TomyTec GIMIX Macross Delta 1/144

seti88

The VF-1 can be parts-formed after assembly of the main models. Unless you glue the connections that are meant to be able to separate in order to get Gerwalk. Though it is a certainly an "event" which I would not like to reproduce constantly.

I would think these VF-31s can be executed in the same way. I'll probably end up ordering another set to have all 3 modes separate of each other without needing to parts-form at any point.... *sigh* my wallet.

Edited by ayaxr

Yea we got to find out whose heads we have to knock to get tomy onto more macross licences!

post-15116-0-34824700-1472868747_thumb.jpgpost-15116-0-63947700-1472868750_thumb.jpgpost-15116-0-74292000-1472868753_thumb.jpg

https://twitter.com/aiba2989/status/771113346409967617

post-15116-0-92128700-1472868829_thumb.jpg

Frankly speaking i can imagine these put on a flat diorama, framed and hung from the wall as a topside view. I thk it would save a lot of space and be used as a valk collection piece. :rolleyes:

Edited by seti88

Hello guys, I'm new here, and I'm rather curious about the gimix line. To anyone who built and have the gimix line, is it worth it? And how was the size? Does the fighter mode have the same size with the macross mecha collection line? I'm rather curious for the 31A :wub: And, does the battroid kit any good? I have the 1/72 one, and it was good, but just too big for my liking :wacko:.

BAM! That's right.. tomorrow and Monday are VF-31 building days!

Could you post the review images of runners etc, and the finished kit? I'm really curious about this line :D :D

Cheers.

And how was the size? Does the fighter mode have the same size with the macross mecha collection line? I'm rather curious for the 31A :wub: And, does the battroid kit any good? I have the 1/72 one, and it was good, but just too big for my liking :wacko:.

The kit is 1/144 scale, so the fighter mode kits are a bit larger than the Mecha Colle VFs (which roughly scale to 1/200 or something like that). This scale also means the battroid kit will be roughly 1/4 the size of the 1/72 kit (1/2 the height and 1/2 the width).

The kit is 1/144 scale, so the fighter mode kits are a bit larger than the Mecha Colle VFs (which roughly scale to 1/200 or something like that). This scale also means the battroid kit will be roughly 1/4 the size of the 1/72 kit (1/2 the height and 1/2 the width).

oh i see then, and looking at the pic above, it sure bigger than the mechacolle :lol: :lol: . Thanks for the info kajnrig! :D

Here's pix out of the box... times getting away from me today, but definitely tomorrow! These things are amazingly detailed!! Totally hooked!!!

that's some really sick details there... and i believe some of the clear parts are used for the leg / exhaust so it could light up when used with tomytec light up parts? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Here's pix out of the box... times getting away from me today, but definitely tomorrow! These things are amazingly detailed!! Totally hooked!!!

That looks amazing, as expected. the quality is there just as on the VF-1 kit. Going to HAVE to get a dedicated VF-31J fighter kit now... haha.

Hm. Glue has got me thinking a question: How well/poorly does this kit hide its seam lines? All the pics suggest it's done a great job. And what is the paint application like? Did they paint over sections that have to be glued together, thereby rendering plastic cement less effective? (Because there's a layer of paint between the solvent and plastic, you see.)

If it's anything like their other kits, oddly, paint actually helps the cement adhesion in this case. They seem to be molded in a plastic that almost repels most normal glues and paints. Whatever paint they use, is one of the few substances that adheres well. So in a way, you kinda want to glue the painted surfaces.

ok... 2.5 hrs build out of the box. Great little kit. Tamiya regular liquid glue and a little super glue used. Very good fit on all parts. 99% of sprue cut marks are hidden. Couple of tricky bits, I can update more tomorrow when I build Mirage.

Thanks for the play by play! Hope to see more pics. Really good to see these kits built in the wild! Just reassures that the final product is indeed THAT good. I'll have to wait so long... makes me sad.. haha.

