they could hold more issues than 15.  After that, I decided it was a waste of cash, so I stopped looking for them.

For anyone else who has completed the Yamato, did you have a resulting gap between the AAA gun deck and the rest of hull panels beneath it?  It's the biggest complaint I have about the kit.

I still have to do 109 (I also have a couple fix issues to get from HLJ), but my test fit is similar.  Especially under the aft main battery like yours.  Part of the issue may be the bulkhead before the fighter bay.  When I'm done with the wiring I'll try my best to deal with the gap.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of paint to get to touch up some of the blue parts?  I have a couple stress marks on bits hanging off the tower.

Edited by easnoddy