2 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

So fansubs are out for the first two episodes.

I didn't wanna go this route.

Most of us didn't but that's what we were dealt with.

I've watched the fansub and... well, it's good enough to get the major points of the story but far from perfect. I've been making a set of subs for myself and a couple of friends, translated from the Italian subtitled stream. Given those are from an official legitimate release, I have deferred to them when I find diverging dialogue. The fansub did save me the trouble of having to make the subtitles from scratch, as it gave me a set of pre-timed files. episode 1 was already done when these came along but episode 2 has been fast-tracked thanks to this. The most annoying aspect of the fansub is that they didn't fix the Russian naming for Gatlantis of gatlantean (the English fansub was made using a Russian fansub as its starting point), resulting in Gatlantov and Gatlantic and such. Other bits of dialogue were a bit over simplified. But as I said, they get the point across. At least people can finally have a grasp of what's going on until Bandai Visual and Voyager decide to step up. Though I'm not gonna hold my breath on that...

I'm not too proud to say that I went the fansub route either, but oh well.  "When" Bandai Visual finally decides to open this up to those of us outside of Japan, I'll gladly support it legitimately.  

Meanwhile....THOSE TWO EPISODES ARE FRAKKING AWESOME...

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I'm going to wait till all the episodes are out. If there is no official subtitles by then I'll watch the fansubs. Their loss and by loss I mean money.

I agree. Im a little bummed because I was REALLY looking forward to seeing this. I even recently re-watched the last series in order to prepare for this one. Oh well. 

On 5/10/2017 at 6:54 AM, westfall said:

Most of us didn't but that's what we were dealt with.

I've watched the fansub and... well, it's good enough to get the major points of the story but far from perfect. I've been making a set of subs for myself and a couple of friends, translated from the Italian subtitled stream. Given those are from an official legitimate release, I have deferred to them when I find diverging dialogue. The fansub did save me the trouble of having to make the subtitles from scratch, as it gave me a set of pre-timed files. episode 1 was already done when these came along but episode 2 has been fast-tracked thanks to this. The most annoying aspect of the fansub is that they didn't fix the Russian naming for Gatlantis of gatlantean (the English fansub was made using a Russian fansub as its starting point), resulting in Gatlantov and Gatlantic and such. Other bits of dialogue were a bit over simplified. But as I said, they get the point across. At least people can finally have a grasp of what's going on until Bandai Visual and Voyager decide to step up. Though I'm not gonna hold my breath on that...

Will you share?

Not sure if forum policies allow sharing that type of thing. Also, the subs I've made are simple srt files. That's the most basic subtitle setup out there. No fancy sub placement or colors. Just video playing and subs at the bottom. Not all people like that. But if there are no issues with openly sharing them, I have zero problems in making them available to any fellow fans.

1 hour ago, westfall said:

Not sure if forum policies allow sharing that type of thing. Also, the subs I've made are simple srt files. That's the most basic subtitle setup out there. No fancy sub placement or colors. Just video playing and subs at the bottom. Not all people like that. But if there are no issues with openly sharing them, I have zero problems in making them available to any fellow fans.

Whatever you could do, would be greatly appreciated.  I'd compensate you for it too, if that even makes any sense.  In any case, for those of us who chose the dark side and watched the fansubs, I've got some points to discuss:

Spoiler

1.  The UN fleet seems to have better ships, but not with the technology or power that even the ancient Yamato has.  What gives?  Is this because of the informal agreement that Okita made with Starsha?

2.  I think it was a mistake to reveal the Yamato so early in the story.  Unless I'm remembering it wrong, the Yamato came to life in the original Comet Empire series when Kodai and his people were desperate to try their own hand at defeating the Comet Empire.  Revealing the Yamato now will remove the dramatic effect of it being resurrected later in the story when things invariably get more bleak for Earth.

3.  Can any of the characters be that surprised that wave weaponry not only remains but has been developed into something stronger?  Not to get political, but just because one man makes a promise with an arguably delusional woman on a distant planet, doesn't mean that the rest of the universe is going to follow suit.  The Gatlantians (sp?) clearly don't care, you could say that the Gamilans may not have cared either.  For the sake of survival, Earth has to carry the biggest stick possible. 

4.  I didn't get my wish of a redesigned Andromeda, bristling with more guns and weapons than the original, but dare I say it looks a lot leaner and meaner than the one I can remember from the original Comet Empire series.  Anyone else notice that?  Or is it just me.

Can't think of anything else as of now, but I'll post up more thoughts as I come across them...

