TomyTec GIMIX Macross Delta 1/144

seti88

The VF31 kits require a bit of glue in fighter mode but WOW the finished product is gorgeous! They have even silvered the inside of the body panels to avoid light leakage with the OP11 kits! The 31A looks really nice on the carrier deck.

I built my 31 and thought it was great as well. I would love to see how TomyTec makes these things.

For anyone who has not started on theirs yet, be aware they are under-gated. When cleaning up the gate marks, there are two areas you need to clean. I have attached a picture from a Bandai instruction booklet that shows you how to remove the gates. If the gates are not fully removed, you will not be able to get rid of all the seams.

post-10677-0-75326100-1478215720_thumb.jpg

I remove mine with the snips first then a blade to shave off the excess

1 down, 6 31s to go but at least its a fun production line

I've modded mine slightly so a thin black enamal coated copper wire runs from the OP11 light boards contacts > left and right engine pods > down each rear Undercarriage leg like a brakeline so they meet a tiny socket in the carrier flight deck to enable the engines to light up without anything obvious underneath.

Edited by NZEOD

I built my 31 and thought it was great as well. I would love to see how TomyTec makes these things.

For anyone who has not started on theirs yet, be aware they are under-gated. When cleaning up the gate marks, there are two areas you need to clean. I have attached a picture from a Bandai instruction booklet that shows you how to remove the gates. If the gates are not fully removed, you will not be able to get rid of all the seams.

attachicon.gifm187_m0006_JPG__1068×1511_.jpg

Yup, the under-gates are tricky. Just managed to take a bit of time to start on it.

post-13484-0-87251300-1478216759_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see these released as unpainted, DIY kits. Them being prepainted means I can't get rid of any seam lines (where the lower/upper fuselage meet, for instance) or gaps (which mainly result from the paint job making parts harder to fit together). The tighter fit from the paint also made me worry about smaller/more fragile parts breaking. I'm glad that didn't happen, but there were more than a couple of hold-my-breath moments there.

Still, I'm really digging this 31A. It's such a fun little thing to build. Shame about them no longer being in stock.

I'd like to see these released as unpainted, DIY kits. Them being prepainted means I can't get rid of any seam lines (where the lower/upper fuselage meet, for instance) or gaps (which mainly result from the paint job making parts harder to fit together). The tighter fit from the paint also made me worry about smaller/more fragile parts breaking. I'm glad that didn't happen, but there were more than a couple of hold-my-breath moments there.

Still, I'm really digging this 31A. It's such a fun little thing to build. Shame about them no longer being in stock.

I know where there was, yesterday, 27 still in stock at one retailer for 3020Yen...

Edited by NZEOD

Oh, doy. I mistook the statement from a few posts back about other Gimix kits being OOP to include the 31A. A quick look around the e-shops show it's backordered at worst.

But I remember a question I had during construction, now. Did anyone who built any of the VF-31 variants have issues with the small triangle piece connecting the weapons pod to the backpack/central fuselage?

I don't know if the peg on the triangle piece is supposed to fit all the way into the weapons pod or not, but the one on mine retained a fairly significant gap even when I applied what was probably a not-smart amount of pressure to the pieces. I couldn't see any physical impediments to the two parts fitting together nicely aside from the paint job, hence my comment above about parts fit.

yeah...its... an iffy part, you either get a gap there or between that piece and the long back spine it fits on the end of.

Fitting on the OP11 lights isn't fun either but WORST of all is supergluing it all together THEN finding out you have one blue engine (which isn't even an option with the lighting kits!!) and one white one!!!

Lol I just saw your comment in the other thread too. Good luck rectifying that. Maybe pretend one engine is SUUUUPERCHARGED!!!!

Naa....this one was to be 01 on Catapult Ready 1 but its going to have to be relegated to 06 and be parked on the Carrier Elevator with the canopy open and the pilot removed. I'll just have to write off the light unit as a loss.

The buildings have been out a little while, their is a rubble set to go with them. I have one of the small ones and 2 of the tall ones.

The translation and the placecard on the hobby denki site as follows...

From the geocore which announces vehicles and buildings of N gauge size, the "building under demolition" which was not likely to be attracted attention. Ibaraki Traffic Bus of Gal Pan Rapping Buses and 500 series Shinkansen of Evangelion specification, N gauge vehicles equipped with in-vehicle camera are also required check!

post-15116-0-68575800-1478775390_thumb.jpg

Maybe a re-issue i suppose...

yeah or they sold it awhile and have only just announced it? I've had mine since I got my first GiMIX valks. They are a good starting point for a wrecked street scene though.

Edited by NZEOD