hideo kojima and metal gear 3

KingNor

Well, unlike more pessimistic members here I am rather looking forward to the next installment of the series... I've loved every one I've played so far (except for the american-made BS Metal Gear 2: "Snakes Revenge", which isn't Canon anyway).

I might remind the congregation that Metal Gear *IS* Kojima's creation...there likely won't be a true metal gear that he doesn't work on.

True, someone just needs to let the man make a movie just to get it out of his system. I'm quite sure it will be pretty good but enough is enough when it comes to the games. At least things are entertaining in his game unlike drawn out and somewhat boring Xenosaga.

Anyway I'm actually looking forward to Snake Eater. Though I wonder what the twist will be. The whole who Snake really is in this game is to easy to figure out so there has to be something else.

Are you sure it is even Big boss, the trailer from their website said "only snake is the hero" or sumthin like that. BTW, have you guys checked out the 2 new trailer at their website, err maybe i'm just late to them; they're new to me ;) .

IMO, i didn't mind the cutscenes at all, it was like getting the dvd package. So I really don't mind if half of MGS3 is cutscenes. However they probably listen to the thousands of complaints off of konami's site. There isn't a raiden at least. Anyway, this game is in the 60's, right? Thats what i understand from the website. So, I have to wonder if MGS3 is just a redo of MG. Both are in the jungle, and from the looks of it, both snakes parachute from a plane.

MGS3 looks really good, and I only regret selling my ps2 more and more as great titles keep coming. I have posted this in the past, but do any of you have any updates on a ps2 emulator?

Yea Kojima is involved in this one, although I am not sure on what degree.

He stated earlier, shortly after the completion of MGS2 that he wasn't going to do another MGS game, or at least won't be more involved then a consultation role.

MGS2 was great, but I agree in that he went a little overboard on the cinematic experience... although I still think that Xenosaga has the longest cutscenes ever.

I'm looking forward to MGS3, Kojima hasn't done anything to disappoint yet.

He stated earlier, shortly after the completion of MGS2 that he wasn't going to do another MGS game, or at least won't be more involved then a consultation role.

MGS2 was great, but I agree in that he went a little overboard on the cinematic experience... although I still think that Xenosaga has the longest cutscenes ever.

He is Director/Lead Designer.

I cant wait to play this one myself. I have been a Metal Gear fan since 1988.

:D

He is Director/Lead Designer.

I cant wait to play this one myself. I have been a Metal Gear fan since 1988.

:D

Agreed. To me, his "overly cinematic" style is what makes Metal Gear what it is.

I can think of about a million sequel videogames that don't hold up nearly as well.

it's Big Boss, look at some of the trailers, Snake is missing an eye,

as was Big Boss. And the date sets it in Big Boss' time, I also saw an ad from Konami where

the letters B I G B O S S were in flames.

i'll see if I can find the magazine, hope i didn't throw it out already.

I say "unfortunately" because Kojima is a modern-day George Lucas. A once brilliant man who's lost his touch. I've got nothing against "overly cinematic" scenes, just as long as they are compelling and interesting. One of my favorite games is Policenauts, which had about 5 minutes of action for every hour of dialogue. But 70% of MGS2's dialogue was redundant, with the characters repeating themselves over and over again. Not to mention the plot, which was most convoluted mess I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Even Chris Carter's X-Files was less contrived. But I will say that the game's engine was spot on, no complaints here. Konami should keep their programmers, and toss the writer.

One more thing, don't believe anything you see in those trailers. Kojima is renowned for surprising his fans. For all we know, only 10% of the game could involve Big Boss. How quickly we forget the old MGS2 trailers...

Edited by TheLoneWolf

So, I have to wonder if MGS3 is just a redo of MG. Both are in the jungle, and from the looks of it, both snakes parachute from a plane.

tut tut tut.....

he only HALO's in the american version of the game. In the original Japanese version he enters the same way he does in all of the others, by water. The two games are similar, but have differences.

American version:

-Enters by parachute

-Dual gunners on top of building #2

-WTF is General "Vernon Kataffy"?!?!?!? (sounds like a devious bad guy to me...) <_<

-You fight an evil.......... super computer??? It puts up SUCH a hard fight... <_<

-Password protected (really friggin LONG and annoying.. how many times in my youth did I copy a code down incorrectly?)

Japanese version

-Enters VIA water, like all other official metal gear games (so far)

-Hind D helecopter on top of building #2

-Transciever screen has an image of Solid Snake

-You fight Metal Gear itself, which DOES fight back....

-Save-game capable

The maps of the two games are similar but a couple of areas are different (don't really care to mention them here, but if you've played both, you'll know what I mean). The one area where the american version has an advantage is the color pallete. The Japanese version is done completely in dark, drab colors, where the US version has a little more depth and detail (sprites look the same, just different colors)

Dude... we all know it's not Solidus or Big Boss! It's John Kelly!!!

John Kelly? John kelly never existed. And he's of no relation at all to John Clark........

So, a fan of Without Remorse, huh?

nah, cause then Kojima would make the second half of the game about Ding Chavez and people would bitch about how lame he is, cause he's married to John's daughter.

:p:lol:

was the japanese one on msx?

Yes it was... a shame that version never came stateside... or that the REAL Metal Gear 2 (probably the best in the series so far) never made it here either. ROMS and translations can be found online though.

I say "unfortunately" because Kojima is a modern-day George Lucas. A once brilliant man who's lost his touch.

A modern-day George Lucas? As opposed to....the one in the 15th century? :p

The only thing I see about the old SW films as brilliant is the work of ILM back then. I really see no difference between the OT and the new movies. . . its just people are realizing that SW is made for kids. I will give the OT bonus points for an infinitely more bearable love story. I don't think he lost his touch, I just think that he was over-rated to begin with. I still love GL though... I must... afterall he IS the king of all geeks.

One more thing, don't believe anything you see in those trailers.  Kojima is renowned for surprising his fans.  For all we know, only 10% of the game could involve Big Boss.  How quickly we forget the old MGS2 trailers...

True, I think most of us here have a grasp on that. But then, speculation is half the fun of coming attractions! :)

So, I have to wonder if MGS3 is just a redo of MG. Both are in the jungle, and from the looks of it, both snakes parachute from a plane.

tut tut tut.....

he only HALO's in the american version of the game. In the original Japanese version he enters the same way he does in all of the others, by water. The two games are similar, but have differences.

American version:

-Enters by parachute

-Dual gunners on top of building #2

-WTF is General "Vernon Kataffy"?!?!?!? (sounds like a devious bad guy to me...) <_<

-You fight an evil.......... super computer??? It puts up SUCH a hard fight... <_<

-Password protected (really friggin LONG and annoying.. how many times in my youth did I copy a code down incorrectly?)

Japanese version

-Enters VIA water, like all other official metal gear games (so far)

-Hind D helecopter on top of building #2

-Transciever screen has an image of Solid Snake

-You fight Metal Gear itself, which DOES fight back....

-Save-game capable

The maps of the two games are similar but a couple of areas are different (don't really care to mention them here, but if you've played both, you'll know what I mean). The one area where the american version has an advantage is the color pallete. The Japanese version is done completely in dark, drab colors, where the US version has a little more depth and detail (sprites look the same, just different colors)

He parachuted into the jungle in the Gameboy Color Metal Gear game, "Ghost Babel". I am not sure where that game fits into the continuity, but it's definitely after the original game, and before "Solid" on the PS.

Edited by Renato