2 hours ago, myk said:

Whatever you could do, would be greatly appreciated.  I'd compensate you for it too, if that even makes any sense.  In any case, for those of us who chose the dark side and watched the fansubs, I've got some points to discuss:

Reveal hidden contents

1.  The UN fleet seems to have better ships, but not with the technology or power that even the ancient Yamato has.  What gives?  Is this because of the informal agreement that Okita made with Starsha?

2.  I think it was a mistake to reveal the Yamato so early in the story.  Unless I'm remembering it wrong, the Yamato came to life in the original Comet Empire series when Kodai and his people were desperate to try their own hand at defeating the Comet Empire.  Revealing the Yamato now will remove the dramatic effect of it being resurrected later in the story when things invariably get more bleak for Earth.

3.  Can any of the characters be that surprised that wave weaponry not only remains but has been developed into something stronger?  Not to get political, but just because one man makes a promise with an arguably delusional woman on a distant planet, doesn't mean that the rest of the universe is going to follow suit.  The Gatlantians (sp?) clearly don't care, you could say that the Gamilans may not have cared either.  For the sake of survival, Earth has to carry the biggest stick possible. 

4.  I didn't get my wish of a redesigned Andromeda, bristling with more guns and weapons than the original, but dare I say it looks a lot leaner and meaner than the one I can remember from the original Comet Empire series.  Anyone else notice that?  Or is it just me.

Can't think of anything else as of now, but I'll post up more thoughts as I come across them...

Spoiler

1) The UNCF ships are merely refitted 2199 UNCN ships.  While they have a substantial firepower increase (going from amplified light cannons to positron shock cannons and a larger bow shock cannon) and better mobility, they're still behind the Yamato because they're smaller and streamlined for mass production.

2) You're remembering it wrong.  In Farewell the Yamato was revealed 20 minutes into the movie when her crew decides to commandeer her after it's said they'll be separated.  In series two Yamato is there from episode one, returning from a patrol and running into the Comet Empire.  In either of them the Yamato plays a big role at the start and no fanfare is spent on "resurrecting" her.

3) You're right it's a bit naive, but it's also the fact that the new government is using it willy-nilly as opposed to the Yamato who used it primarily in self-defense.  The floating continent and the Battle of Balun are the only two times it was used offensively, and the former was the first test fire while the latter the primary goal wasn't the destruction of ships, but the denial of an enemy asset.

4) The new Andromeda has a ton of new weapons.  Here's the translated armament from yamato2202.net:

Prime weapon: Dimensional Wave-Motion radiation discharger (Dispersion Wave-Motion Gun)
40.6 cm triple-barrel convergent compression type shock cannon x 4
Quick firing torpedo launch tube x 4
Gravity child spread launcher 4
Four barrel anti-battleship grenade launcher x 2.
Sub-space torpedo launcher x 4
Conning tower protection shock field cannon x 3
Six-barrel multi-launch lateral beam cannons for close combat x 2

The model's guide lists significantly more too:

dPgG7sV.jpg

Edited by skaianDestiny

Spoiler

You beat me to it; I had just spent the last few hours re-watching the Comet Empire series on dvd and seeing how the Yamato thing played out.  I actually like the idea that the Yamato is moth-balled in 2202 and will invariably be recalled into action.

As for the wave gun usage, I don't think the UN had a choice in that first battle.  The allied fleet seemed to have met its match and that super dreadnought made it all the way back to Earth.  I think they exercised the only possible option.  Of course, using the wave guns puts Earth on a whole new playing field of warfare.  But then again, Zordar seemed to be more interested in Theresa (sp?) reaching out to Earth?  

I'm curious to see how they're going to play out the rocky relationship between the Terrans and the Gamilans.  Everyone from the common citizens to the leaders seem to have a wariness towards one another and that tension will have to break at some point.  

Also, I'd like to see what they're going to do with Shima as well; looks like he's already opposed to whatever Kodai and the rest of the crew are beginning to plan.

Thanks for the information on the Andromeda class; clearly they've tuned up that ship but can you tell if the appearance is different as well?  

Finally, I hope others will chime in on the discussion lol, and I certainly hope we're not breaking any forum rules considering the method in which we watched 2202... 

Where is this mass production facility that is making all the new-era model Cosmo Navy ships? Is this singularity thingie that is powering those ships then reason the Gatlatians are waging war with the 2202 terrans?

1 hour ago, myk said:
  Hide contents

You beat me to it; I had just spent the last few hours re-watching the Comet Empire series on dvd and seeing how the Yamato thing played out.  I actually like the idea that the Yamato is moth-balled in 2202 and will invariably be recalled into action.

