Getting the original narrator, having a insert song by the guy who sang Forces and having Miura himself as a executive supervisor are all steps in the right direction. The new PV looks better than the first one and I'm glad to see more 2D animation mixed in there. The CG parts still look too stiff. They need to stop removing frames.

Was not a fan of the recent movies but hoping they do a decent job with this.... Wonder where exactly this new series will start? With Black Swordsman then jump right to Conviction (maybe will do a synopsis of Golden Age or just assume everyone has seen the old series or movies)?

This so far doesn't look as bad as the cg from the movies. I liked the old series even though at times the animation was just still pictures. I so far have only seen the first movie egg of the king and the cg elements were really bad. I will probably still watch the other films before themes series comes out here in the U.S.

Is this going to be connected to either the series or the movies or just be further in the comic than the previous projects.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the CG but more Berserk always makes me happy. Now if we could just get Miura to speed up a bit on the Manga.....

I hear you, but it's just not going to happen. In december it was announced that the manga will go on a hiatus yet again, and it is expected to return around Summer 2016 or so. It also announced that the manga will be published as an “irregular series" after that. Whatever "irregular" means is anyone's guess.

To be honest, after more than a quarter of a century working on it, I think Miura just doesn't have the same appetite for it anymore. If the anime is successful, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a couple of seasons and then caught up to the manga.

• 2 months later...

I can't say I particularly like the cgi in the previews of the anime, but its honestly something I can overlook given how long I've been waiting for this.

My feelings exactly. I hope it's streamed somewhere accessible and it doesn't go to a limited platform like Amazon Prime.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew the CGI was going to be pretty low spec, but damn, even the art was bad (in an opening episode that's pretty unforgivable). And if you've read Berserk, you know that's a travesty. Why the heck doesn't a good studio like Madhouse or Ufo-Table get this? Sigh. So sad.

Yeah... the art seemed all over the place. What was with the weird "pencil squiggle" shading affect going on - looked really odd.

Story seems all over the place as well - scenes of puck at the tavern and the bit with Collette & her father on the wagon seem clear from Black Swordsman, with just a bit of Lost Children chapter (the tree thing, but dont recall it looking like that though and no Jill being rescued) and Isidro thrown in to boot at the tavern. So next episode preview already Guts is captured by Farnese/Holy Knights - really confusing there - so he hasnt been killing apostles then? Nothing of the Snake Baron or Count sections of Black Swordsman let alone the majority of the Lost Children chapters?

Edited by Petrov27

Watched it, I am used to watching cheap CG Anime, but I was expecting a little bit better since it is Berserk. Other points discussed is valid but I will still watch it and give a verdict at the end of the season. But yeah, as a season opener, it is a pretty bad episode.

• 2 months later...

Now that the Conviction arc...

is done YES the CGI animation was very painful to watch. There were maybe two or three great episodes...Isidiro and Serpico were my favorite characters. Now the wait for Spring 2017/Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc begins. post-31-0-92724300-1474134688_thumb.jpg post-31-0-10355600-1474134709_thumb.jpg

Now that the Conviction arc...

is done YES the CGI animation was very painful to watch. There were maybe two or three great episodes...Isidiro and Serpico were my favorite characters. Now the wait for Spring 2017/Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc begins. attachicon.gifHorribleSubs Berserk - 12 [720p attachicon.gifHorribleSubs Berserk - 12 [720p

I'm harboring an impossible dream that the studio that's doing this adaptation goes bankrupt and that a proper studio (think Madhouse or MAPPA) takes charge of the next season and gives a proper version, with animation and art worthy of the source material.

I watched it and can't decide if I hated it, but I stuck around for every episode thinking I would miss out on something. I like that comment about wishing the studio would go bankrupt, but I would rather see the studio learn from the complaints and change art direction completely. I may be mistaken, but I think this studio had far better looking shows before this.

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

So it'll be another 12 episodes condensing the Millennium Empire arc?

Wasn't expecting it to start this quickly.

Yup seems it's picking up right when the last season left off, I guess reuse of CG models makes it super easy to just pump out episodes. 

I'm glad I'm not a statue collector cause I'd be tempted on that Guts.