Edited by ayaxr

Protip: This series seems especially "insidious" for having some attachment-pegs look VERY much like a sprue gate. It's very easy to snip a piece off the sprue, only to realize you snipped off the attachment peg as well, thinking it was part of the gate. I only did it once on the F-15, but I did it two or three times on the Flanker.

Ok, here's the skinny on these...If you don't own a high quality pair of Xuron hobby snippers, stop reading this immediately and go out and buy a good pair. You can thank me later! After that, all you will need is an Xcto knife, a gel super glue of your choice and I recommend regular Tamiya liquid cement. Some parts require glue 100%, some really don't need it unless you just want to, and some require non at all even if the instructions call for it. READ the instructions carefully and kinda read ahead so you know what's coming next and you can save yourself some time/heartache on a couple of things. The kit IS pre-painted internally for LED lighting in the engines. IF they had included the tiny little LED circuit that's in the instructions, I totally would have attempted it. But I can't read Japanese so I have no idea what it actually says about the LED parts, There are clear parts that go inside the legs down the engine which you can skip putting in if you are not using LED's. I guess it's like a lightpipe thing, pretty cool! TEST FIT every part so you have an idea of how it attaches. This will also tell you whether or not you need glue. The vertical tail fins do require glue and I was careful but still almost got a tiny bit on the blue paint on the wing when attaching them...be careful! I recommend a toothpick with only the tiniest amount of glue on it. The paint will come right off when either type of cement used hits it. You've been warned. The only part that was slightly tricky is early on getting the upper and lower body's together with no gap and then getting the nose cone on..I used superglue for that bit, and literally just held it all together really tight for 30 seconds! Seam lines--- ummm---there aren't any! Moving on! The only sprue marks really that aren't completely hidden are the ones for the feet/engines, I used a tiny amount of Testors Jet Exhaust to touch that up. It almost matches perfectly. I can't think of much else really-- ohh..the canopy closed option I'm gonna have to glue on with Elmers I guess...it is not attached at all, the open canopy has a peg that slots in. I'm gonna finish up the gear and the stand today and I'll post some better pics before I move on to Mirage!

EDIT...For the price of these, I think they are great! Honestly as a one mode at a time kinda guy, mostly fighter, I hope they get a Frontier and Plus and Seven license! I would consider selling A LOT of my 1/60 Bandai DX's and going this route if they did for the space saving aspect alone, not to mention the money.

Edited by derex3592

Mirage was much quicker. Bout 2.5 hours on her. She went together slightly easier/better than Hiyate, and yes, the landing gear could benefit from a wash and some tiny silver detail work if one wanted to display them that way.

post-11393-0-48061200-1473116649_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Looks fantastic!

Question: do the instructions show the front gear installed that way/does it only fit that way? If so, it's bass-ackwards. The bar is pointing to the rear, and that's the bit that engages the shuttle on the catapult for carrier operations.

I think I've seen a few photos online with it installed that way and have been wondering ever since.

Is the Mirage pilot figure different? Also, is the "backplate" for the fighter mode different? (as in, the area surrounding the head---the heads are clearly different, but going back to the V1 VF-25, it's easy to ignore the "surrounding area" difference---but fighter mode always suffers for it if it's not tweaked to perfectly conform to each unique head)

All parts are the same as far as I could tell, the head slot might have been slightly different for Mirage, I didn't notice, I was kinda building fast. It does fit perfectly in the back plate with no gaps. The pilots are painted differently with blue and pink highlights. The heads are different and do have good detailing. The pilots really can't be seen much through the odd color cockpit. Honestly at this scale it doesn't matter if they're all the same IMHO.

Edited by derex3592

My swag haul.

Will start building today.

Gonna start with Mirage first, as a test build as that's the one I care least about if I mess up anything.

Damn that haul, but thats the only way to get you all 3 independent modes of each other. Seems a shame to cannibalize two kits for Gerwalk but.... It just looks soooo good.