As for the wave gun usage, I don't think the UN had a choice in that first battle.  The allied fleet seemed to have met its match and that super dreadnought made it all the way back to Earth.  I think they exercised the only possible option.  Of course, using the wave guns puts Earth on a whole new playing field of warfare.  But then again, Zordar seemed to be more interested in Theresa (sp?) reaching out to Earth?  

I'm curious to see how they're going to play out the rocky relationship between the Terrans and the Gamilans.  Everyone from the common citizens to the leaders seem to have a wariness towards one another and that tension will have to break at some point.  

Also, I'd like to see what they're going to do with Shima as well; looks like he's already opposed to whatever Kodai and the rest of the crew are beginning to plan.

Thanks for the information on the Andromeda class; clearly they've tuned up that ship but can you tell if the appearance is different as well?  

Finally, I hope others will chime in on the discussion lol, and I certainly hope we're not breaking any forum rules considering the method in which we watched 2202... 

Here is my version of the subs for episodes 1 and 2. These are mostly based in the official Italian translation, with only a few lines and idioms taken from the most recent english sub. If this share breaks the forum rules, I ask the administrators to delete the post and forgive my indiscretion. Again, these are simple srt files which provide simple text at the bottom of the screen. Some lines are tagged with italics and bold lettering but these will only work on certain programs. My player of choice is VLC.

Yamato 2202 E01 - AD 2202 ~ Revive Space Battleship Yamato.srt

Yamato 2202 E02 - Tension ~ The Embassy Under the Moon.srt

Edited by westfall

I don't think they had a choice when it comes to whether or not to use the wave motion gun technology. That first battle proves it as far as I'm concerned. If they didn't make use of it, they would have surely lost both fleets, And they're right, just because the crew of the Yamato made that promise, doesn't mean the rest of the Earth (Let alone the universe) was bound to obey it.

It's the age-old problem of following hubris, and ignoring the warnings.

I watched them on Kissanime and they were really good. Would be even better with better subtitles!

10 hours ago, westfall said:

Westfall, what do these play on? Windows Media Player won't play them.

25 minutes ago, Thom said:

It's the age-old problem of following hubris, and ignoring the warnings.

I watched them on Kissanime and they were really good. Would be even better with better subtitles!

Westfall, what do these play on? Windows Media Player won't play them.

You need the raw video file (preferably .mkv) and a special video player such as MPC-HC (it's free).  You open the raw video, then drag the subtitles into MPC-HC.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:32 AM, myk said:
  Hide contents

Just a comment, the Yamato took out the Gatlantis DN with it's shock canons.  The wave motion gun from the Andromeda didn't seem to actually hit the DN, the same DN took two hits from the Andromeda turrets 3 and 4, with no apparent effect.    That seem to be odd because it implies that the Andromeda shock cannons aren't as powerful as what is on the Yamato.  I'll also note that inthe original series, the wave gun was not considered a big deal.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the battle, but that one could be nitpicked to death.  i.e. why was the Unagi the only one that was flying in and out of the Gatlantis formation, while everyone else lined up like a bunch of toy soldiers on a firing line

Its Yunagi...not a fresh water eel. LOL.

Also noticed some Engrish with the Defiant...wonder if that (and the Saratoga) was a reference to Star Trek. 

Edited by UN Spacy

9 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Hide contents

Just a comment, the Yamato took out the Gatlantis DN with it's shock canons.  The wave motion gun from the Andromeda didn't seem to actually hit the DN, the same DN took two hits from the Andromeda turrets 3 and 4, with no apparent effect.    That seem to be odd because it implies that the Andromeda shock cannons aren't as powerful as what is on the Yamato.  I'll also note that inthe original series, the wave gun was not considered a big deal.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the battle, but that one could be nitpicked to death.  i.e. why was the Unagi the only one that was flying in and out of the Gatlantis formation, while everyone else lined up like a bunch of toy soldiers on a firing line

Spoiler

Yeah my sense of awe with the powerful debut of the Andromeda quickly faded when it let the dreadnought get away; while seemingly barely scratching it with the shots from its cannons...

14 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I think that has to do with the type of commander Kodai is. He'll race in at the enemy and face them head on in order to get the job done, even if that means doing it alone. When you think about it, it's a good mind-set for a captain of the Yamato...

4 hours ago, myk said:
  Hide contents

Yeah my sense of awe with the powerful debut of the Andromeda quickly faded when it let the dreadnought get away; while seemingly barely scratching it with the shots from its cannons...

