Yeah, I mean, I didn't hate the last Terminator but I certainly didn't see a franchise being built around it either.

What's that tagline from one of the fake Tropic Thunder movie previews - "Here we go again, again"

-b.

Yeah, this sounds awful. I'm so glad I stopped at the third film. But at least reading the violently negative reviews of each dreadful sequel is more "entertainment" than the actual movies :)

Edited by Mr March

Yeah, this sounds awful. I'm so glad I stopped at the third film. But at least reading the violently negative reviews of each dreadful sequel is more "entertainment" than the actual movies :)

You ain't lyin'.

I watched Salvation, and it's truly frustrating because there's a good movie trying to claw it's way out, but it can't escape all the awful(and frequently nonsensical) Terminator stuff bolted on top of it.

You ain't lyin'.

I watched Salvation, and it's truly frustrating because there's a good movie trying to claw it's way out, but it can't escape all the awful(and frequently nonsensical) Terminator stuff bolted on top of it.

Damn, I always hate that. Nothing worse than wasted potential.

It's the same problem as the Alien and Predator franchises. Too many different writers and directors trying to pull them in too many different directions. Which is unfortunate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/28/2016 at 9:37 AM, Lonely Soldier Boy said:

Not only the performance, but the way Kyle Reese was written in Genesis seemed way off to me. Like this didn't look, act or talk like a guy that had to watch over his shoulder to survive every day and night since he was a child.

It was the writing and the casting of Jai Courtney.   Jai Courtney is just.....no...

Honestly, at this point, they should probably eject EVERYTHING and begin from scratch(which I thought they were doing with Genisys at first, because it made sense). The franchise needs a fresh start if one truly intends to keep making Terminators. 

AT BEST, you could keep the first two movies, but the setting becomes increasingly dated now that Judgement Day(the event, not the movie) is two decades in the past. And most people don't LIKE the first movie(ignoring the serious continuity issues between the first two). The popular thing to do is keep Judgement Day(the movie, not the event), and eject everything else. You still wind up remaking the first film to bring it in line with modern big-budget action sensibilities and tell a (wholly unnecessary) origin story. But that happy ending in 2 is a bear to work around coherently. 

Also, starting over lets you create a consistent set of time travel rules that ALL the movies adhere to, instead of having every film play by a unique set of rules that spits in the face of every other movie.

Personally, I would let the franchise die, but it is somehow still worth too much money for THAT to happen. As far as ejecting specific films... I'd start with axing Salvation, but only because I refused to WATCH Genisys after the trailers and thus cannot fairly judge it.

The first three movies have the advantage of ALMOST telling a single coherent(if not necessarily GOOD) story when taken together. Salvation can't even tell a coherent story BY ITSELF, much less when taken as part of the overarching franchise plot.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Honestly, at this point, they should probably eject EVERYTHING and begin from scratch(which I thought they were doing with Genisys at first, because it made sense).

There's kind of a way around this soft/hard reboot nonsense, and Genisys hinted at it.  The film suggested that there are multiple timelines.  In the sense of parallel universes (not that the movie spelled it out like that.  It's stemming from the line "crossing (or crossed) timelines" when Arnold's character is explaining a time nexus).

I agree that they should get their rules on time travel cleared up - as Genisys has some things that left me scratching my head - if you take it from the perspective of everything happening in the same universe.  If the time device is really sending passengers to the past in a parallel universe (and the software the AI programs use to time travel is somehow 'locked' into that 'target' universe), it makes a lot more sense.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

And most people don't LIKE the first movie(ignoring the serious continuity issues between the first two).

Really?  

I've personally never met anyone who doesn't like the first movie, it's a classic. I actually prefer it to T2.

8 minutes ago, Graham said:

Really?  

I've personally never met anyone who doesn't like the first movie, it's a classic. I actually prefer it to T2.

I prefer the first movie too. It seems to be a minority opinion, though.

I suppose the general impression I get is actually less "I didn't like The Terminator" and more "I never saw a reason to watch it when I already had Judgement Day, which is better in every way".  It feels like for most people, the franchise simply begins with T2.  Which is oddly appropriate, given that the sequels take most of their inspiration from the second film.

I've never heard anyone say they don't like the first movie.  Plenty have said they like the second movie more but that is not the same thing.

As for continuity - the instant time travel is involved it goes out the window.  The first movie setup a time loop that just can't happen without the time loop.  Latest Dr. Who season handled it pretty well with the who got the idea first bits.