TomyTec GIMIX Macross Delta 1/144

seti88

Ok, here's the skinny on these...If you don't own a high quality pair of Xuron hobby snippers, stop reading this immediately and go out and buy a good pair. You can thank me later! After that, all you will need is an Xcto knife, a gel super glue of your choice and I recommend regular Tamiya liquid cement. Some parts require glue 100%, some really don't need it unless you just want to, and some require non at all even if the instructions call for it. READ the instructions carefully and kinda read ahead so you know what's coming next and you can save yourself some time/heartache on a couple of things. The kit IS pre-painted internally for LED lighting in the engines. IF they had included the tiny little LED circuit that's in the instructions, I totally would have attempted it. But I can't read Japanese so I have no idea what it actually says about the LED parts, There are clear parts that go inside the legs down the engine which you can skip putting in if you are not using LED's. I guess it's like a lightpipe thing, pretty cool! TEST FIT every part so you have an idea of how it attaches. This will also tell you whether or not you need glue. The vertical tail fins do require glue and I was careful but still almost got a tiny bit on the blue paint on the wing when attaching them...be careful! I recommend a toothpick with only the tiniest amount of glue on it. The paint will come right off when either type of cement used hits it. You've been warned. The only part that was slightly tricky is early on getting the upper and lower body's together with no gap and then getting the nose cone on..I used superglue for that bit, and literally just held it all together really tight for 30 seconds! Seam lines--- ummm---there aren't any! Moving on! The only sprue marks really that aren't completely hidden are the ones for the feet/engines, I used a tiny amount of Testors Jet Exhaust to touch that up. It almost matches perfectly. I can't think of much else really-- ohh..the canopy closed option I'm gonna have to glue on with Elmers I guess...it is not attached at all, the open canopy has a peg that slots in. I'm gonna finish up the gear and the stand today and I'll post some better pics before I move on to Mirage!

EDIT...For the price of these, I think they are great! Honestly as a one mode at a time kinda guy, mostly fighter, I hope they get a Frontier and Plus and Seven license! I would consider selling A LOT of my 1/60 Bandai DX's and going this route if they did for the space saving aspect alone, not to mention the money.

Got my kits last week but was holding off for the LED set from Hobbysearch (HLJ is backordered). They arrived yesterday. What you want is the TomyTec OP-11 part. Link here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10348037

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10348037/10/0

Every simple to put together and all you need is some LR44 batteries. Hopefully, I'll have time to put it together in the next couple days and put some pics up

Edited by Wiz13688

OK, I just uploaded a open box video of the 2 Mode set, it also shows the difference between the OP-1 and OP-11 LED set.

Nice thanks for the unboxing, Looks like for the 2 mode extra decal sheets, there isn't any real-life squadron insignia's.

This was present in the VF-1 2 mode kits extra decal sheets...

On a side note i love the smoothness of tomytec gloss box'es, that's premium lol...carry on...

Here's my three. I did a panel line wash on the top of the 31A with pro modelers dark dirt clay based wash. It definitely helps bring out the details. Will probably do it on the other two eventually.

20160911_204004.jpg

the more conventional wing layout of the 31A is just super sexy! :wub: can't wait for the DX toy! :D

Edited by spanner

TomyTec did it! Skull leader on your favorite 31A!

https://twitter.com/MasterFileblog/status/779181901873451008

post-15116-0-04848500-1474616209_thumb.jpg

Am not sure if there are selling a separate 31A or having the an extra skull leader emblem available in the 31S package...

I thk i might prefer the latter, so basically you can make any valk a skull leader haha... B))

Edited by seti88

I just finished my VF-31A and J. Are the decals for the A regular water slide decals or are the something else? I remember someone talking about a different type of decal somewhere but I honestly cN't remember if it was here.

Chris

The ones on the Su-37 were. They look like water-slides, but actually are a bit different. Do not attempt to trim excess decal film away, leave it be. Give it a wide berth, like you would a dry transfer. Apply like a normal water-slide, but do not use any setting solution. Let dry. Then, peel away the excess clear film much like you would a dry transfer.

I just finished my VF-31A and J. Are the decals for the A regular water slide decals or are the something else? I remember someone talking about a different type of decal somewhere but I honestly cN't remember if it was here.

Chris

Yes, it's the special type decals (just checked the VF-31A instruction sheet). Just follow the advice above from David.

Edited by Vifam7

The ones on the Su-37 were. They look like water-slides, but actually are a bit different. Do not attempt to trim excess decal film away, leave it be. Give it a wide berth, like you would a dry transfer. Apply like a normal water-slide, but do not use any setting solution. Let dry. Then, peel away the excess clear film much like you would a dry transfer.

Interesting. I suppose this type of decal is middleground between water-slide & dry transfer ?

Thanks guys. Do I need to put it on a glossy surface like regular decals too? Also, just want to make sure I understand correctly, there is going to be a film I'll need to remove after they are set? Thanks.

Chris