Spoiler

That, I think had a lot to do with their own awe of the Andromeda. 'Look at the Big Stick we made, be afraid!' They were too confident in the 'technological terror' they'd created and blundered it.  It's also possible that the DN was not destroyed outright because the other ships took the brunt of the hits, basically shielding it at their own expense. And as for why the Andromeda's shock cannon had little effect, it could be because the ship was already heading into warp and the power of the shots were simply sucked into subspace instead of doing any notable damage. That's just my idea, something that explains a similar situation in a sci-fi story I'm wrote.

Edited by Thom

13 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

Its Yunagi...not a fresh water eel. LOL.

Also noticed some Engrish with the Defiant...wonder if that (and the Saratoga) was a reference to Star Trek. 

I thought that was screwy.  Eel.  It was slippery in ep 1 for sure.

On 5/14/2017 at 4:45 AM, westfall said:

Here is my version of the subs for episodes 1 and 2. These are mostly based in the official Italian translation, with only a few lines and idioms taken from the most recent english sub. If this share breaks the forum rules, I ask the administrators to delete the post and forgive my indiscretion. Again, these are simple srt files which provide simple text at the bottom of the screen. Some lines are tagged with italics and bold lettering but these will only work on certain programs. My player of choice is VLC.

Yamato 2202 E01 - AD 2202 ~ Revive Space Battleship Yamato.srt

Yamato 2202 E02 - Tension ~ The Embassy Under the Moon.srt

Thank you, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think that has to do with the type of commander Kodai is. He'll race in at the enemy and face them head on in order to get the job done, even if that means doing it alone. When you think about it, it's a good mind-set for a captain of the Yamato...

Hide contents

That, I think had a lot to do with their own awe of the Andromeda. 'Look at the Big Stick we made, be afraid!' They were too confident in the 'technological terror' they'd created and blundered it.  It's also possible that the DN was not destroyed outright because the other ships took the brunt of the hits, basically shielding it at their own expense. And as for why the Andromeda's shock cannon had little effect, it could be because the ship was already heading into warp and the power of the shots were simply sucked into subspace instead of doing any notable damage. That's just my idea, something that explains a similar situation in a sci-fi story I'm wrote.

I see the problem with a lot of these anime show as a matter of consistency.  These guys simply aren't sufficiently consistent in what they do.  It would've been simple to have the Gatlantis DN go to warp immediately, no need to have Andromeda fire its two shock cannons.  No need to have the DN go immediately pass the Yunagi.  And by the way, how come the Yunagi (a less advanced ship) is able to follow the Gatlantis ship, and Andromeda is nowhere to be found shortly afterwards.  (may be it isn't so advanced)  There were ways to handle this portion of the show that didn't detract from it, hell, the original Gatlantis series I think actually did a better job.

As I said, I understand the concept of dramatic license, but all of this stuff just falls apart if anyone cares to pick at it even just a little bit.  This is the entire problem with the hero complex that mech animes tend to develop.  Doesn't mean I like 2202 any less, just that it's really annoying that the writers are so lazy to script the battle's end in the way they did.

37 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Hide contents

I see the problem with a lot of these anime show as a matter of consistency.  These guys simply aren't sufficiently consistent in what they do.  It would've been simple to have the Gatlantis DN go to warp immediately, no need to have Andromeda fire its two shock cannons.  No need to have the DN go immediately pass the Yunagi.  And by the way, how come the Yunagi (a less advanced ship) is able to follow the Gatlantis ship, and Andromeda is nowhere to be found shortly afterwards.  (may be it isn't so advanced)  There were ways to handle this portion of the show that didn't detract from it, hell, the original Gatlantis series I think actually did a better job.

As I said, I understand the concept of dramatic license, but all of this stuff just falls apart if anyone cares to pick at it even just a little bit.  This is the entire problem with the hero complex that mech animes tend to develop.  Doesn't mean I like 2202 any less, just that it's really annoying that the writers are so lazy to script the battle's end in the way they did.

Yeah i agree. Consistency is definitely a problem all across anime. It's frustrating because it can be easily overcome with a little thought put into it.

Guys, those who have downloaded my subs, though it is a minor fix, if you want to correct it, the ship in episode one is called DEFIANT and not DEFIANCE. I was paying attention to the official Italiabn sub and didn't notice that the name on the ship's hull didn't match. XD Guess even official subs can fall short.

The hell price tag for that Cosmo Zero?!

Is there some Battroid or Gerwalk Mode that they're not telling us about!?

