5 hours ago, Big s said:

I'd still argue that it's not a bad movie, but not as good as the first 3 films. I'm hopeful about this sequel. Even a bad Indie film is still entertaining.

I'd argue if it was the first Indiana Jones movie and we had nothing else to compare it too it's an "okay" movie.  When set in the a world where the other 3 movies exist it make you go what the @#$%!

Do you think they're going to CGI Indy's head on a stuntman's body like they did with Count Doku?   At almost 75 years old I don't think they're going to go overboard with the cinematic fist fights. 

8 hours ago, Big s said:

I'd still argue that it's not a bad movie, but not as good as the first 3 films. I'm hopeful about this sequel. Even a bad Indie film is still entertaining.

Temple of Doom was far far worse than Crystal Skull.  It was so bad I find it unwatchable.

I don't know if Temple of Doom is actually objectively worse than Crystal skull, but the things I dislike about Temple of Doom annoy me WAY more than the things that are wrong with Crystal Skull.

Saw Skull again a couple weeks ago and, refrigerator aside, it didn't bother me as much the second time round. 

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, jenius said:

Wasn't the plan to hand this series off to Shia LaBeouf? Boy, that didn't pan out.

I keep saying that could still work if you bring in Chris Pratt as Shia's older half brother from the time Indy banged Willie Scott in Temple of Doom.

It would make a nice juxtaposition where Chris's character acts more like Indy than Shia's character and Shia acting like you think Willie Scott's kid would act. Potential buddy cop styled theme there.

6 hours ago, jenius said:

Wasn't the plan to hand this series off to Shia LaBeouf? Boy, that didn't pan out.

That was certainly the feel I had watching Crystal Skull. At the time, I wouldn't have minded if they popped out a sequel with him moving into the role, but now..?

6 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Indy in his 70's in the 1970's could be a good movie but it wouldn't be an Indy movie.

Yeah, but I think that's precisely the kind of mature direction the series will have to take at this point.

Consider belated sequels like Rocky Balboa (that came to terms with aging), and Creed (that focused on the younger generation).  They're good films because they acknowledge the passage of time -- and don't try to recreate the '80s formula -- instead using the old films as a rich backstory to build a new legacy on.

A '70s China setting, perhaps centered around the discovery of the Terracotta Warriors, could be a good story...

...but not if the Terracotta Army magically came to life or something. <_<

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull proved you can't just update the setting and hope the old '80s tropes will still work.  A more grounded, realistic tone is necessary.

8 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Look what James Mangold did with the last Wolverine film, LOGAN.

Well, Indiana Jones will never be Logan, but with a little quiet introspection and thematic depth, it could at least equal Mangold's The Wolverine...

...whereas all the old Indy formula would produce is something akin to Dark Phoenix. :unsure:

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah, but I think that's precisely the kind of mature direction the series will have to take at this point.

Consider belated sequels like Rocky Balboa (that came to terms with aging), and Creed (that focused on the younger generation).  They're good films because they acknowledge the passage of time -- and don't try to recreate the '80s formula -- instead using the old films as a rich backstory to build a new legacy on.

A '70s China setting, perhaps centered around the discovery of the Terracotta Warriors, could be a good story...

...but not if the Terracotta Army magically came to life or something. <_<

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull proved you can't just update the setting and hope the old '80s tropes will still work.  A more grounded, realistic tone is necessary.

I get what you're trying to say here, nobody wants to see a Harrison Ford in his late 70s going on adventures in the 70s and trying to act like he in his 20s or 30s when it comes to fights and stunts, but it would be a huge mistake to move away from the tone of the classic adventure serial that made the series what it is.

Crystal Skull tried that by channeling cheesy 50s scifi with it's tone by tossing commies, pseudoscience that made no sense, psychic powers, and flying saucers and sucked the high hard one for it.

2 hours ago, Thom said:

That was certainly the feel I had watching Crystal Skull. At the time, I wouldn't have minded if they popped out a sequel with him moving into the role, but now..?

Now? He do something else stupid or weird lately within the last two years I don't know about other that being your typical Hollywood weirdo?

1 hour ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Now? He do something else stupid or weird lately within the last two years I don't know about other that being your typical Hollywood weirdo?

Now, in that the time has past. The iron is cold. His reputation is 'weird.' Unless something major happens, I would think that he is 'one and done' with the franchise.

(I could be mistaken though. He's had a few smaller movies that garnered some acclaim in recent years, and actors have come back from more...)

Old man Indy is fine. Even at his age he's gonna do some action and fighting, but hopefully it's smart muscle style. And will there be someone to pick up the hat ? Maybe not . I seriously doubt Shia will be in this one. Guess we'll see..