I'll stick with my 1/72 plamo for now. 

Apologies for going back to an earlier question: Is the "new" Andromeda is different from the original series. I compared a model build of the old 1980s Andromeda Bandai kit vs. one of the "new" one and the new ship is much larger (I believe the official measurements  place it at 444 meters where the original was somewhere in the 300 meter range) since the original model is 1/700 and this one is 1/1000 and they are the same length. The proportions are actually fairly different in that the newer Andromeda isn't as thick or as wide proportional to it's length as the older version, leaving it looking leaner and "faster". Beyond that there are a number of subtle contour differences such as the suggestions of what in a modern submarine would be a pair of "pressure hulls" subtly rising out from the sides about 1/3 of the way from the front of the main hull as well as differences in the rear "scoop" and how it flows into the main hull. There are a lot more small curves and angles in the ship which may be from the modern series having a CG ship, allowing it to be shown from any angle without greater difficulty versus the original design being animated by hand, making the inclusion of subtle undercuts, projections etc prohibitively difficult to draw cost effectively in the original Yamato 2 series. I've worked professionally in 3d since 1995 and I suspect that the new Andromeda model may very well be a Solidworks (or similar) CAD/CAM version based on the 3d data set used for the actual show, allowing for a great deal of accuracy. I observed in one of the various Japanese hobby magazines that a project was done by an individual with access to the Mielda Dietz fighter 3d model data set to produce a 3d print based model that turned out beautifully in 1/72 scale. In ending, I should say that, having a kit of the new Andromeda, I've been able to look over the quality of the build and the quality of assembly and both are excellent. The VFX wave motion gun modules aren't as bright as I like but I'm a complete brightness fiend who would love to put some of the tri-Cree or Luxeon Tri Rebel LEDs I use when building lightsaber props into that area. One cool thing; however; is that the sound and light effect are synced up on the wave gun build up to firing moment and that would be tricky to due oneself unless one is familiar with Arduino or similar tools and having sound FX is always just cool from the word go. On a related subject, has anyone yet figured out why the Aldebaran is being released as a separate model? The only thing that would, at first glance, seem to different is that the Andromeda model only comes with decals specific to the Andromeda...

2 hours ago, Johannes Huber said:

Apologies for going back to an earlier question: Is the "new" Andromeda is different from the original series. I compared a model build of the old 1980s Andromeda Bandai kit vs. one of the "new" one and the new ship is much larger (I believe the official measurements  place it at 444 meters where the original was somewhere in the 300 meter range) since the original model is 1/700 and this one is 1/1000 and they are the same length. The proportions are actually fairly different in that the newer Andromeda isn't as thick or as wide proportional to it's length as the older version, leaving it looking leaner and "faster". Beyond that there are a number of subtle contour differences such as the suggestions of what in a modern submarine would be a pair of "pressure hulls" subtly rising out from the sides about 1/3 of the way from the front of the main hull as well as differences in the rear "scoop" and how it flows into the main hull. There are a lot more small curves and angles in the ship which may be from the modern series having a CG ship, allowing it to be shown from any angle without greater difficulty versus the original design being animated by hand, making the inclusion of subtle undercuts, projections etc prohibitively difficult to draw cost effectively in the original Yamato 2 series. I've worked professionally in 3d since 1995 and I suspect that the new Andromeda model may very well be a Solidworks (or similar) CAD/CAM version based on the 3d data set used for the actual show, allowing for a great deal of accuracy. I observed in one of the various Japanese hobby magazines that a project was done by an individual with access to the Mielda Dietz fighter 3d model data set to produce a 3d print based model that turned out beautifully in 1/72 scale. In ending, I should say that, having a kit of the new Andromeda, I've been able to look over the quality of the build and the quality of assembly and both are excellent. The VFX wave motion gun modules aren't as bright as I like but I'm a complete brightness fiend who would love to put some of the tri-Cree or Luxeon Tri Rebel LEDs I use when building lightsaber props into that area. One cool thing; however; is that the sound and light effect are synced up on the wave gun build up to firing moment and that would be tricky to due oneself unless one is familiar with Arduino or similar tools and having sound FX is always just cool from the word go. On a related subject, has anyone yet figured out why the Aldebaran is being released as a separate model? The only thing that would, at first glance, seem to different is that the Andromeda model only comes with decals specific to the Andromeda...

Bandai loves releasing variants, especially if they're simple color changes.  There's a market for people who want the new darker blue Andromeda but are unable or unwilling to paint, as Bandai does a fantastic job with color separation.